Gigabyte GA G31M-ES2L DPC Latency spikes
New Reply
Subscribe
Jazz Thieves
1st April 2010
Old 1st April 2010
Gear nut

Gigabyte GA G31M-ES2L DPC Latency spikes

Does anyone else use this with a q6600??

I am getting intermittent spikes of up to 18000us. I went and bought another one and got the same.

I have disabled all network adapters etc, and did a fresh windows 7 64 bit install. Also d/l latest bios update.

Would like to hear if anyone has this setup working okay. Since doing a search I see that Gigabyte are known for their DPC issues.

Thanks
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

turn off any thermal throttling in the bios.Gigabyte make great DAW motherboards if you know how to set them up. I've been running gigabyte MOBO's for about 3 years now since changing from ASUS,never had a problem.

C1E,Speedstep are two of the main biggies to turn off.

MC
Jazz Thieves
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
turn off any thermal throttling in the bios.Gigabyte make great DAW motherboards if you know how to set them up. I've been running gigabyte MOBO's for about 3 years now since changing from ASUS,never had a problem.

MC
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Spikes have gone, great advice
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Gear nut

same problem

i had the same problem on the same board GA G31M-ES2L with a q8200 chip and windows 7 64bit.
i thought it was my presonus firestudio mobile or wireless lan card. but it wasn't either.
i did the bios disable c1e thing and disable thermal thing but still had some high dpc latencies. Then read on another post about power saving options changes that worked and i changed my power plan from balanced to high performance in the windows power options menu and that got rid of the high dpc latencies for me.
Thanks a bunch guys
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
turn off any thermal throttling in the bios.

I have simialr spike issues with my Gigabyte board. Can you advise how I should go about turning off the thermal throttling in the bios? This is a setting done prior to Windows start up right? I'm no clearer than that how to do this ...

And where the settings for C1E, Speedstep would be?

Thanks
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrabra View Post
I have simialr spike issues with my Gigabyte board. Can you advise how I should go about turning off the thermal throttling in the bios? This is a setting done prior to Windows start up right? I'm no clearer than that how to do this ...

And where the settings for C1E, Speedstep would be?

Thanks
It's done in the bios. Read your manual as it varies slightly from board to board.

These are normally found all on the same page in the bios and can all be turned off to help with the issue.

C1E/C3/C7
Speedstep
EIST
Virtualization (if you don't need it).

The maybe a few others in there. If any of them read like they save power or throttle the cpu then turn them off.

The may also be multicore support and hyperthreadng options in that page as depending upon theboard. You can (and should) leave them on.
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's worth mentioning some Gigabyte boards need(ed) a specific BIOS upgrade to resolve DPC spikes. I had to contact Gigabyte support to get a specific BIOS release for my P35-DS4 v1.1 that wasn't available on the website.
10th June 2010
Old 10th June 2010
Gear interested

Quote:

MC

man... I just stumbled upon this thread while burning my brains out on how to fix a latency spikes problem with my gigabyte-based DAW. THANKS MAN!!!!!!! It totally fixed my problem!!
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear interested

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it's Easter so why not.

I just want to say thank you to all the knowledgeable posters (norbury brook, Pete Kaine.)
I bought a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L to replace an ASUS board than burnt out on me.

I thought it was IRQ conflicts causing latency, but thanks to this thread I figured out it was all energy-saving garbage in the BIOS really doing the damage. Now there are no spikes and everything is running smoothly

I also managed to get my M-Audio 1010 onto it's own IRQ and things are running great.

Thanks again everyone.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search