Broken Windows XP Professional Disk
New Reply
Subscribe
RTR
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Broken Windows XP Professional Disk

Well, I have had this disk (Legally through school) for many a year, it snapped on me today, so, my question for you is...how can I get a copy of Windows XP Professional, I still have the plastic case it came in with my product key.. ...Thank you for any input
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Or should I just upgrade to windows 7, I am using m-audio 610 with PT MP 8.0.3
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Gear interested

There are copies of the Windows XP Pro CD all over the internet in ISO form. You legally own a copy, so there is no piracy issue. Microsoft offers this stuff to its partners and developers as a part of their subscription contracts.

Search for Windows XP ISO and up will come many links. Use ImgBurn to burn the image to CD once you download it.
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Gear addict

I'm sure you can find one cheap on ebay or craigslist. It might be an illegal copy, but in your case it would only serve as a backup of your legitimate copy.

Another option is to borrow a friends disc the next time you need one.

Maybe it is time to move to Win 7.

~Jay
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
I'm sure you can find one cheap on ebay or craigslist. It might be an illegal copy, but in your case it would only serve as a backup of your legitimate copy.

Another option is to borrow a friends disc the next time you need one.

Maybe it is time to move to Win 7.

~Jay
Thanks to both of you, I wasn't sure if I downloaded it from the WEB if I would be stealing/pirating it, so my product key is the main thing right, as long as I have that I can legally use anyones xp disk?

If I DO get windows 7 do you think it will run ok with PT MP
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Well, I have had this disk (Legally through school) for many a year, it snapped on me today, so, my question for you is...how can I get a copy of Windows XP Professional, I still have the plastic case it came in with my product key.. ...Thank you for any input
Yes agreed with the other posters, just download the ISO off the web. It's hardly illegal as you have a valid license key and that's what counts. Just be sure not to download something full of malware - that's the concern. I'd be tempted to ask around and copy someone else's original CD if you can. MS have a CD license key changer on their web site if you can find it - so just copy any professional edition CD and then run this.

Also I'd be tempted to use XP Lite to merge in service pack 3 if the CD you get hold of is lower than this.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Gear Head

It's doesn't matter wear you get the disc, as long as it's a clean copy (and you have your CoA and Serial # Sticker). MS Partners, Technet and/or MSDN subscribers have access to official ISO images from MS. These be used for those instances a client does not have their CD but has a valid serial.

Did you have SP2 on the system already, or did you have to get it from Windows Update?

I ask because keys for systems that don't have SP2 won't work with newer ISO's that have SP2... Technet and MSDN still have 2 separate downloads for the original XP and XP w/SP2 because of this.
ark
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
ark
Lives for gear

Microsoft will replace a broken install CD. Details are here.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
It's doesn't matter wear you get the disc, as long as it's a clean copy (and you have your CoA and Serial # Sticker). MS Partners, Technet and/or MSDN subscribers have access to official ISO images from MS. These be used for those instances a client does not have their CD but has a valid serial.

Did you have SP2 on the system already, or did you have to get it from Windows Update?

I ask because keys for systems that don't have SP2 won't work with newer ISO's that have SP2... Technet and MSDN still have 2 separate downloads for the original XP and XP w/SP2 because of this.
wrong...

it completely matters what disc you have vs. your product key.
oem is different from retail is different from msdn/technet is different from volume licensing is different from multilanguage is different from eu crippled is different from emerging world etc... the license keys are all keyed to work only within their specific distribution. sp1 or 2 or no sp etc... makes no difference as to the key. the only issue is inplace upgrades (repair installs) on existing xp installations with a higher service pack already installed (cannot downgrade when doing inplace upgrades can only stay at same level or move up). sp3 is the exception, it will allow any previous version of xp to be put on over it but will depending on which updates applied cause issues.

does your coa (certificate of authenticity) have a line above the actual product key that has xxxxx-oem-xxxxxxxxxxxx in it? if so hunt for a clean xp oem disc. if not and it has vl on it then the volume license disc. mul is multi-language version. eu is eu crippled version with missing ie. and the emerging world disc is non-transferable and licensed weird so you legally cannot use another downloaded disc with your key. msdn and technet discs are not legal for you to posses anyway unless you currently have an msdn or technet subscription registered in your name or you are a tester for the individual who does have one and the machines are actually admisitered by them in a pre-roll out test environment (technet), or are running software or drivers they are developing (msdn).

if you prefer to get the actual media with no virus worries then microsoft will replace media for a small fee. the department to call is fulfillment. your region will have a number to call for it and they will provide you with a replacement disc for a small fee. you will need your product key when you call so have it handy. also the web link provided above is for north america and if you aren't in the us or canada you can still call them and they can transfer you or give you the proper number for your region.

and yes i used to work for microsoft
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
and yes i used to work for microsoft
Point taken... If you recall the change in licensing forced Merisel, Ingram, D and H, etc to all add additional departments JUST to explain the differences in the license SKU's.
RTR
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Ok Ill try and explain it..I got MS Wxp and MS office in the mail from a on line school I attended like 5 years ago..The disk came in a black plastic sleeve with the windows sticker on it with my key,It's hard to describe the black sleeve, it had slots on it so you could hold it in a cd/dvd case. I know it don't have sp3, I have to install SP3 whenever I re-do my HD. I just finished downloading a copy of windows iso. It took me a while to find one that looked ok, without a bunch of junk in it. I hope my key works..I guess we will see. I wish I wasn't such a cheap ass, I would buy W7..I am saving for a electronic drum kit right now!! And I am not sure if it would work good with PT MP

PS. In case it matters, I only do FRESH installs, I always wipe the HD clean, even the partition, and just start over!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search