112dB Redline Preamp
Old 13th December 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Exclamation 112dB Redline Preamp



Hi guys,

Here is a NEW plugin from 112dB... Redline Preamp !

I'm currently beta-testing it, and believe me, it's gonna make lot of you happy. There is real "mojo" into it !

Coming january 8th, 2010. Stay tuned...

112dB
Old 13th December 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

how's the CPU on that one?
Old 13th December 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
how's the CPU on that one?
In Samplitude 10 with Windows XP SP2 on my Pentium 4 (single core) @ 3 GHz, I get from 5 to 10% per instance.

Compared to the 70 to 200% of the Tube Saturator, that's great !

This Redline Preamp sounds GORGEOUS and provides more tonal possibilities for colouring, adding "warmth", fattening things up.

Don't get me wrong, the Wave Arts' one is AWESOME when it works on my machine (I have to kill all the others process running at the same time <_<).

But this new one is more versatile, and the sound quality is there, so I made my choice...
Old 13th December 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 

I'm exited !


These guys make good stuff



G
Old 13th December 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

This looks cool, enjoyed their reverb.
Old 13th December 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 

The thing I look for in distortion plugins is anti-aliasing. The BBE Sweet for instance does not have anti-aliasing. But Soundtoys and some of the UAD plugins do. Without anti-aliasing you're much better off running distortion plugins at 96KHz. Of course anti-aliasing is usually done via upsampling and is thus CPU heavy. Analog gear is still superior as it can go non-linear without any aliasing whatsoever, even in cheap stuff.

I ended up buying the Redline reverb even though the initial things I tested it for it it didn't work. I decided I could use it in some situations after all. I look forward to trying this plugin out.
Old 9th January 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Its the 9th and no pre amp yet?
Old 9th January 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Well, it's still in beta-testing.

It's going to a little delayed but it's definitely coming along nicely !

I'm sure lot of you will like it.
Old 9th January 2010
  #9
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackback Drop View Post
Its the 9th and no pre amp yet?
That would be a correct observation.

Seriously though: we're running a couple of days late, I'm putting the finishing touches on the presets and manual as we speak. Almost there!

Also (as a sort of "last minute sanity check") I just spent a couple of hours comparing it to some "other" preamp emulations out there and I'm only starting to like it more and more--easy for me to say since I wrote it of course. But trust me when I say it'll be worth the wait!

-- dj!
Old 9th January 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Do you want some shiny clothes for a shiny sound ;-) ? Here we go !

Old 9th January 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
Do you want some shiny clothes for a shiny sound ;-) ? Here we go !

Ok, you're just showing off now K.

I'm glad I missed this one 'cos I'd have been biting my nails for a month.
Old 9th January 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

price?
Old 9th January 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! View Post
That would be a correct observation.

Seriously though: we're running a couple of days late, I'm putting the finishing touches on the presets and manual as we speak. Almost there!

Also (as a sort of "last minute sanity check") I just spent a couple of hours comparing it to some "other" preamp emulations out there and I'm only starting to like it more and more--easy for me to say since I wrote it of course. But trust me when I say it'll be worth the wait!

-- dj!
I climbed out of my sick bed in the freezing cold. I had to chop down a tree to make fresh fire wood to fuel my generator just to get some electricity so I could power up my PC so I could visit your web site; only to be told:

"we're running a couple of days late"
Old 9th January 2010
  #14
Hi- this looks great! Price, please, and would there be a discount for your previous loyal customers who have bought your reverb or headphone plug?

Also, will you be at NAMM next week?
Old 9th January 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackback Drop View Post
I climbed out of my sick bed in the freezing cold. I had to chop down a tree to make fresh fire wood to fuel my generator just to get some electricity so I could power up my PC so I could visit your web site; only to be told:

"we're running a couple of days late"
Good one ;-).
Old 9th January 2010
  #16
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackback Drop View Post
I climbed out of my sick bed in the freezing cold. I had to chop down a tree to make fresh fire wood to fuel my generator just to get some electricity so I could power up my PC so I could visit your web site; only to be told:

"we're running a couple of days late"
LOL!

I know you're just trying to make us feel guilty but OK, the next round of cough syrup's on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax
Hi- this looks great! Price, please, and would there be a discount for your previous loyal customers who have bought your reverb or headphone plug?

Also, will you be at NAMM next week?
Redline Preamp will go for $149 with our usual "less 33%" introductory pricing of $99 for the first two months. It'll join the Redline Bundle as well so that's another way of getting it for less, or if you already own one or more of our plugins just drop us an email and we can probably cut you a good deal.

No, unfortunately I won't be at NAMM this year. It would have been great to meet some of you in person but well... with some luck in 2011!

Take care,

-- dj!
Old 9th January 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

Hey DJ, u sure got a fly looking plug in there.. Let's hope it'll sound as good as it looks;-) What are the preamp's algos based on? No offence but 'Tube amp' seems a bit generic.. Also there are some class A/trasfomers models ala API neve? Tape? I was going to get the URS one, but I decided to wait until I hear yours;-)
Old 9th January 2010
  #18
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
What are the preamp's algos based on? No offence but 'Tube amp' seems a bit generic.. Also there are some class A/trasfomers models ala API neve? Tape? I was going to get the URS one, but I decided to wait until I hear yours;-)
Hehe... that's because Redline Preamp *is* very generic! In fact it doesn't try to emulate any specific piece of gear but instead models a number of sonic characteristics that are common to most analogue hardware (preamps, tubes, but also tape). By adjusting the various controls--or choosing a preset, if you're lazy --you can dial in a lot of different analogue-style flavors, some very tube preamp-like in character, other perhaps more reminiscent of tape or consoles.

And while it probably won't give you the *exact* (for example) Neve sound in an A/B comparison, it will do many differerent convincing analogue console imitations. You'll see--I mean: hear!

-- dj!
Old 10th January 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
fragletrollet's Avatar
Hey I asked for the saturation from your EQ, and you follow up! Great!

Looking forward to demo this one! Whats the latency on it? Could you compare it to URS Sat and Soundtoys DECAP?
Old 10th January 2010
  #20
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
Hey I asked for the saturation from your EQ, and you follow up! Great!

Looking forward to demo this one! Whats the latency on it? Could you compare it to URS Sat and Soundtoys DECAP?
You shd know by now that 112dB live to serve... just make your wishes known!

Redline Preamp has exactly zero latency and a much much lighter CPU footprint than the Equalizer. I could compare it to URS Saturation--I'm not that familiar with Decapitator TBH--but I'm not sure that would be very professional.

One thing I will say though is that our Preamp sound is more refined than Saturation, which IMVHO comes awfully close to a overdrive or distortion unit for all but the subtlest of settings--either that or your hardware preamps sound quite different from mine!--, and capable of more different tones simply because it offers a lot more controls. Both have their merits and it probably depends on taste and/or application which one suits you better.

But OK, the damn thing is almost ready for release and I'm really excited about it so I can't resist a little showing off. Quoth one of our beta testers: The sound is GORGEOUS: rich, deep, full. This preamp is gonna be my go-to plugin for doing my gains and adding warmth before equalizing and compressing the signal. The new Number 1 in my effects chain. To me, it's the clear winner in the "family" of colouring/warming/characterish/mojo-inside plugins.

There, I said it. But ultimately, you be the judge!

-- dj!
Old 10th January 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
fragletrollet's Avatar
Demo demo demo
Old 10th January 2010
  #22
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
Demo demo demo
Yeah what he said
Old 10th January 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Can you give us an idea of the cpu hit of this plug?


I also like the idea of being able to control the saturation/etc of the different frequency bands. thumbsup
Old 11th January 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Can you give us an idea of the cpu hit of this plug?
[..]
"Redline Preamp has exactly zero latency and a much much lighter CPU footprint than the Equalizer."

That sounds like it´s going to be very easy on the CPU!
Old 11th January 2010
  #25
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Can you give us an idea of the cpu hit of this plug?
Of course!



This is on my Core Quad/2.66GHz with an RME HDSP @ buffersize 256. And yes, I AM running 64 Preamp instances in that screenshot.

Errr... and I was sort of hoping for a thumbnail that you could click to enlarge. Oh well...

-- dj!
Old 11th January 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! View Post
Of course!

This is on my Core Quad/2.66GHz with an RME HDSP @ buffersize 256. And yes, I AM running 64 Preamp instances in that screenshot.

Errr... and I was sort of hoping for a thumbnail that you could click to enlarge. Oh well...

-- dj!
I wonder what the output sounded like...

But yes, that looks nice!! thumbsup
Old 11th January 2010
  #27
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I wonder what the output sounded like...
How about: very very VERY vintage?

-- dj!
Old 12th January 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

DJ, any update on the release date?

I think you're a great developer, I'm very excited to try this out. Cheers.
Old 12th January 2010
  #29
Gear nut
 
dj! (112dB)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
DJ, any update on the release date?
Everything's about ready save for some final sanity checks (installer, demo licenses, online store, etc etc), so unless something comes up at the last minute--knock on wood--we shd be able to release tomorrow.

Quote:
I think you're a great developer, I'm very excited to try this out. Cheers.
What can I say? I'm flattered!

-- dj!
Old 13th January 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! (112dB) View Post
Everything's about ready save for some final sanity checks (installer, demo licenses, online store, etc etc), so unless something comes up at the last minute--knock on wood--we shd be able to release tomorrow.
-- dj!
DJ, forget knocking; I been chopin down wood all week!!

Good luck with the product.

Stephen
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Killah_Trakz / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
2
Fishmac / Product Alerts older than 2 months
87
cooker / Mastering forum
5
K-Slash / Product Alerts older than 2 months
12
JustinAiken / International Music Software Trade Association Q & A
15

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.