Samplitude rocks!
Old 19th October 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
matyas's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Samplitude rocks!

Sitting down to edit some tracks in Samplitude last night, I found myself wondering again why this program hasn't found the level of recognition it deserves (at least in the US, for duties other than mastering or classical music production.) I've used most of the other DAWs (starting with Sound Designer II, early versions of PT, and Studio Vision), and I've got PTLE and Logic 8 on my Mac, and have used PTHD, and the studio I work in uses Nuendo. But Sam still seems to blow them all away. I don't like Windows, but I keep a (non-Internet connected) PC around just to run Sam. I do prefer Logic for composing and midi work, but I have a feeling I could do that in Sam too if I needed to.
The plugins sound great, the object-oriented editing paradigm is really pretty intuitive, the mixer functions pretty much like a console, the program is super-stable and doesn't seem to use as much system resources as other apps. I let others debate whether different digital summing engines have different "sounds", but Sam does sound better than other apps to my ears.
So why is it that I still get funny looks when I tell people that I use Samplitude? Many people I've talked to have never even heard of it, let alone used it. Any other Sam/Sequoia users want to share the love?
For my part, I just installed version 11 and can't wait to try it out!
Old 19th October 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

Its simple to me. If you dont use PROTOOLS or LOGIC PRO then you cant possibly be serious. Its snobbery, nothing more.
Old 19th October 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
Part of the problem is most studios use a Mac and Samplitude and Sonar for that matter is just for the Pc market. Steinberg knows this which is why they have pushes for the next version of Wavelab to be for the Mac as well. Yes you can run bootcamp on a Mac, but part of the reason people want a Mac is to not be on a Windows platform.

Samp is the most comprehensive Daw since you can master and burn Cd's from the program . However Cubase is stronger with midi, Score, and things like Variaudio software. I would also say Cubase 5 plugs with Eq and effects is on par with Samp. Samp though has better compression plug INS .
Old 19th October 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
matyas's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Part of the problem is most studios use a Mac and Samplitude and Sonar for that matter is just for the Pc market. Steinberg knows this which is why they have pushes for the next version of Wavelab to be for the Mac as well. Yes you can run bootcamp on a Mac, but part of the reason people want a Mac is to not be on a Windows platform.
Well, sure. And as an ex-Apple employee, I have no love for Windows. However, I do work in a studio which settled on Nuendo on Windows a long time ago (Sam is on my home rig), so I know there are a few Windows studios out there. It's just odd to me that even among Windows-only apps, Sam doesn't seem to have a particularly high profile, at least in the US. (I think the situation may be a bit different in German-speaking countries.)
I've not used Cubase 5 - we have Nuendo 4, and it's not bad, although I can't comment on Steinberg's midi functionality since I've never used it. I will say that when I need to use scoring software, which is pretty often since I'm also a composer, I just use Sibelius.
Old 19th October 2009
  #5
Gear addict
 
Studiodawg's Avatar
 

It doesn't really matter to me if a bunch of amateurs use Samplitude. I use Samplitude to give myself a competitive edge in the classical market. It's snobbery, nothing less
Old 19th October 2009
  #6
Gear nut
 

The program is really amazing. At first I did not like version 11 but now love it. My only thing is the lack of information on the program. I was excited for the new manual but it turned out to be as confusing as the old one. The program is really DEEP and I am still confused about some new concepts introduced in version 11.

" Its simple to me. If you dont use PROTOOLS or LOGIC PRO then you cant possibly be serious. Its snobbery, nothing more."

I understand your point BUT realize that I felt the same way BEFORE trying Samplitude..
Old 19th October 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
It doesn't really matter to me if a bunch of amateurs use Samplitude. I use Samplitude to give myself a competitive edge in the classical market. It's snobbery, nothing less
We all know the classical world gets its support from the snobbery anyway. Always has and always will. Kings and Queens. Let me get my checkbook out so I can be a major contributor for this concert series. Yes, put my NAME on the program
LOL I must insist that I sit in the front row since Im a major benefactor HAHA

All kidding aside. How does it help you for your music? How is it better for YOU?
Old 19th October 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwaltb View Post
The program is really amazing. At first I did not like version 11 but now love it. My only thing is the lack of information on the program. I was excited for the new manual but it turned out to be as confusing as the old one. The program is really DEEP and I am still confused about some new concepts introduced in version 11.

" Its simple to me. If you dont use PROTOOLS or LOGIC PRO then you cant possibly be serious. Its snobbery, nothing more."

I understand your point BUT realize that I felt the same way BEFORE trying Samplitude..

My point well proven
Old 19th October 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Sinewave's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
Well, sure. And as an ex-Apple employee, I have no love for Windows. However, I do work in a studio which settled on Nuendo on Windows a long time ago (Sam is on my home rig), so I know there are a few Windows studios out there. It's just odd to me that even among Windows-only apps, Sam doesn't seem to have a particularly high profile, at least in the US. (I think the situation may be a bit different in German-speaking countries.)
I've not used Cubase 5 - we have Nuendo 4, and it's not bad, although I can't comment on Steinberg's midi functionality since I've never used it. I will say that when I need to use scoring software, which is pretty often since I'm also a composer, I just use Sibelius.
You ever notice how some of the best editors are on the PC ? Samp/Sequoia,Pyramix and Sadie etc.... sorry Sonar tutt.
I've always wondered why someone did not introduce and app with their qualities on the Mac, I mean the Mac is Missing a Samp or Pyramix, don't you guys agree who has used that Level of app ?. Sorry Bootcamp is not the same tutt
An app like that would really rock the Pro Tools world wouldn't it ?.
Old 20th October 2009
  #10
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
My point well proven
LOL... Let me add that it does many things better (not all ) , without the PT restrictions, for $1000 bucks..
Old 20th October 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
matyas's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
You ever notice how some of the best editors are on the PC ? Samp/Sequoia,Pyramix and Sadie etc.... sorry Sonar tutt.
I've always wondered why someone did not introduce and app with their qualities on the Mac, I mean the Mac is Missing a Samp or Pyramix, don't you guys agree who has used that Level of app ?. Sorry Bootcamp is not the same tutt
An app like that would really rock the Pro Tools world wouldn't it ?.
Yes, I have noticed this, and it irks me as well. I'm sitting here typing this email on a Macbook, while my self-built Windows box (which is getting a little long in the tooth - it's a 2 GHz Athlon64 with 1 GB RAM) has Samplitude 11 up. I've got Logic Studio 8 and PTLE 7.3 on the Mac, and I use them for some things (I do like Logic for composition, and PT is good just to have around), but it feels kind of wierd to do "normal" computer activities on a Mac and move over to Windows for Audio.
Anyway, all the apps you mentioned are big in classical recording and in mastering, and it is odd that in those worlds, the Mac has basically no market share, while ruling the pop tracking/mixing world. SoundBlade exists for Mac, but I'm not too impressed by what I've seen. Some people edit or master in Bias Peak, but it's no Samplitude. WaveLab is coming out for Mac, but it's only a 2-channel editor as well, and in any case, I don't like WaveLab.
So yeah, Windows has Samp/Sequoia, Sadie, Pyramix, and Sonoma (for you DSD-heads out there). Mac has SoundBlade. I do feel a little let down, but, in the meantime, Sam 11 it is.
Old 20th October 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Kyle Ashley's Avatar
 

Samplitude has always struggled with a weak distribution and marketing network, especially in the US. It's also absolutely ridiculous that Magix started tagging the Samplitude name onto their cheapo $59.00 music creator programs. It only adds confusion to the brand.

I was talking with an engineer a couple of months ago, and when he asked what DAW I was using, and I answered Samplitude, he immediately got dismissive and acted like I'm a total bozo for working with a software that you can buy at Wal-Mart.

Thanks Magix
Old 20th October 2009
  #13
Gear addict
 
beanface's Avatar
 

We're running both PT & logic purely because some people bring in projects in those formats, or are more familiar with those platforms. Whenever I'm mixing, tracking or mastering, Sequoia is the only program for me for numerous reasons. A close runner up is Cockos Reaper - that is one very stable, well designed & meticulously maintained platform.
Old 20th October 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanface View Post
We're running both PT & logic purely because some people bring in projects in those formats, or are more familiar with those platforms. Whenever I'm mixing, tracking or mastering, Sequoia is the only program for me for numerous reasons. A close runner up is Cockos Reaper - that is one very stable, well designed & meticulously maintained platform.
This is the same reason why I upgraded my Cubase SX3 to Cubase 5. I have clients who have done projects with Cubase ....and I have others who are more familar with Cubase too. Cubase 5 is a great program and I am finally satisifed with what Cubase offers with their latest version. None the less, Samplitude is also a very good program, though it lacks a sampler that Cubase and Logic offer. Tubeworld, I agree that midi, score and Variaudio are better in Cubase over Samp. However the object editing in Samp is great and something that is not offered in other DAW's. Not to mention the Ammunition plug in, enhancer and spectural cleaning it offers.

Reaper is a good program but it has such a small following, it changes often, and lacks support from a big company such as Apple or Yamaha which has helped Logic and Cubase be the programs that they are today.
Old 20th October 2009
  #15
Gear addict
 
strings's Avatar
I agree.
I use to be a Cubase user, but now have Cubase SX3 sitting on the sidelines.
I have Samp 10 Pro, and it's extremely stable and does everything I need. I will be upgrading to 11 eventually.
Old 20th October 2009
  #16
Gear addict
 
strings's Avatar
Quote:
Samplitude is also a very good program, though it lacks a sampler that Cubase and Logic offer.
I have to admit that I wasn't aware that Cubase 5 has a build in Sampler.
How is the quality/flexibility of it?
Old 20th October 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by strings View Post
I have to admit that I wasn't aware that Cubase 5 has a build in Sampler.
How is the quality/flexibility of it?
Halion one and Halion sym orchestra. True you have to pay extra after the trial period for the orch, but it still works inside Cubase. This is what Cubase 5 offers. Feature Comparison :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net
Old 20th October 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings View Post
I have to admit that I wasn't aware that Cubase 5 has a build in Sampler.
How is the quality/flexibility of it?
Cubase doesnt have a Sampler, sample player yes, sampler no
Old 20th October 2009
  #19
Gear addict
 
strings's Avatar
Quote:

Cubase doesnt have a Sampler, sample player yes, sampler no
Well that doesn't set it apart from Samplitude, so the previous post was somewhat misleading.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 20th October 2009
  #20
Gear addict
 
mykhal c's Avatar
 

does Samplitude have EA or Warp type features?
Old 20th October 2009
  #21
Gear addict
 
strings's Avatar
It has Elastic Audio, not sure about warp type features.
I mainly use the midi for drums (Jamstix and Superior), and for that it works great!

Here's another bonus with Samplitude. Kraznet has some excellent video turtorials from getting started to more experience things. It includes setting up and using some VSTi's.

Introduction > Tutorial videos > Community > Samplitude
Old 20th October 2009
  #22
Gear addict
 
Studiodawg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
All kidding aside. How does it help you for your music? How is it better for YOU?
I utilize Comparisonics and use Am-Munition a lot.
Old 20th October 2009
  #23
Gear addict
 
mykhal c's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings View Post
It has Elastic Audio, not sure about warp type features.
I mainly use the midi for drums (Jamstix and Superior), and for that it works great!

Here's another bonus with Samplitude. Kraznet has some excellent video turtorials from getting started to more experience things. It includes setting up and using some VSTi's.

Introduction > Tutorial videos > Community > Samplitude
thanks i'll check out the vids. yeah lookin' for a simliar EA fucntionality as PT, L9, LIVE, etc where the timing can be manipulated by movin' EA markers
Old 20th October 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

He said Gwee, not GUI I like that
Old 20th October 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
andsonic's Avatar
 

Samplitude 10.2 User

At our studio, we have Samplitude, Logic, DP, PT M-powered.

I cut my teeth on ProTools TDM. I honestly feel that Samplitude meets or exceeds PTHD in performance on our 8-core MacPro (bootcamp).

PTHD has only one thing that Sampie lacks. Monitoring inputs through plugins without latency.

The more projects I do stem-to-stern in Samp, the more I am in complete awe of this program.

It does stink that distribution/marketing in North America stinks. As a regular user of 4-5 different audio programs, I can honestly say that Samplitude screams.

Looking forward to v11
fanboi rant over
Old 20th October 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
I cut my teeth on ProTools TDM. I honestly feel that Samplitude meets or exceeds PTHD in performance on our 8-core MacPro (bootcamp).

PTHD has only one thing that Sampie lacks. Monitoring inputs through plugins without latency.[/I]
Same boat. I use HD daily for years but have been using samp since 5.1 and use logic also. Samp lacks another thing in comparison to HD- Simplicity!

Samp has alot of features but you have to go thru 3 & 4 steps to get things done that are done in HD in 1 or 2 steps. It's just layed out very badly and the more stuff they add the worst it gets. Just upgraded to 11 from 9. I skipped Samp 10 altogether after demoing it. It's just too much to go thru- reminds of old logic. I use it mostly for 2trk mixes and compiling CDs now.

Also Samp need a buss system. especially one where u can assign tracks to multiple busses. Also PC only and....
Old 20th October 2009
  #27
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Same boat. I use HD daily for years but have been using samp since 5.1 and use logic also. Samp lacks another thing in comparison to HD- Simplicity!

Samp has alot of features but you have to go thru 3 & 4 steps to get things done that are done in HD in 1 or 2 steps. It's just layed out very badly and the more stuff they add the worst it gets. Just upgraded to 11 from 9. I skipped Samp 10 altogether after demoing it. It's just too much to go thru- reminds of old logic. I use it mostly for 2trk mixes and compiling CDs now.

Also Samp need a buss system. especially one where u can assign tracks to multiple busses. Also PC only and....
I agree. Purchased a Samplitude license this year and spent about 6 months with it. While I recognize it's a potentially powerful program, there was just too much complexity buried in remote menu layers. Couldn't adapt my workflow.

Regards,

DB
Old 20th October 2009
  #28
Gear addict
 
Studiodawg's Avatar
 

I prefer Samplitude over other PC based programs for audio dicing, slicing & crossfades (probably because I've worked with the program for years). I find it to be the fastest and most intuitive for me for live concert recordings and have done some really intricate crossfades for dance recital music. I suppose it always boils down to "user preference" and that is probably based on "user familiarity" with the audio programs in question. Nonetheless, we all are trying to get stuff done in all the programs we're using!thumbsup
Old 20th October 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
andsonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Same boat. I use HD daily for years but have been using samp since 5.1 and use logic also. Samp lacks another thing in comparison to HD- Simplicity!

Samp has alot of features but you have to go thru 3 & 4 steps to get things done that are done in HD in 1 or 2 steps. It's just layed out very badly and the more stuff they add the worst it gets..
That's ironic. I would say that my experience is diametrically opposed. I find Samp to be very streamlined compared to PT or even Logic. Maybe it's because I know all the keycommands, etc.

One thing about Samplitude/Sequioa that isn't "simple", is object - based editing. That has always been the app's strength & weakness. No one else has it. It's an additional layer of control. Personally I think it's saved my butt a few times.

Interesting that you jumped from 9 to 11. Many users I know hated v9. I think that 10.2.1 was the best version after 8.3. I could have skipped 9 all together.
Old 20th October 2009
  #30
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
Samplitude has always struggled with a weak distribution and marketing network, especially in the US. It's also absolutely ridiculous that Magix started tagging the Samplitude name onto their cheapo $59.00 music creator programs. It only adds confusion to the brand.

I was talking with an engineer a couple of months ago, and when he asked what DAW I was using, and I answered Samplitude, he immediately got dismissive and acted like I'm a total bozo for working with a software that you can buy at Wal-Mart.

Thanks Magix
Their "cheopo $59 music creator" is exactly the same program than Samplitude, with less packaged contend and with some track/fx limitations.
I dont know if is good for their marketing. I believe it´s good for users.
Additionaly, i cant associate "weak distribution" with be available at "Walmart"...

Best Regards
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
soupking / So much gear, so little time!
1
gainreduction / High end
12
Arsene / The Good News Channel
11
Jason Poulin / High end
13

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.