Geert van den Berg
23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Lives for gear

G5 it's here...

23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Gear Head

Just about what was predicted. My only beef is the fact that there's only 2 drive bays. I guess with fiber channel and FW800 it shouldn't really matter but naked drives are still cheaper.
Now we get to wait for all the developers to go 64 bit. Wheeeeee!
Still, it looks like a killer machine and IBM is predicting a 3GHz G5 within a year. Nice.
23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Gear Head

Yep... as Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part. The M.I. industry certainly has some development work cut out for them: true 64-bit apps, PCI-X audio cards, etc. It'll be awhile before DAW studios based on G5's are a regular thing.

Native processing has certainly taken a big leap with the introduction of the Apple G5. Its sneakers may have just left the pavement, but it'll be very interesting to watch where they land in the next year or so.
23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Lives for gear

The Low End unit just flat out sucks for the price. Spend the extra $400 if you can to get double the Ram HD and PCI-X.

Nice design. I've warmed up to it already and the interior layout is beyond reproach. You can eat off this thing.

Dual 2Ghz...yowza. That's fast! And at $3k it's within reach of plenty of people.

3Ghz within 12 months is great news for the platform. Hell I bet they go to 3.5 if they need to .

dfegad Intel

I want.

Notice though...starting at 1.6ghz will allow Apple to ship a 1.2Ghz iMac 970 for us folks that want speed without shelling out $2k
23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Gear Head

Is PCI-X backward compatible with PCI ?
23rd June 2003
Old 23rd June 2003
Gear Head

I believe it is but it's only as fast as the slowest card on the buss. So if you've got an old 33MHz card in there that's as fast as you'll go. I've never maxed out the PCI bus myself.
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

They say fan noise is 3x less than with the G4, nice.
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
The Low End unit just flat out sucks for the price. ...
Now come one, Think Different. Go to the Apple store and change out the superdrive for a CD-RW and delete the modem, now you've got a great entry level CPU for $1770.
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by robot gigante
They say fan noise is 3x less than with the G4, nice.
maybe that is why the last run of G4s had such loud fans... they wanted this to sound quiet!

24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by JBlake
Just about what was predicted. My only beef is the fact that there's only 2 drive bays. I guess with fiber channel and FW800 it shouldn't really matter but naked drives are still cheaper.
Now we get to wait for all the developers to go 64 bit. Wheeeeee!
Still, it looks like a killer machine and IBM is predicting a 3GHz G5 within a year. Nice.

Yes booo! I liked having internal SCSI drives! Grr. IDE drives are pretty humongous now though.

Too bad the G5 doesn't have a built in Fibre HBA!
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

It's cheaper than I expected. Mac bang for the buck just doubled, at least. Pretty impressive.

Regards,
Brian T
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

I wish it had the same prices as the G4s... and it almos does, doesn't it? What am I saying?
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Mac Moderator

Can't wait to get a Dual 2 Gig in and run some 'real' tests against one of our top of the line Wintel boxes.....
One of the top AU developers was in Frankfurt during the WWDC 'show' and was shown Logic running over 100 Platinverbs...... and with Both CPU's only showing 40 percent!!!!!!

I worry for Digi at this point

Al.
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by MCal
Can't wait to get a Dual 2 Gig in and run some 'real' tests against one of our top of the line Wintel boxes.....
One of the top AU developers was in Frankfurt during the WWDC 'show' and was shown Logic running over 100 Platinverbs...... and with Both CPU's only showing 40 percent!!!!!!

Al.
Are you sure you want to do that ?

You'll have to change your signature to '... about my G5 tests tonight.'
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Mac Moderator

LOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

Oh god.. I just pee'd myself

Al.
24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Mindreader

ha

24th June 2003
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MCal

Al.
Al,

Will you have to wait til August too or will 'people like you' get your hands on them sooner?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search