Sonar 8.5 vs. Reaper
prophet
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Gear addict

Sonar 8.5 vs. Reaper

I've used Sonar for a few years, but stumbled across Reaper here. sounds interesting. has anyone compared Sonar and Reaper and might give some insight? thanks.
Baz
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Dude, do a search, seriously
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Dude, do a search, seriously
Do you REALLY need to post this???? You just wasted your time posting this and didnt help at all BTW so the face palm belongs to yourself for wasting your own time.

If you really dont intend to HELP just click off the thread, its pretty easy to do

And dude, I did your search you suggested with Sonar 8.5 first then Reaper first, then Sonar 8.5 vs Reaper, then the opposite and found NOTHING

So, if YOU can find something, let us know
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
I've used Sonar for a few years, but stumbled across Reaper here. sounds interesting. has anyone compared Sonar and Reaper and might give some insight? thanks.
The biggest thing for me is that Sonar has the SNAP function which works well.
Reapers elastic audio if you want to call it is quite messy IMO.
Sonar is also much easier setting up your controllers to adjust parameters.

Reaper on the other hand has the most flexible routing Ive seen yet on any DAW. I think Reaper is less cluttered GUI wise as well. Reaper's takes is quite messy as well.

You can download the DEMO here and check it out for free:
REAPER | Download
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

You will indeed find comparative info at the Reaper forum.

Non-commercial Reaper license: $60
Sonar 8.5 = $350

1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Everybody arguing about the price, f-in a$$holes!
You want to spend thousands on gear and plug-ins, but skimp out on your main tool - the DAW!
You are forgetting that 60$ is for home and small businesses. Reaper costs about $260 or so for commercial licenses.
You don't choose a DAW based on the price. You choose it for the workflow/features/stability.
Audacity is free, yet I don't see it praised as the ultimate DAW. I guess FREE is too cheap.

The thing is, I kinda loathe Reaper. I am a Sonar guy myself, but lately I have been frustrated with Sonar 8.5.3 both the 64bit version and the 32 bit, on windows 7.
Sonar X64 can load a ton of plug-ins and still work... where I can load only half of that under 32bit and it starts to hurt.

PS: If Reaper has issues with some plug-ins you might have used to "shape your track" including UAD stuff or Duende, I hope you are willing to live with pops and clicks on your final track, cause Reaper isn't able to do a clean bounce this way.

Presonus Studio One looks really good and promising.
Plus Nuendo 5 is about to be released, so I've heard...

Cheers!
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Gear nut

Bottom line is you can just compare them yourself. Reaper can be downloaded and used indefinitely for free. You get the full working version of the software, with full save mode, no shutdown after a certain number of minutes, and all of the features. Once you are happy with it, you simply pay for the license. If it's for home use, it's $60, if it's for a full blown commercial studio, it's $250. If you don't like it, it costs you nothing. AS far as questions about Reaper, you'll probably get more responses over at the Reaper forums.
N88
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
N88
Gear maniac

I've used Sonar for a long time, and that familiarity keeps it around. But I find Reaper to be a more efficient piece of software. It seems leaner, and to function better.
Work flow is important, and whatever environment suits your mental feng shui is where you'll probably want to go.
2nd May 2010
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal View Post
Everybody arguing about the price, f-in a$$holes!
You want to spend thousands on gear and plug-ins, but skimp out on your main tool - the DAW!
Who cares what the daw costs ? It's not going to make any difference to the sound. Instruments, room, monitors...any number of things are more important to spend money on than the 'main tool'

Quote:
You don't choose a DAW based on the price. You choose it for the workflow/features/stability.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Audacity is free, yet I don't see it praised as the ultimate DAW. I guess FREE is too cheap.
If the Audacity workflow/features/stability does it for you then no reason not to use it

Quote:
PS: If Reaper has issues with some plug-ins you might have used to "shape your track" including UAD stuff or Duende, I hope you are willing to live with pops and clicks on your final track, cause Reaper isn't able to do a clean bounce this way.
No pops or clicks with uad and reaper here
2nd May 2010
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
No pops or clicks with uad and reaper here

No pops or clicks here either! If you have the appropriate reaper preferences set correctly you can use UAD plugins in reaper. I use scores of UAD-2 plugins even at the lowest latencies. I don't ever need to use this many at one time, but on a recent low latency stress test I loaded (72) UAD-2 plugins (stacked to the gills 3 deep across 24 tracks/buses) @ 128 samples. Playback and export, as always, was pristine & pop/crackle free. The UAD-2 plugins are averaging a paltry 0.13% native CPU usage per instance. I don't even think about native CPU/DSP usage or buffer latency anymore. I just load and go baby!

2nd May 2010
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
Reaper = stability and efficiency. Versus Sonar = no contest.

And the routing paradigm is genius.

Btw, I was a 6+ years user of Sonar.

Download and try out for yourself.

Regards,

DB
2nd May 2010
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunk View Post
Bottom line is you can just compare them yourself. Reaper can be downloaded and used indefinitely for free. You get the full working version of the software, with full save mode, no shutdown after a certain number of minutes, and all of the features. Once you are happy with it, you simply pay for the license. If it's for home use, it's $60, if it's for a full blown commercial studio, it's $250. If you don't like it, it costs you nothing. AS far as questions about Reaper, you'll probably get more responses over at the Reaper forums.
And you can also DL a demo version of Sonar, too, so there's really no reason to wonder...

That said, modern DAWs can get pretty complicated. I don't think anyone can even begin to scrape the surface of any of them in an afternoon or two. So it might really be worthwhile to try to do at least a couple projects in each.

In fact, I remember sometime within the last year or so, keeping a toe in the water of a Sonar thread and this one guy popped in and said something like, Oh, I used Sonar 4 Producer for a couple of years but I got frustrated because it it didn't have features X and Y and feature Z didn't have sub-feature A.

I read it and thought... wait a sec, didn't it?

So I opened up my old version of Sonar 4 and, sure enough, every item on the guy's list of things Sonar (4) supposedly didn't have and found each. The guy had apparently just never explored enough. Or something. Maybe he just forgot. I mean... this stuff gets complicated and detailed. The human brain starts kind of glossing over stuff after a while.

I'm a Sonar guy, but if I was shopping, Reaper would be one of the first places I'd look. And not just because I'm a huge cheapskate; but there is that.

BTW, I think it's great that Reaper uses the two-tiered commercial/non-commercial pricing model used by a number of developer oriented softwares. I think it shows a sensible flexibility. If a guy is just using Reaper to record his songs and isn't making money from recording -- like 99.99% of musicians today -- it's sensible to give him a break. But if you're using Reaper in a commercial studio and charging clients? You're a pro and pros should expect to pay full price for their tools, seems to me. After all, they can take it off their taxes.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search