Old 12th November 2009
Gear addict

RAM memory

Hi,

I have a little problem with my imac (2.0 ghz, 1 gb ram bought in 2007).
When i start a new song and put the first compressor (plugin) on a track there is no problem...

When i have more tracks and more compressors (plugins) installed on the tracks...the computer is really slow (up to 15 seconds to process). Sometimes it even gives an error.

No i am thinking of buying new ram memory...is that a good sollution?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2009
Gear interested

What software are you using?
Old 12th November 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Hi,

I have a little problem with my imac (2.0 ghz, 1 gb ram bought in 2007).
When i start a new song and put the first compressor (plugin) on a track there is no problem...

When i have more tracks and more compressors (plugins) installed on the tracks...the computer is really slow (up to 15 seconds to process). Sometimes it even gives an error.

No i am thinking of buying new ram memory...is that a good sollution?

Thanks
doubt it is ram . Check performance monitor to see memory usage to be sure you could be maxing out.
have 4 gig of ram. I never use more than 1.5gig no matter how many plugins I use. Plugins use CPU cycles unless there is a leak in the software of course. Then mem could be getting eaten up. I would take a closer look at the resources
before dropping money in one place. Is suppose 2 gi of ram is only like $50 bucks or whatever
but going to a more powerful cpu may be more beneficial. Even a faster spindle/hard disk can increase performance
more than adding ram in most if not all cases.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear addict

The software i use is logic,
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Whats your CPU meter looking like?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear addict

the cpu meter is pointing into the half of the meter...so i dont think there is a problem...Right?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would try not to do much, if any FX processing until all the tracking is done (if you can avoid it)

Try and use more FX send busses instead of a comp on each track. This way you'll only have one instance of the comp running and can use it on multiple tracks... if you can spread the workload around like that as much as possible, you should get more performance out of your Mac before it slows to a crawl.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search