logic/nuendo/protools/etc.
New Reply
Subscribe
chazwood
25th June 2010
Old 25th June 2010
Gear addict

logic/nuendo/protools/etc.

OK. This is a honest question from someone who would like to know.....(me)....not someone wanting to start a flame contest.
Logic is $500
Nuendo is $1800 (with a dongle)
A rather large difference of $1300 (if you don't include the aggrivation of a dongle.)
If Nuendo sounds better, I'm all over it....but if they sound the same?
Why the huge price difference?
What am I missing here?
25th June 2010
Old 25th June 2010
Gear maniac

They all sound the same!!! A/B the features to see which one's more suitable. I know that with logic you get 80 plugins a massive amount of samples/loops, samplers,synth modules, amp simulators, etc. & that's not to mention Soundtrack Pro and mainstage. I don't know anything about Nuendo. ProTools is starting to catch on and give you a little more to start with but nothing close to what logic does. Like I said read up on the 3 to see which one suits your needs but remember that they all are capable of the same things in the long run and they won't sound any different. Anyone that tells you otherwise is crazy.
25th June 2010
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

This comes down to what you want to do.

I have both Nuendo 4 and LOGIC 9.

Nuendo is much more tailored to post production but can still do all the pre-production / music creative stuff all day long.

LOGIC is bundle with great effects and instruments and for the price is an absolute no brainer. This is much more tailored to music production. This is what it excels at, IMHO.

I prefer, by far, the mixing side of things with Nuendo. Just so simple, straight foreword and intuitive. Logic is not logical to me and a PITA to learn from scratch, IMHO - but there is no denying you can still do pro stuff because it's a pro App.

So what do you want to do. Music creation (LOGIC), Post production (NUENDO) - both (NUENDO)

Paul

Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8core with OS X 10.6.3 and 16 gig ram, Prism Orpheus 1.05, Nuendo 5.0, UAD2, Brauner VMA, Neve 1073 DPD, Genelec 8050a, Lexicon PCM96, Kurzweil KSP8, Fractal AXE FX Ultra v10.0.1

www.sterlingservices.biz
25th June 2010
Old 25th June 2010
Gear addict

Economically, Apple have an incentive to make the Logic price appear attractive to home users because it encourages people to use their hardware. If you already have a computer running Windows but no Mac, then the extra price of Nuendo is offset by the price of a new computer. For the pro market software isn't so price-sensitive, because $1,300 is not a large sum of money compared to most of the things in a studio/post house.

In terms of value-for-money, it's really down to whoever has to operate it. I don't know either piece of software all that well, but there are considerably more expensive and less expensive DAWs, which when it comes down to it all have largely the same function—of course each has strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps some unorthodox unique features/sample libraries/effects bundled with it. If the workflow of Nuendo allows you to make $1,300 (by doing some things quicker, for example) more over the lifetime of the software than Logic would, then it's a no-brainer to buy Nuendo. Otherwise, Logic obviously wins.

Also, Cubase is considerably cheaper than Nuendo and, like Logic, probably aimed at more of a music-creation market than Nuendo is.
LQM
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Cubase is the logical competitor to Logic, Nuendo (while offering all of the functionality of Cubase if you buy the NEK or whatever) is designed for post production and has more in depth features for video, music for picture and broadcast standard features.

The sound quality, in spite of what some people who take hallucinogenic drugs in this forum believe, is equally high in both applications, if you know how to set them up and use them.

I prefer Cubase/Nuendo's workflow but Logic is an excellent value program with a lot of useable (if ageing and very obvious as they are heard everywhere) plugins and synths and Logic has gotten easier to use in the last couple of releases IMHO. If you have a Mac, you should probably at least explore Logic, even if you end up going with Cubase.

Protools LE/M-Powered has improved it's MIDI a lot in v8, but still has too many limitations for my liking, no freeze, no plugin delay compensation, no fast bounce, number of track limitations, poor video support unless you buy an expensive add on toolkit, etc, etc. A full blown PTHD system costing several thousand dollars on DSP cards is a different proposition altogether, although many feel that the days of DSP/TDM based systems will come to an end soon, unless something drastic is done and the pricing comes down.
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Gear addict

I wish you all could make up your mind as to which one is the best....all these choices make my head hurt.
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
Logic is $500
Nuendo is $1800 (with a dongle)

If Nuendo sounds better, I'm all over it....but if they sound the same?
Why the huge price difference?
What am I missing here?
Nuendo and Cubase have the SAME sound engine, they are identical there. Nuendo has all the other POST stuff as LQM said. If your doing music then Cubase is what you want to go with. What LQM stated about Protools M-Powered/LE, hes spot on there. I sold Protools LE here for those reasons.

Ive had Protools LE 8, Logic 8, Cubase 5 here. Honestly, if you had Cubase or Logic or BOTH, youd never need another app. Please DONT waste your money on Nuendo UNLESS your a post, video guy. Youd know if you needed NUENDO BTW.
chazwood
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Gear addict

I was handed the keys to a studio with an older PC and nuendo 2... and I own logic 9 (and a 3.06 MBP). I was trying to decide if upgrading the PC with Nuendo on it was a good option or if I should switch the studio over to the mac and logic.
The studio computer and Nuendo would both have to be upgraded.
I could get by for now with the mac and logic without any investment.
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was handed the keys to a studio with an older PC and nuendo 2... and I own logic 9 (and a 3.06 MBP). I was trying to decide if upgrading the PC with Nuendo on it was a good option or if I should switch the studio over to the mac and logic.
The studio computer and Nuendo would both have to be upgraded.
I could get by for now with the mac and logic without any investment.
Nuendo 2 upgrade to Nuendo 5 = $500
" " with NEK expansion =$649

That plus your PC build

Or you could use Nuendo or Logic with your MBP
chazwood
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Gear addict

hmmmmm. $500 for the upgrade huh? upgrading might be a better option for the owner . I think he's a little leery of switching to logic because he doesn't know it.
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmmmm. $500 for the upgrade huh? upgrading might be a better option for the owner . I think he's a little leery of switching to logic because he doesn't know it.
Buy now

Also, you can always have him export the WAVE files from Nuendo and visa versa from LOGIC so you guys can work together. Easy peasy man. Best of both.
chazwood
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Gear addict

sweet! Thanks for the help!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search