URS Year End Sale 40% off - Which ones to get?
Jamesoid78
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear interested

URS Year End Sale 40% off - Which ones to get?

Hi,

I just got an email from URS about their year end sale of 40% all of their plug-ins and had a question about which plug-ins to get.

Unique Recording Software

Should I get a couple separate EQ's or the Strip Pro v2.0 and Saturation?

Has anyone been using the URS N4 series Neve 1081 EQ?
Unique Recording Software

How does the URS N4 compare to the 1972 EQ in the Strip Pro?

James
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Gear addict

Man, it wasn't a very wise move for them to wait until December was half over. I think more a handful of us have already stocked up on Waves plugins, which have been on sale all month. Sorry, URS...

The sad thing is, when I was demoing the Waves plugins I ultimately bought, I demoed some of them against Console Strip Pro, and the price was a HUGE part of the decision. $400 for Waves SSL, or $600 for URS CSP? Easy choice.
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

demo them and then decide
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, bad idea for them to wait so long. But, the Saturation plugin is a no-brainer.
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Get the Fulltec!
20th December 2009
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuman View Post
Man, it wasn't a very wise move for them to wait until December was half over. I think more a handful of us have already stocked up on Waves plugins, which have been on sale all month. Sorry, URS...

The sad thing is, when I was demoing the Waves plugins I ultimately bought, I demoed some of them against Console Strip Pro, and the price was a HUGE part of the decision. $400 for Waves SSL, or $600 for URS CSP? Easy choice.

You mean easy choice, as in CSP? I agree. CSP and saturation are 2 desert island plugs for me.
RiF
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Too late URS... Got my Waves SSL Bundle yesterday.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Saturation at ~ $100? Definitely grab that if you haven't got it.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Is the Saturation plug-in redundant to the saturation in the CSP 2?
RiF
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Is the Saturation plug-in redundant to the saturation in the CSP 2?
AFAIK, CSP does not model ANY saturation. It uses impulse responses to mimic the characteristics of different gear and IRs are not capable of modeling saturation.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Strip Pro V2 Amazing!
DTA
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
DTA
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track 7 View Post
Strip Pro V2 Amazing!
+1!
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

I am tempted by this, as I just bought a UAD-2 Quad, I'm split between the CSP 2.0 or the UA 4K plugs.

I'm a Libran and I have like 10 days to decide .... arrrgh!

TMY
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009

If only someone was selling the URS SSL eq second hand..

matt
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
AFAIK, CSP does not model ANY saturation. It uses impulse responses to mimic the characteristics of different gear and IRs are not capable of modeling saturation.
This is an excerpt from an URS email message I received about URS Strip Pro v2.0:

"All 30 Input Stages have been upgraded to add a more weighted effect with improved vintage odd and even harmonics."

I wonder if "vintage odd and even harmonics" sound different than non-vintage?

Anyway, I guess if these added harmonics are linear, they would be different from saturation, right?
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009

Quote:
This is an excerpt from an URS email message I received about URS Strip Pro v2.0:

"All 30 Input Stages have been upgraded to add a more weighted effect with improved vintage odd and even harmonics."

Anyway, I guess if these added harmonics are linear, they would be different from saturation, right?
My understanding is that CSP1 has no saturation, but CSP2 does

matt
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Get the Fulltec!
I can second that ! very useful warming vintage but surgical eq plug
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
My understanding is that CSP1 has no saturation, but CSP2 does

matt
Yes, I get that... well sort of, as harmonics do not necessarily equal saturation. Saturation is a non-linear effect, where harmonics can be applied linearly... probably at less computational expense.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

The N+A series EQ's are useful.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
The N+A series EQ's are useful.
I bought these when they just came out and they still are often used plugins during mixing
23rd December 2009
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

CSP is a great utility player, but I'd probably go with the Saturation plug. The sale price is good (40% off makes it 120 at most places), and it's such a cool plug. I like the N series EQ too, but I'd only ever tried it at someone elses studio, and while I used it more than any other EQ he had, it wasn't impressive enough to where I had to have it. The Saturation and CSP are best bang for buck - the CSP in a more utilitarian way and the Saturation in a really nice mojo type of way.
23rd December 2009
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear maniac

I have CSP, saturation and the A and N series EQ's.

I'd recommend the CSP first as it really is a workhorse and does a great job with pretty much anything.

then saturation next, this plug is really great and offers a ton of different kinds of saturation options. price right now is awesome too.

the EQ's are really nice, but I'd see how you get on with the CSP first.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

The input stage of the CSP 2 is less dramatic in terms of the harmonics than the Saturation plug and there is no soft-clipping happening in the CSP 2. The emphasis with the input stage of the CSP has always been more on EQ curve and the update adds a little of the even/odd harmonic distortion, but not to the degree of the Saturation plug. I'd say the advantage of the CSP in general is it's versatility as a channel strip.
Quote:

24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
The input stage of the CSP 2 is less dramatic in terms of the harmonics than the Saturation plug and there is no soft-clipping happening in the CSP 2. The emphasis with the input stage of the CSP has always been more on EQ curve and the update adds a little of the even/odd harmonic distortion, but not to the degree of the Saturation plug. I'd say the advantage of the CSP in general is it's versatility as a channel strip.
Thanks... that's what I was looking for.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks... that's what I was looking for.
Didn't mean that to sound as if the CSP is not worth it or anything - great plug. But the updated input stages are not giving you a sort of two for one value of having the attributes of the Saturation plug built in. Definitely try both. Also, if you dig the Sat plug, try the Soundtoys Decapitator public beta - it's pretty nuts.
RiF
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
I am tempted by this, as I just bought a UAD-2 Quad, I'm split between the CSP 2.0 or the UA 4K plugs.

I'm a Libran and I have like 10 days to decide .... arrrgh!

TMY
If I had a UAD2-Quad I would go for the Neve 88RS (fantastic strip!!), 1176LN, LA-2A, Neve 1073, Cambridge and Pultec and maybe the 4K strip and buss comp and would have all my compression and EQ needs covered. Add the Fatso for saturation applications and you'll have the best plugins money can buy at your arsenal. With the UAD, you get "the real stuff" and not just some approximated compression- and EQ-curves with static impulse responses applied (CSP).
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Head

No love for the 1970 Compressor / Limiter?

After demoing it i'm going for it. It's really good and now really cheap!
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
With the UAD, you get "the real stuff"
I wholeheartedly disagreed with that. In fact I yanked the UAD-1 from my puter and regained 500mb of system memory. Now that was a good trade off.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'd buy the N4, but I can't stop using the N12 - it's on every session at least 3 or 4 times. The saturation plugin also has some great 'pre' emulations worth checking over and beyond the 'tape' cloning. Their API EQ strips are great too... so too the 1980 and 1970 compressors... blah, blah. I could go on... all very useful, what I have tried.

I found the 1970 plugin best on strummed acoustic guitars and humbuckered guitars. You'd use it to record 'Hotel California', or 'Sweet Home Alabama'. Total '70s flavour... big, round, and smooth.

Comparing URS to UA or Waves is a waste of time IMO - results are not brand specific, you just gotta know your tools. Ability will get you best results, not a brand preference or the amount you spend.

It's just a shame all the URS plugs have such a 'Windows 95' look about them - they're much better than the GUI would have you believe.

For me - i'd recommend the N12 and 1980 straight up... regardless of any measure, these are two of my favourite plugins. Essentials for guitar-based music.
24th December 2009
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
Didn't mean that to sound as if the CSP is not worth it or anything - great plug. But the updated input stages are not giving you a sort of two for one value of having the attributes of the Saturation plug built in. Definitely try both. Also, if you dig the Sat plug, try the Soundtoys Decapitator public beta - it's pretty nuts.
No, I didn't take it that way. It just seems the CSP saturation is not a substitute for the Saturation plug-in. I'm interested in CSP, but imparting hidden EQ curves bothers me, and I'm trying not to get anymore EQ's that don't have a graph.

I have too many of the non-graph type with the Brilliance Pack, AirEQ, etc., and I'm getting ready to add five more with the PSP sQuad. I still may go for Saturation. I have a few hours to decide, and I do want to check out Decapitator... thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search