Can I make my guitar sound like another insturment
New Reply
Subscribe
FenderBluesAAA
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

Can I make my guitar sound like another insturment

I was wondering if it is possible for me to make my guitar sound like another instrument. I found some VST of some instruments I would like my guitar to sound like but they won't work. I think they only work on midi. So I would need a keyboard.

Is there any way I can do this on guitar. If there is, how would I do it.

Thanks.
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Guru

Get an Electroharmonix HOG pedal. That's one way. Another would be to pick up a Dave Smith Mopho and patch your guitar through it as the source source. Both would be fairly inexpensive ways to get a lot of textures from an electric guitar. You can pick up a Mopho used for probably $250.

Be a control freak!
FenderBluesAAA
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Get an Electroharmonix HOG pedal. That's one way. Another would be to pick up a Dave Smith Mopho and patch your guitar through it as the source source. Both would be fairly inexpensive ways to get a lot of textures from an electric guitar. You can pick up a Mopho used for probably $250.
I would like to use these sounds from my computer.

I want to connect my guitar to my computer. I have an interface already but I need a way to make the signal a midi signal.

I found the instruments i want. they are middle eastern and greek instruments that i would like to be using.

someone told me aobut this: Buy Sonuus Sonuus Universal Guitar To Midi Converter | Guitar Synth & MIDI Accessories | Musician's Friend

would this work? if so, how do i set it up?
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear addict

The sonuus is fun but tracking is not fantastic. The setup is simple. Cable from guitar to sonuus. Midi cable from Sonuus to interface. load up VST instrument in your daw. Select you input and start playing. It's mono phonic, so no chords. It's not fast, so the latency is something you'll have to get used to.

Use the neck pickup and turn down the tone control for better tracking.

A roland synth guitar is much faster, but is more expensive, and you need to put that black strip on your guitar.
2nd August 2010
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

I can make my guitar sound like a constipated duck. Does that count?
3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

HAH.

3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBluesAAA View Post
I was wondering if it is possible for me to make my guitar sound like another instrument. I found some VST of some instruments I would like my guitar to sound like but they won't work. I think they only work on midi. So I would need a keyboard.

Is there any way I can do this on guitar. If there is, how would I do it.

Thanks.
You could get one of these babies:

Godin Guitars
3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Guru

3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was wondering if it is possible for me to make my guitar sound like another instrument.
Yes. Buy MIDI pick-up.
3rd August 2010
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Head

You need an interface like an Axon, or Roland GI-20 or Roland VG-99. VG-99 is Roland's top of the line. It has virtual COSM and has midi also.
Then you need a guitar with the builtin divided pickup or you can buy a Roland GK-3 midi pickup.

Guitar with divided pickup > digital guitar interface > sound module.

godin lgx sa items - Get great deals on Electric items on eBay.com!

Roland GK-3 | Sweetwater.com

Roland V-Guitar VG-99 | Sweetwater.com. This has built in cosm sounds (it emulates but works more like the principal of an fx pdeal. Also does midi.

Roland GI-20 - MIDI and USB 13-pin Interface GI-20 - B&H Photo. No audio files. You play a midi sound module.

By the way one of those Godin's for sale is mine. The one with the Earvana. I have a Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster with a GK3 so I'm selling the Godin LGX-SA. I also have a Gibson Dusk Tiger which uses what Gibson calls a RIP box which has the 13 pin connection which is the standard plug that they all use. Really loving the Dusk Tiger.

Gibson.com: Gibson Dusk Tiger

I've used the Godin to make many digital recordings. I started with using a Roland GR-50; then Roland GR-1, then Axon Ax100, and now currently the Roland VG-99.

I will say it's not for the faint of heart depending on your knowledge of Midi. I'd now say computer with Softsynths for sound modules would seem the current way to go.

Good Luck.
FenderBluesAAA
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
Yes. Buy MIDI pick-up.
If I buy a midi pickup can I connect it to my line 6 pod studio UX2 or do I need a special interface for it.

The line 6 pod studio has two instrument inputs and two line inputs. Could I use the Line inputs?
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
If I buy a midi pickup can I connect it to my line 6 pod studio UX2 or do I need a special interface for it.

The line 6 pod studio has two instrument inputs and two line inputs. Could I use the Line inputs?
No. It doesn't work that way.

Google MIDI. Digital (midi) guitar is a different thing. It uses 6 sources, it's hexaphonic.

Multi-transducer pickups

Hexaphonic pickups (also called divided pickups and polyphonic pickups) have a separate output for each string (Hexaphonic assumes six strings, as on a guitar). This allows for separate processing and amplification for each string. It also allows a converter to sense the pitch coming from individual string signals for producing note commands, typically according to the MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) protocol. A hexaphonic pickup and a converter are usually components of a guitar/synthesizer.

Such pickups are uncommon (compared to normal ones), and only a few notable models exist. Hexaphonic pickups can be either magnetic or piezoelectric.

Hexaphonic Pickup (ie. Roland GK3 or Transducers in the bridge of Godin LGX SA guitar) goes through a 13 pin cable (Roland set the standard that everyone uses) to an Interface Box (Roland GI20, GR series, VG-99, Axon etc.) this converts to MIDI which feeds a Sound Source (midi sound module) or the equivalent in software program in a Computer (DAW etc.). Through a midi interface or USB.

Monophonic mode ie. each string feeds it's own sound module or you could set it to polyphonic where all six strings play one sound module. Practically you wouldn't do that though because a pitch bend of one string would be pitch bending all the other strings since they share the same sound module in Poly Mode.

MIDI (Musical Instrumental Digital Interface is kind of the modern equivalent of a player piano scroll. Since it's inception it's kind of become ubiquitous. It's used all the time to control things, you have it in all kinds of programs now where you don't know it's being used. It's a control language. Lighting rigs, even machinery can be controlled by it. More current versions are bypassing it's original speed limitations by basically being interpreted in faster protocols.

When you get to a unit like the Roland VG 99 it has the midi digital part but they also have taken the use of the Hexaphonic pickup to control software emulations of sound. Called virtualization. COSM Componenet Object Software Modeling) is there trademark name for it. Basically you could think of it as imitating things more like an effects pedal while MIDI is like a scroll playing on a player piano.
7th August 2010
Old 7th August 2010
Gear interested

Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but the new Moog E1 Guitar w/MIDI is an amazing way to get endless options of making your guitar sound like something very different. In addition to the MIDI capabilities, you get infinite sustain, filter effects, and piezo blend. taking it to the next level!
FenderBluesAAA
8th August 2010
Old 8th August 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys for the help. I'm going to wait a while on this though and do it sometime when I know exactly what I'm looking for.
2nd November 2010
Old 2nd November 2010
Gear interested

gk 3

i'm searching for it also!
I've got very stoked about strings intro MIDI.

Please, check Flashbulb that what I'm searching for: YouTube - The Flashbulb - Improvised MIDI Guitar

There's a GK 3 and very nice effects but it has also a lot of gears (not my interest at the moment).

My question is: can I use ONLY GK 3 and do some tricks on Guitar Rig / Ableton ? Or I do need another Roland/etc gear?

Cheers!
3rd November 2010
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

my "yourock guitar" replaced my gi 20/roland pickup.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search