Presonus Firestudio Mobile VS M-Audio Profire 610 VS Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Old 28th November 2009
Gear interested

Presonus Firestudio Mobile VS M-Audio Profire 610 VS Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP

Hi all, this is my first post here!

I'm Francesco, guitarist from italian Death Metal band SICKPIANO.

We're now preparing to record a four track demo, I'd like to record the direct input of my guitar into an audio interface, and then send the track to a reamping service.

I'm stuck in between these three.

PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO MOBILE
PreSonus

M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610
M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRO 24 DSP
Focusrite Audio Engineering | UK Site | Products | Saffire | Saffire PRO 24 DSP

Basing on your experience, which one do you think could be the perfect choice?

Note that most of all I need a good mic preamp/instrument input, because I'm going to use a DI box OR just use the interface's high impedance input.

So, what do you think?

Thank you.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear interested

Its kinda funny.. I'm in the same exact position as you. Any thoughts?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

The best thing you can do is to research the crap out of all these.. Use gearslutz search. There is an entire thread dedicated to each of these units.. read them. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhankey87 View Post
Hi all, this is my first post here!

I'm Francesco, guitarist from italian Death Metal band SICKPIANO.

We're now preparing to record a four track demo, I'd like to record the direct input of my guitar into an audio interface, and then send the track to a reamping service.

I'm stuck in between these three.

PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO MOBILE
PreSonus

M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610
M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRO 24 DSP
Focusrite Audio Engineering | UK Site | Products | Saffire | Saffire PRO 24 DSP

Basing on your experience, which one do you think could be the perfect choice?

Note that most of all I need a good mic preamp/instrument input, because I'm going to use a DI box OR just use the interface's high impedance input.

So, what do you think?

Thank you.

The Presonus has the best build quality and a hell of alot of inputs (6+2 Mic Pre/Instrument) for the price and size. I can not comment on the Saffire-other than it has very similar AD/DA conversion technology(Jet PLL and Dice)-though converters and Preamps are slightly different. The DSP on the Focusrite would add another hundred bucks over the standard Pro24-which is the same price as the Presonus FS Mobile. I would be surprised if you could hear much difference between these two units. The Focusrite does have ADAT in if you need that but I mainly record line-level hardware keyboards and sound modules/samplers, a bass and a single condensor mic. Both have MIDI and SPIDF.

Having used every DAW known to man-theres alot to like about the included Studio One Artist-a full version of their new software. It has good workflow, its easy on the eyes, and has alot of drag and drop functionality like Tracktion. The only DAW/recording software I use anymore is Reaper and Studio One-despite having learned how to use Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, DP, Sonar and others. Sonar would be my second choice on a PC-which Im assuming is what youll be using. Logic or Digital Performer are popular choices for the MAC-but even Garage Band is quite good if your just doing basic recording. Not saying any one of these DAWs are better than the others-each has a slightly different feel, look, workflow and features. I think its awesome that my two favorites (Reaper/Studio One) happen to cost very little or free/included with hardware for fully functional versions.

The M-Audios are nicely spec'd/equipped and can use Pro Tools but you'll have to drop an extra couple hundred for the software with a company that has the worst tech support of any audio company Im aware of in history! They actually offered me tech support in the first year bc the MBOX I had purchased was failing...at $1 a minute...it was faulty hardware...lesson learned. Though most people have good luck with the M-Audio units for their stability-I recently had a friend complain of a driver issue that causes his monitors to play at full volume intermittently. And I just cant get over the cheap plastic knobs.

TC Konnekt and Lexicon are some other nice alternatives but I have not tried either personally. The Lexicon is manufactred in the US and bc its USB, should work on any and all computers-but not necessarily bc drivers can be tricky with any interface/OS. Plus it comes with a Lexicon reverb. I think Im talking myself into buying one...maybe for the family's new IMAC. The TC Konnekt 6/24D have their virtues like good monitoring management and TC reverb. Either of these would be high on my list if recording vocals (and/or you need a higher quality reverb) were a priority but since I dont sing and mostly just record bass...

I purchased the Firestudio Mobile and have had to make just a few minor adjustments after contacting tech support and its working very well. Their tech support is very good overall-quick and responsive.

You may also want to seriously consider one of the Line 6 interfaces like the Toneport or Pod X3. I was given a Toneport KB37 recently by a family member and was surprised at how great it sounds...and the Gear Box software is outstanding for guitar/bass. The Presonus comes with similar stuff-Guitar Rig LE. I use the Presonus and the Line 6 side by side daily with no issues. If your using a laptop with mainly just guitar I would definitely go Line 6 bc of the USB and Gear BOX.

The high impedance instrument inputs on all of these are very good for the money. I picked up the Presonus bc of the build quality, software package, and bc I know alot of people that use and like the Pres on their Fire--- line of interfaces. And I really needed those 6 line level inputs on the back! I think theyre all really good choices and it mostly comes down to what features are most important to you. There has been no better time in history than now to do professional recordings with minimal resources.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceferraudi View Post
I recently had a friend complain of a driver issue that causes his monitors to play at full volume intermittently.
Are you sure it's a driver issue? The Profire for example comes with a software DSP mixer that allows you to choose whether you want each output to be controlled by the master volume knob or come out at full volume. Perhaps his unit has something similar and the settings are wrong?

I use a profire to run pro tools, and though I don't use the pre's that often they are not bad.
Old 21st December 2009
TRA
Lives for gear

-I can't comment on the Presonus.

-MAudio 610 sounds good, but has a driver issue that reports random latencies to your software. It's been a known issue that they can't find a fix for. Check out M-Audio forum. Unfortunately, even on a Mac I found their drivers to be just as bad as they were when I had an OmniStudio.

-Saffire Pro 24 DSP is solid. It sounds good. My only gripe is the headphone amps aren't independent and mirror 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 respectively. That means you are limited to the outboard you can use while monitoring through headphones.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear interested

I am also a guitarist for over 25 years

If you are trying to do something specialized like just guitar for a re-amping pro to use. I Would suggest NOT USING ANY OF THESE. They are all made to please a lot of people doing different things.

You just need to get one or two channels of Sweet warm tone, a card that perfectly reflects your guitars tone and body with great pres and conversion.

I would try to rent or buy an APOGEE DUET.
Or look around the RME web site. Again if you are just needing to laydown guitar see if you can rent a highend piece of gear.

You only need a simple BUT high end piece

good luck
Old 16th January 2010
Lives for gear

I'm also interested in both the Profire 610 and Saffire Pro 24 interfaces.

How does the audio quality compare on these interfaces?

Which has the lowest reliable latency?
Old 10th June 2010
Gear Head

Latency Schmatency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

Which has the lowest reliable latency?
Something to keep in mind regarding latency and firewire interfaces:
All three of these units have zero-latency DSP mixers built in! You can monitor any input with no latency using the software mixer.

Regarding playback latency (for overdubs):
If you are using Pro Tools LE, you will have playback latency, depending on what your buffer size setting is. For most other DAW software (including Cubase, Logic, Studio One, Nuendo, Sonar...) automatic delay compensation built into the software keeps everything in sync, regardless of where your buffer is set.

Conclusion: If you use built-in DSP mixers included with most firewire interfaces and have a DAW with automatic delay compensation, LATENCY AND BUFFER ISSUES ARE A THING OF THE PAST, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT USING A PHYSICAL CONSOLE FOR MONITORING! To take it one step further, there are several hardware/software combinations which allow you to have zero-latency monitoring straight using only your DAW, without opening a separate DSP mixer screen:
-Cubase with Steinberg or RME hardware (PC only with RME)
-Digital Performer with MOTU hardware
-Studio One with Presonus hardware
-There are probably others...

Old 3rd February 2011
Gear interested

simultaneous tracks PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO MOBILE

I was wondering if someone has information on "how many simultaneous tracks can i record with PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO MOBILE "..? Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I was wondering if someone has information on "how many simultaneous tracks can i record with PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO MOBILE "..? Thanks
I have the Firestudio Mobile and I can record 8 inputs unless I get some kind of SPDIF adapter than I guess it goes up to 10. It's a really nice unit for that price point and sounds as good as my Duet. I would get it. It's a no brainer.
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
I have the Firestudio Mobile and I can record 8 inputs unless I get some kind of SPDIF adapter than I guess it goes up to 10. It's a really nice unit for that price point and sounds as good as my Duet. I would get it. It's a no brainer.
Thanks for the info...The main thing that i was interested was about the nuber of tracks that i can record at once and about the quality i don't suspect at all. If someone else has an opinion please quote... Thanks again i think i'll go for it!
Old 17th April 2011
Gear interested

Hey, i'm looking into this too.

I want to run live E-Drums and Guitar Rig at the same time with ultra low latency.

I have a Tascam FireOne - which used to do the job - but it does NOT have 64-bit drivers and the 3.5Gb (usable) in 32-bit Windows7 doesn't seem to be enough to run SuperiorDrummer smoothly.
.... So i plan on installing Win7 64-bit.

If anybody owns any of these units... can they please post info about latency (Cubase)?

And does the PreSonus include the MIDI breakout box - or that needs to be purchased seperately?

Thanks!

Apparently USB sucks for latency. But plz suggest any PCI interfaces out there with both XLR and guitar inputs?

--------
Intel i7 930, 6Gb RAM.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear interested

MIDI breakout is included in FireStudio no extra cost.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search