Post a song that you used drum samples on!
TeraBrite
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear maniac

Post a song that you used drum samples on!

26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
Basically the kind of stuff that is supposed to sound acoustic. I'm not looking for any techno, R&B, rap, etc.

Lets all be honest here.

I'm curious how real you guys can make them sound.

The only song on here - TeraBrite (CHECK OUT OUR BLOG) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Uses the Roland TD-20s stereo out into the computer. I may have processed them a little too much with Ozone but I think its decent for a first try.

I just posted a couple of songs...for someone else to listen to....

these ones are Ocean Way Drums DL

Has anybody done an A/B test between cheap mixer preamp and high end one?

also you can check out my website for a song done with Superior 2

(the film clip of Forty years)

cheers

Wiz
TeraBrite
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear maniac

26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

"We love attention"

Shame that - it would be nice to be motivated by less vacuous reasons, but hey, whatever floats your boat
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
"We love attention"

Shame that - it would be nice to be motivated by less vacuous reasons, but hey, whatever floats your boat

Is this directed at me?

Wiz
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
Is this directed at me?

Wiz
Nope
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
Nope

no probs...back to our regularly scheduled programming....

cheers

Wiz
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

some time ago, I tried precisely to play with rythmics in a way I found interesting : I tried to use "acoustic" rythmics that may sound natural, and then build progressively the track in a way that progressively had it harder and harder to seem like a real recording.

it's called les tours du silence

http://www.binarymind.org/Audio/Bina...%20Silence.mp3

well, I would not pretend here that the rythmics don't sound processed eh ! If you're interested, the basic rythm is an "arythmic" one, which means one cannot split it into two identical components. The main pattern is 010110101101011011

cheers
26th November 2009
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Gear nut

Been fascinated by this stuff on my new album, and would be glad for feedback.

This is all Superior Drummer.

Thanks, guys.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 If You Look For My Heart.mp3 (4.68 MB, 222 views)
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

This will always be like the 'POD vs Boutique amp' type debates. There is no substitue for the real thing - BUT - you can get a pretty damned good approximation and if that means some cool music comes as a result, then rock right on thumbsup

Beyond that and assuming you have access to SD2.0, BFD, SSD etc, the absolute key to getting artificial drums to sound anything like convincing lies in the programming. Is it like a drummer would play..? Not just in terms of rhythm, but also in terms of dynamic / velocity. Things like complex hi-hats still running through tom fills etc are an obvious giveaway - as of course a 'machine gun' snare rolls. It's all too easy to forget that a drummer, no matter how bloody good, still only has two arms and two legs
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I only use samples.

This is a Myspace page of some solo stuff that has EZ Drummer samples.

This is a Myspace page of my band that has sampled sounds from our drummer's kit on it. There's only one song on it (until next Tuesday), but you get the idea.
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Gear maniac

Justin Tyler Music

First track is all Steven Slate Drums
Second track I augmented kick & snare with SSD
Third track is all SSD
Fourth track is all ns_kit7
Fifth track I augmented kick & snare with SSD
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Guru

I'd say the drum tracks on most of these tunes above sound reasonably-to-pretty good from my perspective. There are some with a few quasi-obvious tells -- but at this point, I really don't think the audience cares much as long as the overall song sounds good to them.

It might almost be more interesting (or perhaps amusing) to put up a bunch of real drum tracks that sound as grid-bound and dynamics-free as a bad drum machine track... I've certainly heard more than my share of those over the years.

27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Gear maniac

You'd be surprised at how many songs you've heard from your favorite artists that have drum samples mixed in to add some extra punch.

As for examples, listen to the whole left audio demo column at the Steven Slate Drums webpage... there are dozens of songs there from various customers that are 100% sampled drums.

link:
Welcome to Steven Slate Drums
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Long View Post
You'd be surprised at how many songs you've heard from your favorite artists that have drum samples mixed in to add some extra punch.

As for examples, listen to the whole left audio demo column at the Steven Slate Drums webpage... there are dozens of songs there from various customers that are 100% sampled drums.

link:
Welcome to Steven Slate Drums
Oh... I wouldn't be.

I've been using DMs and other forms of virtualized drums in my own music since 1981 -- and wanted some kind of a drum machine for years before that -- probably from the first time I heard some used in rock/pop songs in the late 60s and early 70s. Shuggie Otis using one on his breakout album really helped make it seem cool. But, really, I was hooked the first time I saw one attached to a coctail organist's Hammond in the very early 60s. My old man was looking at Allen transistor organs for a couple of dreamy years around then and at one point we got a cool demo of one with a DM built in... of course, it didn't sound any more like drums than the 'flute' stops sounded like flutes, but it sounded utterly cool to me.

I was a big fan of the mid-late 70s outsider bands that used various drum machines and beat boxes, some of the Eno stuff, Wall of Voodoo, the original Ultravox [one of those bands you don't even like to mention because a later incarnation was so... well, you know, not a fan], the Screamers (although they mixed drums with DMs), others.

Still, I've always had a love-hate relationship with DMs and virtual drums... maybe because, while I've often been involved with electronica, dub, downtempo and such, I've also been pretty immersed in roots music... A lot of times I need a DM or virtual drums that sounded as much like the real thing as possible. And that's always a bit of a stuggle. (I haven't actually owned a dedicated drum machine in some years -- though I do still cherish though seldom use my Alesis DM5 module... it's got some killer trash sounds on it. Less good at realism but many of the samples, though insufficiently layered by today's standards, are really nicely recorded.)
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

This was done with Superior 2.0 when I first got it. It's a bit excessive on the drums, but I made it to see if I could fool some people into thinking it was a really good drummer I was working with. Lot's of tempo, feel and dynamic changes... check it out.
Attached Files
27th November 2009
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Here's another one I did with a friend of mine on vox. I played all of the real instruments and programmed the drum tracks with Superior 2.0.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Too Late.mp3 (5.01 MB, 148 views)
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

TeraBrite
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Gear maniac

Wow this thread actually picked up speed!

You guys got some awesome mixes here. The reason I put this post up is because I feel like spending time recording your own drums is a waste of time. You can get so much more umph out of a good set of samples.

This is what I have gotten out of what you guys put up.

Steven slate drums- best overall sound for commercial type radio drums.

Superior Drummer 2- Closest to the real thing

agreed?
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
Wow this thread actually picked up speed!

You guys got some awesome mixes here. The reason I put this post up is because I feel like spending time recording your own drums is a waste of time. You can get so much more umph out of a good set of samples.

This is what I have gotten out of what you guys put up.

Steven slate drums- best overall sound for commercial type radio drums.

Superior Drummer 2- Closest to the real thing

agreed?
Not really, Slate is easy out of the box but can't be unprocessed, while I find that Superior can get that sound plus much more because of the natural state of the samples. Just my 2 cents.
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

This is a recent song I co-produced, tracked and have done a preliminary mix on, we're going to remix it when we're finished tracking the whole album.

When I record a song we make the best effort we can to get the toms tuned right so they work musically with the song and then tune the snare so its ring is relevant to the key of the song, like the root or the 5th etc.

Then once we get them sounding good I will record samples of the whole kit and then proceed with getting the best drum takes we can, comping or punching in if necessary and with the occasional beat detective-ing but we did not use beat detective on this song.

When it comes time to mix, I get a good drum mix happening on the console and then make a kick sample, snare sample, tom samples etc. and using sound replacer will replace the toms totally so there is none of the original tom track in the mix, and then duplicate the kick and snare tracks and use sound replacer to make a track which is 100% sample, and then bring them up on their own fader so in the final mix there is a blend of real and fake kick and snare.

It's very important that the samples are consistently phase aligned or different hits will sound significantly different. The worst thing is when the snare tuning begins to droop towards the end of the song but the sample doesn't of course so sometimes you can end up with some phasing issues like that, but generally I'm able to catch that during tracking and punch in along the way after a quick retune so the snare track is consistently the same pitch throughout the song.

The song is called "Better Mistake" and is in their myspace player (not the "buy tracks directly" player) and is the second song right after their song "Myspace sucks" or whatever they are calling it these days...

Awaking the Fallen â„¢(NEW SONG UP) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

The snare has kind of a Mega-y fakeness to it so I'm looking forward to all the comments that say how fake and terrible it sounds but the fans seem to dig it, I like it and all in all, as much as it is a sample (it's probably 90% sample at mix although the real track is in there too, with an SPL TD on it) it is a sample of the actual drummer playing the actual drum at the actual time we did the tracking so it's kind of cool that it's not just some sample from a library. It's a Morgan Rose snare.

http://www.musik-service.de/images/p...763940/i00.jpg

Have fun!
John
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I feel like spending time recording your own drums is a waste of time.
I cherrypicked that out because, while I feel that DMs and virutalized drums can be an enormous help, particularly for would-be one man band types (like myself), there's still nothing like the real thing, a good kit played by a good, sensitive drummer. That said, while you can do a lot with overdubs, there's nothing like the real thing there, too, playing in real time with real musical compatriots in tune with your vision.

But, you know, way too much of the time, you gotta do what you gotta do.

And, as I've said before, having engineered more than my share of less than stellar drummers [as well as many really good ones -- and that's what makes the others stand out so vividly], I would rather personally work with a decent drum machine/samples than a crummy drummer. Most any day.
28th November 2009
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ya know...recording drums is probably not really a waste of time. But for a guy like me, working from the bedroom and all that, recording drums is just impossible. I actually know a reasonable amount of drummers, but the logistics are just too much to handle.

So I stick to Addictive Drums for now...
29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

The latest Whitney Houston album is all samples. A lot of MuteMath's first album was samples. They're even starting to use exclusively samples live now -- I've heard Julio Iglesias and Seal are both going to tour triggering samples.
29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just want to say thanks to everyone for posting -a good idea for a thread and some nice drum sounds here!
TeraBrite
29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
Just want to say thanks to everyone for posting -a good idea for a thread and some nice drum sounds here!
Why thank you, and yes thanks to everyone from me as well. I would just like to explain more of why I posted this thread in the first place.

I have been searching for the best drum sounds for my needs to replace my stupid TD-20 module that I have been using for all of these years. Have been playing with BFD2 for the past couple days on my buddies computer. It hasn't really been doing much for me but then again I haven't sunk my teeth into it too much yet. I Own Superior Drummer 2.0 and it is definitely awesome but even after extensive mixing it doesn't exactly seem stand out in the mix in the way I am digging for.

Anyway, I wanted to see more of what others can do with this software and see if I am maybe just not mixing the ones I have right or if I just don't have the samples that I need.

Current conclusion: I need to buy Steven Slate Drums.

I also completely agree that you can get an equally commercial sound with Superior Drums. But to me no matter how much you process them, the samples they have to offer just aren't what I am looking for.

IMHO Justin Tylers drums have the most punch and presence, although to the trained ear it is obviously over-processed samples, it just sounds flipping good. That's why we use samples right? Right!

Keep showing off guys, maybe someone can change my mind/someone elses mind that is in the same position.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search