What's the best laptop for music recording?
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear interested

What's the best laptop for music recording?

I need to get a new laptop. I've been on the pc laptops for a while but I am thinking of going MAC. I also plan on getting into video as well though music recording and production is priority. Right now I'm using Reasons 4 with cubase but plan to move to Logic. I am using M-Audio Ozone for the mobile freedom it gives me.

I want the most for my money and really don't want to spend more than $2000 for a Powerful Beast of a laptop. I want quad core i7 with 500GB minimum internal HD and 4GB minimum of memory.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear addict

My MBP (2009 17", 3.06ghz, 500gb, logic 9.1.1, leopard 64bit.) works great.
Runs a bit hot at 175 if I open too many plugins, but other than that it doesn't seem to mind. The new 64 bit Logic seems a tad less stable, but I've developed better saving habits because of it. thumbsup
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear Head

Well, if you want to run Logic you obviously need a mac. Get the most MBP you can afford and enjoy!

(Switching to a mac, for me, was a glorious experience)
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogybanga View Post
I want quad core i7 with 500GB minimum internal HD and 4GB minimum of memory.
in a Mac laptop? you might want to wait a couple of years.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
in a Mac laptop? you might want to wait a couple of years.
Quad core will most likely come in the next MBP refresh which is generally a year from the last. Other than that what the OP asked for is already in the current line up. Also, the current base model MBP is faster than the first gen Mac Pro which is what I was using before and had more than enough power. I'll take a Mac any day over some generic machine that runs windows and was slapped together by a company that also makes CDRs.
Old 5th July 2010
Gear interested

Just recently purchased a Sony Vaio F Series . i7 Quad Core , 350 gb HD ( of course you can get 500 ) 4 gb ram . This thing flies and it is quite an impressive looking computer compared to most laptops ... Cost me under $ 1,100 with shipping .
Notebookcheck: Review Sony Vaio VPC-F11Z1/E Notebook
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

and you are using firewire interface? with that Sony?
DPC latency?
buffer settings?

FYI i dont think LOGIC will run on it the OP needs a MAC.

Scott
ADK
Old 5th July 2010
My Mac laptops have always been fine and dandy running Reason. You may consider Reason / Record with a laptop and avoid Logic / Pro Tools unless you have a tower. Pro Tools has never worked well for me on a laptop.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search