Why won't ProTools play?
New Reply
Subscribe
Dragonfly
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear maniac

Why won't ProTools play?

I can't figure out what this could be. Sometimes when I open PT I hit play, the play button flashes in the transport, then the stop buttom flashes, and it goes nowhere. If I quit the program and open it back up sometimes it reverts itself and plays fine. What could this be? I'd like to know if I can just fix this without wasting time closing the session.

Thanks guys
Dante
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

paging Dr. Rogut.
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear addict

I saw this last week with someone using an MBox with Pro Tools 7.0

Restarting the Mac fixed it... I think the Mac lost connection with the MBox.

You could try unplugging the MBox and reconnecting it.

Rail
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I can't figure out what this could be. Sometimes when I open PT I hit play, the play button flashes in the transport, then the stop buttom flashes, and it goes nowhere. If I quit the program and open it back up sometimes it reverts itself and plays fine. What could this be? I'd like to know if I can just fix this without wasting time closing the session.

Thanks guys
Dante
pro tools won't work if your computer has been sleeping
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

I get the same thing from time to time. When you press play, the play and stop buttons flash at the same time.

I posted this on the DUC and called Digi tech support several times.

My computer is set to sleep 'never' and has been set that way since I installed PT.

Never found the answer; I asked just about everyone who ever used PT.
2nd December 2005
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear addict

The Pro Tools software settings to check are:

1. MMC set in the Transport Window instead of Pro Tools
2. Count off has been toggled (numeric 8 key)
3. Is Pro Tools online?

Rail
3rd December 2005
Old 3rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut

3. Is Pro Tools online?

Rail
Rail:

I do think you're the guy who can sort this out, if it can be sorted out. I'm aware of the three points you mention above. I think this 'bug' only affects some systems. When it happens, the only thing that usually fixes it is to quit and re-start PT.

I think the fact that I can see the 'stop' button flash momentarily when I press the 'play' button may be a key to this, whatever it is. BTW, the 'play' button flashes, too, as it should.

It is exasperating. The Digi support guys had never heard of it. I ran into a couple of other people who have seen it.

002 rack/dual 2.0 G5/6 Gigs RAM/Rosetta 800/PTLE 6.9.2/OS 10.4.2/record-to drive is backed-up and erased regularly/record time usually set at 30 min.
5th December 2005
Old 5th December 2005
Gear addict

I've had this problem before. I've since installed a later version of Protools and OSX and not seen it again, but I never did fathom what was causing it.

However,

While I was having this issue, I did find that changing the buffer to a different size to what you are currently using, then changing it back stopped the problem ( well, until it happened again at least ).

To be clear, if you're using a buffer of 1024 samples, change it to 256 samples then change it back again to 1024 for example. Protools should then play.
5th December 2005
Old 5th December 2005
Lives for gear

This happens to me all the time when I'm using way too many RTAS plugins than I should be. Try increasing the buffer setting. If it's maxed out, you might be maxing out your system.
Dragonfly
6th December 2005
Old 6th December 2005
Gear maniac

It could possibly be that my computers screensaver went on, although my computers sleep function is set on 2 hours or so, I think the last time this happened I had just restarted, or brought it out of sleep and then opened ProTools. In the meantime, I guess restarting works, but it is a strange glitch.

Dante
6th December 2005
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar
While I was having this issue, I did find that changing the buffer to a different size to what you are currently using, then changing it back stopped the problem ( well, until it happened again at least ).
Seems that it wasn't about the buffer size as much as it was about re-starting the engine by changing the buffer size.

'Cause it would do it with any number of tracks/plugins.
8th December 2005
Old 8th December 2005
Gear interested

Send a message via MSN to Tprodusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly

Thanks guys
Dante
That has happened to me as well ... I believe it's a bug in protools ... it always works when u restart ...!
9th December 2005
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

Not sure about a solution for this specific problem as I've never encountered it myself...... BUT, always set 'sleep' to 'never' in energy saver.....
Also, Safari can 'leak' RAM usage over a period of time. If you leave Safari open it can use up to 1GB in an hour (just check the Activity Monitor).
Make sure you have enough RAM (and that it's functioning correctly).
If you're using an MBox, check your USB cable (try swapping it out, and see if that helps)
9th December 2005
Old 9th December 2005
Gear nut

I use the standard Apple mouse that comes with a G5 and I sometimes have a problem where the mouse acts up and will select a small section of audio rather than place the cursor at a point where I want playback to start. When I press play, Protools plays back the selection which is only a couple milliseconds long and then stops. Could this be the same problem?
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Gear nut

^ No that's not the problem. When it happens, I don't change the selection, I just wait a while, then press the spacebar again, and I repeat this process until it finally starts playing.

A simple Pro Tools restart does fix this.

Max cooper, did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem, and it's not any of the 3 things Rail posted. I will try changing the buffer size back and forth, but obviously that's not a permanent solution.
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

I had the same problem, the fact is that i was building a new system at that time and I had many problems not just that one, so it's gonna be hard ti understand what fixed that, but let's try.

The very first thing to know is if you're using mac or pc; second did you recently install some new plugins? did you try to delete the preferences folders? (this is the first thing to do when PT has a problem)
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Gear nut

I'm on a PC, Windows XP, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 1.4Ghz, 140GB free hard drive space, and about 200GB free hard drive space on the external.

Yes I did recently delete the preferences because bouncing wasn't working. But this playback issue started yesterday. Restarting Pro Tools fixed it. It does seem better since I changed the buffer back and forth and deleted the preferences.

I guess I will need to experiment and see just how often this problem comes back. I was just wondering if he ever found a permanent solution.
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Had the same problem - only solution was a total restart.

Have you used the ProTools Debugging help from DUC: Viewing list of forums step by step? It could be something obscure.
5th July 2008
Old 5th July 2008
Lives for gear

I also have this problem from time to time since PT 7.3.1.

As mentionec above posts (2 1/2 years ago), you don't even need to restart. You can refresh the playback engine by simply changing your hardware buffer, say, if you're on 1024, change to 2048, then change back to 1024. It'll only take you few secs to do it (please try this).

I found out each time I have this problem is when PT is busy playing back something and there's sudden release of RAM loads, say, in Kontakt Player 2, I have several instruments, and I'm triggering a MIDI channel to audition some instruments (without having PT playback the song), but I delete the instrument before the sound stop (you know, maybe some long decay things like cymbal hit or tom hit). This could also happen when you playback a song, and you found out the reverb plugin sounded crap, and you removed the reverb plugin after you stop the song but the tail is still ringing away.
5th July 2008
Old 5th July 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
On PC...same problem every now and then. I pretty much narrowed it down to some such of RAM bug when using protools.

The problem usually happens if I let the PC set for a while with protools opened.
never tried the "resetting buffer size" thing, but if I turn the 002R off and on, everything runs good again.

Docta'J aka Big NUK
Practice Makes Progress
www.twitter.com/nukmusic
5th July 2008
Old 5th July 2008
Gear maniac

Hello,

I have seen this before many times and mostly on laptops that just don't run PT well. I was able to duplicate the problem on a desktop last year, over and over again. Changed the Firewire card and it never happened again. That system was running the 002 with LE 7.3.
6th July 2008
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Good point - I had this problem in 7.3 on a Laptop... but not since moving to 7.4.2

-s
8th July 2008
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

I'm guessing because as I said isn't easy to understand what causes that, anyway, do you use vst using a vst wrapper? Any luck deleting the preference folders? Reinstalling PT including the cs updates? If you have a dual core AMD processor, did you installed the dualcore optimizer (from AMD site) and the hotfix (from MS site)?
9th July 2008
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

I've seen the same issue on all versions, including 7.4cs4. It's a nuisance, but I've always been able to overcome it by restarting - sometimes more than once. Once a session comes up without the problem, I don't think I've seen it again, so it's been just a minor nuisance for me. I'll give that sample buffer change a try the next time it shows up.
2nd October 2008
Old 2nd October 2008
Lives for gear

BUMP!

Working on a MacPro with the latest PTLE M-Powered software and ProFire Lightbridge.

So far PTLE is running very quirky. Very unhappy here. The play and stop buttons blink on and off repeatedly, the audio will play (you can hear it) but the counter etc is frozen... then somtimes the audio will not play at all... and other minor strange quirks.

Restarting the rig will sometimes rid the issue for a short while but then it comes right back.

Any updated info on this? Anyone with the M-Powered package and the Lightbridge have any wisdom to share other than tossing all this stuff in the trash?
2nd October 2008
Old 2nd October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post

3. Is Pro Tools online?

Rail
We have a winner.

It's almost always the 'online' button has been pressed.
Y'all need to spend more time on your rigs.
2nd October 2008
Old 2nd October 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Rock View Post
We have a winner.

It's almost always the 'online' button has been pressed.
Y'all need to spend more time on your rigs.
No, it's nothing to do with Protools being on line.

And, I probably need to spend LESS time on my rig to be honest.
5th May 2010
Old 5th May 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to kheftel Send a message via Yahoo to kheftel
I know I'm waaaayyyy late to the game on this thread, but I am having the same problem as the OP and I wanted to say that changing the HW buffer size fixed it for me! I don't have to restart PT anymore! Thanks Gearslutz!

P.s. My rig:
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 5GB RAM running OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1
002R

Utah Recording Studio
"Life without music is a journey through the desert."
24th July 2010
Old 24th July 2010
Gear interested

Neve r to late my friend!
I have 2 play back PT rigs, running on older macs, only 3 tracks playing, no plug ins, no internet. I have another laptop for emails and reports. I play 1 smpte track to a time code slate, 1 stereo music track to recorder and play back speakers. Oh course this happens when you need the system to work the most. Never had this problem on my desk top? I will try the buffer thing and see if that works.
Still running pt 7.3.1 on a Mac ppc OS X 10.4.11, with digi 002
it only needs to play back 3 tracks...
Regards
Eric
26th July 2010
Old 26th July 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to kheftel Send a message via Yahoo to kheftel
The buffer thing works for me every time. I just change it to some other setting, then back to the one I want, and poof! it works. Apparently changing the buffer setting restarts the audio engine and makes ProTools happy again. Darn machines...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search