Need to know ASAP:Mac Pro 2.8ghz Octo is dead. Should I accept a 2.26Ghz Octo Nehalem
Ialsoeathummus
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

Need to know ASAP:Mac Pro 2.8ghz Octo is dead. Should I accept a 2.26Ghz Octo Nehalem

My Mac Pro Early 2008 2.8Ghz Octo-core just went dead and Apple is replacing it.

Initially they were talking about replacing it with a new 2.93Ghz Nehalem (not sure if they meant octo-core or four-core).

Now they're offering me a new 2.26Ghz Octo-core. Though I know price-wise it may be a fair replacement, I'm concerned only with performance. I can not afford to take a 5% loss in plug-in counts when I was maxing out my 2.8Ghz machine.

Will the performance of the 2.26Ghz Octo be equal or better in ALL areas as compared to my 2.8Ghz Octo-core Early 2008?

Is it necessary for me to ask for a new Nehalem 2.66Ghz or 2.93Ghz Octo-core in order to have an equivalent machine?
Ialsoeathummus
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

And by the way, because Apple is so accommodating, I don't want to just ask for a faster machine because I can. I would like to be as fair as possible make suggestions with this in mind.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear nut

don't downgrade the speed of the CPU. stick to 2.8 and above.
Ialsoeathummus
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rey View Post
don't downgrade the speed of the CPU. stick to 2.8 and above.
What's the reasoning? I'll need to know how to explain this to Apple as their data shows speed increases in some areas.

I have been checking out the Multicore Benchmarktest Thread and the results are not encouraging for either 2.26Nehalem or 2.66Nehalem.

Aren't the newer machines supposed to be faster?
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

the power should be right about the same if not a little better performance... the 08 macpro vs nehalem macpro... the nehalem's are stronger.. dont worry about what the speed rating of 2.8 vs 2.26... see if they'll give you a 2.66
(i personally know the 2.66 is still stronger than the previous 3.2, i know b/c i replaced a 3.2 with the new 2.66)

you can ask apple and they'll tell you the newer system may have a lower CLOCK SPEED but its faster

the new 2.93 could tear apart the old 2.8 with ease

**********(edit- i was just talking to a friend thats an apple tech b/c i needed some software from him and asked him. he said the 2.26 only has a 10% gain over the 2.8 and with some apps the 2.8 can actually out perform the 2.26.
he said the 2.66 is 25-30% stronger than the 2.8 and the 2.9 is 35-38% stronger than the 2.8 from last year....
he the the 2.66 has a 20-25% advantage over the 3.2 depending on the scaling of the application.
personally with nuendo 4 i had sessions that were at 50-60% on a 3.2 but on the 2.66 the same session is at 38-40% nothing over... so thats 10-20% real life application advantage)***********
Ialsoeathummus
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
the power should be right about the same if not a little better performance... the 08 macpro vs nehalem macpro... the nehalem's are stronger.. dont worry about what the speed rating of 2.8 vs 2.26... see if they'll give you a 2.66
(i personally know the 2.66 is still stronger than the previous 3.2, i know b/c i replaced a 3.2 with the new 2.66)

you can ask apple and they'll tell you the newer system may have a lower CLOCK SPEED but its faster

the new 2.93 could tear apart the old 2.8 with ease

**********(edit- i was just talking to a friend thats an apple tech b/c i needed some software from him and asked him. he said the 2.26 only has a 10% gain over the 2.8 and with some apps the 2.8 can actually out perform the 2.26.
he said the 2.66 is 25-30% stronger than the 2.8 and the 2.9 is 35-38% stronger than the 2.8 from last year....
he the the 2.66 has a 20-25% advantage over the 3.2 depending on the scaling of the application.
personally with nuendo 4 i had sessions that were at 50-60% on a 3.2 but on the 2.66 the same session is at 38-40% nothing over... so thats 10-20% real life application advantage)***********
Very interesting. Same amount of RAM? Same version of Logic?

Are you using your processing mostly for effects, samples or software instruments? The reason I ask is because from what I've read, the Nehalem computers are more efficient with some processing tasks and less efficient with others - namely software effects.

The Logic Pro Multicore Benchmark Test is interesting, but seems to point towards the 2.8Ghz Early 2008 being more powerful.

I could ask for a refurbished 2.8Ghz Early 2008 if I had to.
Ialsoeathummus
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
(edit- i was just talking to a friend thats an apple tech b/c i needed some software from him and asked him.
thanks so much for taking the time to do that!
6th November 2009
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

no problem, it was something i wanted to know anyways.. to bad its not a HUGE power difference considering the price difference
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search