Old 6th June 2010
Gear interested

First DAW PC

Hey guys, time for another “How’s my Build” post.

I’m just getting started and so there are a lot of variables to consider. I’m currently using a ~2005 Dell Dimension 8400, so I’m consigned to the fact that I will need to build a new computer for anything audio related.

Components:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...

This comes to around $750 with some other hardware, and I’d like to try and keep it sub-$1k unless there is something glaringly insufficient. Is there anything I'm missing, or anything I'd do well to upgrade and be thankful for in 3 years? There might be a better motherboard out there.

I’ve read a few threads where people really push the i7’s, but they come at a hefty premium (alas, there is no microcenter near me unfortunately). Motherboards can likewise get stupidly expensive. The two HDs are for storage, though I haven’t really worked out the best strategy: one for OS, raid1 for storage/mixing? What do you use?

Lastly, I was thinking about making the jump to Windows 7 64-bit. The end-goal is to hook up a TC Electronics Konnet48. There seem to be a lot of driver issues with that, but I’m just going to focus on building a decent daw and go from there.

Advice and recommendations are appreciated!
Old 7th June 2010
Gear addict

Looks fine, but I'd spend the extra money on a i7 860 to match with that board through as it's better value power wise.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search