8th December 2005
Old 8th December 2005
Banned

. . .

. . .
8th December 2005
Old 8th December 2005
Gear maniac

Pretty much any G4. If you want Dual boot with OS9 you should be careful. The MDD 1.25 was the last of that kind. I found the Quicksilver 933 to be the best G4 for Mix systems.
8th December 2005
Old 8th December 2005
Lives for gear

hi

I would go with a G4 800 QS or an 933.
9th December 2005
Old 9th December 2005
Gear addict

I use a mirror-door dual 1GHZ with the upgraded power-supply, and it works great - my only warning would be IF you buy a mirror-door, make sure it has the newer power supply - the older one was referred to as "The Wind Tunnel" because of the noise it made.

10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs up both are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl
Pretty much any G4. If you want Dual boot with OS9 you should be careful. The MDD 1.25 was the last of that kind. I found the Quicksilver 933 to be the best G4 for Mix systems.
We have both types at our studio, and they work fine. I prefer the horsepower of the dual, particularly if you want to use Mach Five, but they are both worthy machines.
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

More speed is gonna be better w/ soft synths and stuff, but in terms of sheer bang for the buck to replace your 400 I would get a 733 Digital Audio. Not the Quicksilver one but the one that looks like your 400. Probably under $400 these days on ebay.
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
Gear addict

I was using a dual 1gig Quicksilver with my MIX system and it was great. It was expandable to 1.5gig of RAM which helped, and it was incredibly stable. Got mine for $800 about a year ago.

I would avoid the Quicksilver version of the 733 (can't speak for the other 733). It had a very weak L-cache that was a real bottlneck for that machine.

Hope that helps,

- proxy
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
I would avoid the Quicksilver version of the 733 (can't speak for the other 733). It had a very weak L-cache that was a real bottlneck for that machine.

Hope that helps,

- proxy
Yup. That's the diff. 1MB level 3 cache on the dig audio model, no level 3 cache on the quicksilver.
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
Gear maniac

I have MDD Dual 867, QS 933 and Grey 466. The reason I would recommend the 933 is because it's the fastest stable machine that runs relatively quiet. My MDD makes a huge noise. To upgrade the PSU is expensive, so I use it for Cubase and some virtual instruments with a slower fan. The problem with the MDD and Mix system is that they end up running very hot. I had all sorts of problems with 4 mix cards and the PSU in the Dual 867.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search