iPhone Audio Line-in dock adapter
New Reply
Subscribe
brooklynhero
12th February 2010
Old 12th February 2010
Gear nut

iPhone Audio Line-in dock adapter

with iPhone OS support of the 30pin audio Line In AND more and more recording, software instrument, and music productivity apps hitting the iphone - I'm really wondering where i can find a dock adapter that accesses the iphone's audio line in.

I'm NOT talking about getting a cable that repurposes the headphone/mic combo jack

i'm also not talking about a big piece of bulky gear that costs $200 like the Alesis product

I'm NOT talking about the stereo mic offerings by Blue, Griffin, Tunewear (which can only be bought in Japan anyway) or Macally.

I sent an email to SendStation

Greetings,

I noticed you have a dock adapter that allows for a 3.5mm jack to access the iPhone's audio line out capability (without using the headphone/mic combo jack on the top.

I was wondering if you have plans to offer a 3.5mm jack access to the audio Line-In on the iPhone.

Due to the many recording and pro-music applications available for the iPhone and Touch - I believe a serious tech gap exists for bring audio in - and in a way that DOES NOT also have a mic built in (which rules out Blue, Griffin, Tuneware, macally, and a number of other current options.)

Something simple and at a similar pricepoint for your Line Out dock adapter. in fact is it possble to repurpose a Line out adapter to a Line in adapter by simply opening one up and switching the pin out?

That being said, as a professional musican and recording engineer who is using his iphone more and more to do Pro work - having a cheap and simple iphone dock adapter that gives me an audio line IN, and audio Line OUT, AND a mini usb connection - would solve real problems for me.

not to mention the iphone app developers that would almost immediately make use of the added input to the iphone. Sonoma Wireworks' fourtrack comes immediately to mind.

i hope you have a product like this in the pipeline, and if so when can we expect it?

Thank you for your time,

Michael

how many people would use an iphone DAW if you had a realiable audio input.

last night I was consumed by the thought of using a convolution reverb plugin App on the iPhone and using it for live performance.

of course the latency produced might make the idea useless - BUT having a cheap and solid line IN/OUT and usb dock for the iPhone and Touch is becoming essential, IMHO.

Thoughts?

13th February 2010
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Because I sometimes develop audio material for iPhone apps, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a way to get a clean line into the iPhone (in order to monitor mixes live on the iPhone's playback system).
After much searching, and many emails similar to the one you sent, I gave up.

ASIDE/FYI: As a work around I studied the iPhone's freq. response with a measurement mic. The "speaker" reproduces from ~700hz to 7k, with some weird bumps in the high end. The earbud response is a bit wider.

Hopefully by the time someone develops a decent dock with a line in, I'll have better gigs and won't care about the iPhone anymore!
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to digidesigner
I just finished searching the web and I'm amazed that there is no product that has line in and line out for the IPhone!
19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

keep your eye on these guys. Ground Up Audio

they have some great stuff coming in the no so distant future as far as hardware and software. i am not associated with them other than they are honest and hard wording friends of mine.

The Kingstown Project
19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Gear Head

While I don't think it's set up as all-purpose level-wise, the IK Multimedia iRig, due out in July, is an electric guitar amp/FX simulation software/hardware system that clearly does get audio into the iPhone/iPad/whatever, with reportedly low real-time latency, at least at instrument level/impedance. It would seem reasonable to theorize that it could be pretty easily reconfigured for consumer line in level and impedance as well.

Might be a good thing to throw into their suggestion box...
19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to digidesigner
24th June 2010
Old 24th June 2010
Gear interested

We think we've come up with a great solution, GuitarJack.

-1/4" mono input and 1/8" stereo input (works great with battery powered mics)

-hi - z and lo - z

- 60 dB of input gain control

Many other features.... check out this forum post:

GuitarJack (Page 1) - Sonoma Wire Works - Support Forums

Maybe' it's what you're looking for!
24th June 2010
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

looks great, but $200? That much just to get a line into and iPod Touch?
24th June 2010
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

I'd be interested in helping a friend convert his iPod Touch into a tiny recorder for him to do some vocal practicing with. This thread so far has talked about the hardware, and so I'd be interested in knowing what hardware listed here works easily with apps on a normal iOS phone? And also what software is available that's able to play a looped section of something for someone to practice along time (and possibly record though this can be separate software with a longer section of audio just playing as an mp3/mp4 etc.)
25th June 2010
Old 25th June 2010
Gear interested

It does much more then provide the right connection. It provides selectable impedance (hi z and lo z), two inputs including a stereo 1/8th inch jack, allows for true input level control of 60 dB, 72 db if you add the 12 dB pad, and is made of premium components. All important features for the serious musician
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

This might be of interest to anyone looking to get a guitar signal into an iPhone/iPod. Only $40.

AmpliTube iRig

I'm still looking for a simple way to get a line into an iPod. This iRig thing looked like a good candidate, but I think there would be an impedance problem if I tried to feed a line level into the guitar jack.
I'm trying to find a way to live monitor input fed into the iPhone/iPod, so I can optimize mixes (game audio) destined for these platforms. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!
10th August 2010
Old 10th August 2010
Gear interested

Did nobody see Sunjan's post up there? Or am I missing something??
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Banned

18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
iRig MIX is now shipping and provides line level inputs/outputs as well as a DI input for guitar or bass.
My understanding of the iRig Mix specs is that the ( 2 stereo) line level inputs are ONLY into the mixer hardware ?,
the ONLY input into the IOS device is the (mono) DI instrument that uses the headphone/combo jack .
Is this correct ?

The original post was about using the 30pin connector for stereo LINE level into IOS, to AVOID headphone/mic jack mono instrument input.
So in truth the IRig Mix does NOT provide this, correct?
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Banned

Ahh yes, missed that. All iOS devices have MONO analog in. We are working on a solution for that though.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be interested if you figure out a way to allow the line in to be monitored live out of the iOS device speaker.

When I last looked into this, I read somewhere that the ins/outs/amp on iOS devices are set up in such a way that it's no technically possible to live monitor a line in on the external speaker.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Banned

Using an adapter like iRig will allow you to connect it to an external monitor, not as convenient but you can select a better sounding speaker for playback and monitoring.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks ObiK, not looking for convenience, looking for a way to live monitor sound design/mixes that are destined for an iOS platform. Such a simple thing, apparently not technically possible.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Banned

I'm sure it'll be possible sooner or later just like we are waiting for low latency audio and midi on Androids.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
Can the stereo input feed a skype call?
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear maniac

I may be confused, but some of the blogs about the forthcoming Audiobus app, which I had originally understood to be an interapp audio streaming router/mixer/recorder , refer to WIFI audio streaming between IOS devices!
If so , there may be no need of audio input devices , whether mic/headphone combo jack or dock connector!

http://audiobus.tumblr.com/post/2006...-hd-on-an-ipad
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search