Login / Register

Anyone using their Profire 2626 in Windows 7 64-bit?
New Reply
Subscribe
jot902
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Gear interested

Anyone using their Profire 2626 in Windows 7 64-bit?

So? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit for the first time and its not playing nice with my M-audio Profire 2626. It has no issues detecting the unit, but I can only get about 30 seconds worth of playback before the audio completely drops out. Very frustrating! it does this with everything (Reaper, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, etc).

One thing I noticed is under the "about" tab for the profire 2626 software is that it says my operating system is Windows Vista 64.. Even though I have installed the latest driver specifically for Windows 7 64-bit. :\

If anyone could shed some light on the situation or list off their Software/Firmware versions I would be most grateful!

Software: 5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1
Firmware: 1.0.10
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
I can only get about 30 seconds worth of playback before the audio completely drops out.
I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear interested

Got the same problem too.... is there a solution?
12th February 2011
Old 12th February 2011
Gear interested

Hi gang,

I'm not sure if this suggestion will solve the issue, but it worked well for me when I used a 2626 on my Win7-64bit machine;

1) Open up 'device manager', look for the 1394 Driver section...open that up and then right click on the driver.
2) Now select 'properties'
3) Then select 'update driver'
4) Then select 'browse computer'
5) Then select 'Let me pick from list...'
6) Then select the '(Legacy)' compliant driver

For good measure, reboot. That should solve 90% of the pops/cracks under Win7 64-bit. The following guide is a recommendation for anyone using a Windows 7 machine as their DAW. These power profile settings are designed to be relevent on newer machines (dual-core / quad-core). I pulled this off the Presonus Forums for your convenience....

Optimizing Windows Vista/7 Power Settings for DAW operations
What is the issue?

Newer CPUs (Intel Core series and others) offer a variety of power-saving features. With Windows Vista and Windows 7, these features can be used to great effect, and some of them also improve performance of single-threaded applications. However, these features actually have a negative effect on multi-threaded applications that work near system time, such as most DAW software packages.
These features include Speedstep (EIST), the C-States (C1e, C3, C6), Core Parking, and Turbo Boost. The following are descriptions of these features and their effects:
  • Speedstep and the C-States (C1e, C3, C6): allows disabling or throttling of individual CPUs. While this may not hurt performance directly, waking those CPUs to full power takes time, leading to processing peaks and crackles/drop-outs.
  • Core Parking: disables individual CPUs (normally the virtual hyper-threading ones) and is used for OS-based multi-core-scheduling. This also leads to delays on parking/unparking, causing crackles and drop-outs.
  • Turbo Boost: enables internal overclocking of individual cores/CPUs, while at the same time shutting down other cores (keeping temperatures safe). While this can raise performance of single-threaded applications by up to 10%, the switching causes delay, and therefore crackles/dropouts.
All of these delays can additionally hurt internal bus communication, causing, for instance, issues with the FireWire bus. So, if your FireStudio, or other FireWire interface, is not working correctly, even though you have a nice big Intel Core i7 processor, this might be the reason.

What is the solution?

So, how do you avoid all this trouble? As a PC-user, you could go into the BIOS and explicitly disable these features across the board. But, you might be putting your computer to other uses where these features actually help. So, we created an additional power profile (Vista/Win7 only) which you can switch to/from at any time, even while applications are running.
Download the 'audio-power-settings zip' file and follow these instructions:
  1. Extract the zip file to the C:/ root directory.
  2. Navigate to the 'addconfig.cmd' file, right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.
  3. A pop-up window will very briefly appear, indicating the command is running. When this disappears, the new power profile should already be selected and in use. Check this under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options.
What exactly does this profile do?

This 'Audio Processing' profile disables processor idle states, processor throttling, core parking and Turbo Boost. You can go to the Power Options and deselect this profile at any time, if you want to use your computer as a low power media-server, for instance. Then, before (or while) running your DAW software, select the 'Audio Processing' profile, and all is well.
To see the results of this power profile in action, open the Task Manager and view Performance, switching back and forth from the Audio Processing profile and any other. If this power profile has any negative impact on your system, simply switch to another profile. There are no permanent changes made to your system with this profile.

To get the zip file, click here....
http://presonus.zendesk.com/attachme...r-settings.zip

Good luck, and I hope this helps .
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Gear interested

FirePro 2626 does not work in hp8760w win7 64bit SP1...it does get recognised (it gets even the mic signal)but drops out when system starts to communicate with it (open whichever music software)...tried "Audio Processig" power mode, disabled all audio devices in bios..nothing works...ok, same poblem as decibed above...
is there a sollution by now?
Best regards
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Finnish
Win7 64bit SP1 here, 5.10.0.5082 driver IIRC. 99% sure of that.

Not a single problem here... And I've read other users are also sailing more than smoothly with Win7 64bit and 2626
WD Caviar Black 1 Tb,7200 rpm,64 Mt,SATA-600
Samsung Bluray-DVD
THERMALTAKE ToughPower Grand 650W
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
M-Audio ProFire2626
EMU 0404 USB
MPatch2, BCF2000
GAP pre-73 x2
GAP R1 tube active ribbon mic
REAPER all the way!

My "studio":

My band/recordings:
The Puikot
9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Gear interested

I am sorry, but i do not understand; "5.10.0.5082 driver IIRC. 99% sure of that." Please explain with more details...i have driver 6.0.9.16104 installed and it suppose to be newer, better...Or is it that i should try with older...version 5.10.0.5082?
Thanks for effort
Best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Win7 64bit SP1 here, 5.10.0.5082 driver IIRC. 99% sure of that.

Not a single problem here... And I've read other users are also sailing more than smoothly with Win7 64bit and 2626
9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry for confusion... I have driver 6.0.9, should be the same that you're using
11th September 2011
Old 11th September 2011
Gear interested

Problem solved with ExpressCard manufactured by STLab, model IEEE1394a.
:-)
11th September 2011
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsHP8760w View Post
Problem solved with ExpressCard manufactured by STLab, model IEEE1394a.
:-)
Good to know, way to go!
12th September 2011
Old 12th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I used one until about a year ago, when I realized I didn't need 8 preamps and went for the higher quality (basically seeking superior DA converters...) of an RME FFUC. Didn't have any problems at all in Win 7 x64, worked really well. The drivers didn't give me any trouble either. I'm sure it's a firewire issue with your computer/FW card.

BTW, it's an excellent interface if you need 8 preamps and expandability (three of them can be linked together) but you're not willing to spend a fortune.
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Gear interested

I tried the posted solution and now I only have the option of 44.1? I'm running windows 7 64 bit and every thing is recognized the only problem I have is that I am getting no output from the 2626. The mixer out is assigned to output 1 and 2 and I have my monitors plugged in to that but get nothing. =(((
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Fix for windows 7 64bit crashes

Go to your Router tab and uncheck software returns 17-24 & 25-26.

should stop the crashing
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search