Logic 9 Vs. Pro Tools 8
View Poll Results: What is your go to DAW?
I have both Pro Tools and Logic, but prefer Logic
120 Votes - 32.00%
I have both but perfer Pro Tools
106 Votes - 28.27%
I just have Pro Tools and I perfer Pro Tools
40 Votes - 10.67%
I just have Pro Tools but I wish I had Logic instead
3 Votes - 0.80%
I just have Logic and I perfer Logic
97 Votes - 25.87%
I just have Logic but I wish I had Pro Tools instead
9 Votes - 2.40%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Logic 9 Vs. Pro Tools 8

Ok I'm sorry to do this because i know how these could get heated but I am doing a small study involving a few Forums to find out the "Industry Trend."

We've all heard for years that Pro Tools is the industry standard however with Logic 8 and Logic 9 I have been hearing more and more people doing the switch over to Logic.

So I ask for a simple answer to the question no arguments please.

If you would like a back story would be great. (that should also help keep this thread on top)

Thanks in advance to all. and please be civil
NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Who ever is the administer here could we get this stickied a tleast until the poll closes?
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

We are going to see some much larger numbers for this poll to have any significance.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

I've had both for a while. PT 7.3 was the fastest slim and trim version of PT I ever
used on my system. I could fly all over with that version. Since then PT has been
sliding downhill in performance with each version and PT 8 is an absolute pig.

Along came Logic 8 and my world changed. I could do so much more and had
so much more included to work with out of the box. There were so many things
that led me to improving my work flow. The only thing was audio editing and now
currently with version 9.02 I can do all of the things I could in PT and then some.

Just last night I had to transfer midi and audio for a song I started in Pro Tools
a few years ago. I found the original session files and brought them into PT 8
and just could not get along with the sluggishness. I exported everything and
brought it all into Logic 9 and could instantly see and feel a difference.

The thing for me is I really truly LOVE Pro tools. I like the way it's setup
and I love all my RTAS only plugins. I love the new instruments too. It really
has come a long way on the midi side,just as Logic has on the audio. But Digi
really needs to recode it so it's more efficient. If they add ADC/PDC and throw
in TL Space so I can have better options for reverb I might even go back.
I'll always keep PT around for the odd Audiosuite processing I may need to
do, other than that Logic is the way for me now.

It took a little while,but Apple is starting to shine now with Logic 9. I know there
will be many who will extremely disagree with me who have serious issues but
I think Apple is really on top of it and we're going to see updates/fixes on a more
regular basis. If Digidesign can level the playing field by giving us an equal feature
set without having to pay extra out the wazoo and make PT more efficient I might
just go back.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Neither, I sold BOTH
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear nut

(In British Accent) Obviously Logic 9....Because it's 1 "better" than 8.

Which would you rather have, a guitar amp that goes to 10 or one that goes to 11.....
NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrman288 View Post
Which would you rather have, a guitar amp that goes to 10 or one that goes to 11.....
Well why not just make 10 louder?
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
I've had both for a while. PT 7.3 was the fastest slim and trim version of PT I ever
used on my system. I could fly all over with that version. Since then PT has been
sliding downhill in performance with each version and PT 8 is an absolute pig.

Along came Logic 8 and my world changed. I could do so much more and had
so much more included to work with out of the box. There were so many things
that led me to improving my work flow. The only thing was audio editing and now
currently with version 9.02 I can do all of the things I could in PT and then some.

Just last night I had to transfer midi and audio for a song I started in Pro Tools
a few years ago. I found the original session files and brought them into PT 8
and just could not get along with the sluggishness. I exported everything and
brought it all into Logic 9 and could instantly see and feel a difference.

The thing for me is I really truly LOVE Pro tools. I like the way it's setup
and I love all my RTAS only plugins. I love the new instruments too. It really
has come a long way on the midi side,just as Logic has on the audio. But Digi
really needs to recode it so it's more efficient. If they add ADC/PDC and throw
in TL Space so I can have better options for reverb I might even go back.
I'll always keep PT around for the odd Audiosuite processing I may need to
do, other than that Logic is the way for me now.

It took a little while,but Apple is starting to shine now with Logic 9. I know there
will be many who will extremely disagree with me who have serious issues but
I think Apple is really on top of it and we're going to see updates/fixes on a more
regular basis. If Digidesign can level the playing field by giving us an equal feature
set without having to pay extra out the wazoo and make PT more efficient I might
just go back.
When you are on deadlines, it's just miserable though in PT because of real time bounce. Awful. No freeze, no RTB, no bounce in place, ugh. Much better as a mixing platform, I love the interface, but for composers, Logic still kills it, and the new Studio One is only a few updates from being really competitive as well.

I think the thing I resent the most is crap like asking for hundreds of dollars to unlock PT LE to give you more tracks, that's nuts in 2009. Nuts.

TH
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Neither, I sold BOTH
+1

I am a Logic use from day 1 (creator Atari).

The MIDI implementation is Logic is, has always been and will probably stay Numero Uno. Fantastic, for writing music I adore Logic - I can touch type music in Logic - seriously!

For mixing and editing - Yuk.

I moved to Cubase 5 for mixing and editing - it's wonderful and to my ears sounds better (there said it)

Many of my friends are moving to Nuende or Cubase - the trend is not as polarised as it used to be.

The only way I would consider a change of DAW now would be if PT went fully native.

Best
TMY
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear interested

I can't really say that I like one over the other, I honestly use both equally. I do all my editing and sound design in Pro Tools and all my music creation in Logic and I wouldn't have it any other way.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
+1

I am a Logic use from day 1 (creator Atari).

The MIDI implementation is Logic is, has always been and will probably stay Numero Uno. Fantastic, for writing music I adore Logic - I can touch type music in Logic - seriously!

For mixing and editing - Yuk.

I moved to Cubase 5 for mixing and editing - it's wonderful and to my ears sounds better (there said it)

Many of my friends are moving to Nuende or Cubase - the trend is not as polarised as it used to be.

The only way I would consider a change of DAW now would be if PT went fully native.

Best
TMY
Cubase here as well. Glad those two are gone
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

How about an extra category:

"I choose my DAW based on my needs and likes, not because of popularity or what is trendy at the time."
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Just wanted to say the PT 8 with bidule (to manage VIs) is working great. I even seem to be able to use Trilogy, which was problematic before. If you have an intel MAC, I recommend it.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear maniac

What about: I have Logic, Pro Tools, and Cubase but I prefer Cubase.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
That was ME, thats why Logic and Protools are gone. No need for three DAWS.
Waste of time and effort IMO
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Digidesign as a company blows. They're just the worst bunch of money grubbing wallet raiders I've ever seen. Who knows what the software would be like if it wasn't chained to the interfaces and intentionally handicapped by the company- well, actually, we know what it would be like, it would be Pro Tools HD and it would cost $6k or more. You just don't stop spending with those clowns.
NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Cubase

Hey I know the power of Cubase and and to be honest i still envy some of the advantages of Cubase.

I am actually planning on Getting the update to 5 early next year, However right now for this study I'm just comparing PT and Logic.

To be completely honest i have always look at Cubase as a studio's second DAW no matter what they use.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPampani View Post
To be completely honest i have always look at Cubase as a studio's second DAW no matter what they use.
That is just about the oddest thing I ever heard anyone say on Gearslutz!

Just plain odd.

OK I get it, you're a Digi rep.

TMY
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey I know the power of Cubase and and to be honest i still envy some of the advantages of Cubase.

I am actually planning on Getting the update to 5 early next year, However right now for this study I'm just comparing PT and Logic.

Are most of you Cubase fans PC guys? Cause it has a rather sordid rep on the Mac. I had Nuendo a couple years back, it worked OK, but I hated not being able to move channels around in the mixer (without going to the arrange first) and midi was just weird. You could be in REPLACE mode and click record on a midi track, and it wouldn't erase what you had done UNTIL you started playing. Wacky.

But it was overall, pretty cool, though it still has no FLEX or EA, which is a drag. And customer support is supposed to be God awful.

I'm watching Studio 1, which is by Cubase programmers and clearly has the heritage, with improvements...

TH
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah - I looked for that on the poll - but couldn't find it.

+1

TMY
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear maniac

I own Logic and have used ProTools a fair bit.

Prefer Logic by a long way.
NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
That is just about the oddest thing I ever heard anyone say on Gearslutz!

Just plain odd.

OK I get it, you're a Digi rep.

TMY
NO I am not a digi rep.

Actually Im a logic user who Came from Cubase 4.

I just like how Logic Keeps everything in one window.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
NO I am not a digi rep.

Actually Im a logic user who Came from Cubase 4.

I just like how Logic Keeps everything in one window.
Right. But what has a one window GUI got to do with thinking of Cubase as a back-up DAW in a studio .... that's an odd way of thinking.

Personally I way prefered Emagic's Logic 5 as a GUI - before the program under went a "Macapplecontomy" but that's just personal taste isn't it.

Strangely enough when you launch Cubase 5 it looks uncannily like Logic used to - strange world really.

TMY
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear maniac

I just like how ProTools Keeps everything in one window since 8.03pre
NickPampani
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Right. But what has a one window GUI got to do with thinking of Cubase as a back-up DAW in a studio .... that's an odd way of thinking.

Personally I way prefered Emagic's Logic 5 as a GUI - before the program under went a "Macapplecontomy" but that's just personal taste isn't it.

Strangely enough when you launch Cubase 5 it looks uncannily like Logic used to - strange world really.

TMY
I gues what im saying is that i like cubase alot and would still see advantages over both logic and pro tools however i dont see myself Using Cubase exclusively. I like the idea of a companion DAW.

Plus many interfaces come with Cubase LE so if your finishing up a project that someone my have started on their own cheapy system it would transfer smoothly
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe not a terribly good idea, because then someone would soon ask "What about: I have Logic, Pro Tools, Reaper and Cubase but I prefer Reaper".

Try this poll instead:

What is your favorite DAW?

Quote:
So I ask for a simple answer to the question no arguments please.
You can always use this thread for Pro Tools/Logic discussions:
The ultimate Logic / native / Pro Tools poll :-)

:-)
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

I voted for I own Logic, and prefer Logic

Before I started using Logic, I used Cubase SX3. My friend had Logic, and I decided to check it out, and was instantly hooked. From a composition standpoint, Logic is excellent. The transition from Cubase to Logic was very easy for me. I'm a huge fan of sofware instruments, and Logic's library was very simple and convenient. In Cubase, I used VST instruments (which I later transferred over to Logic). I'm considering giving Cubase 5 a try, but I'm quite happy with Logic 9 right now.

I had an M-Audio interface a while ago, and tried Pro Tools 7 M-Powered. It was a little too confusing for me, so I didn't give it much of a chance. Plus, at the time, I was just discovering Logic, so I stopped trying to learn Pro Tools, and uninstalled it. Because the industry seems so heavily reliant on Pro Tools, I'd like to eventually learn the software, just to know it. It's disappointing that an HD rig costs as much as it does though..
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Are you an HD or LE user? It seems to make a difference. I’ve noticed that most of the complaints around here seem to come from LE users; HD users seem to be more content. I have both (PTHD & Logic) and use both, I like the soft synths that come with Logic and the ones that are available for PT are just killer instruments, but the third party soft synths that I use run more reliably and less buggy in Logic, so I still run Logic on my laptop and dump the synth outputs into PT via a MOTU Ultra Lite’s analog outs. I prefer (by far!) the work flow of PT, it’s much more natural and intuitive for me at least and the control surfaces that are available for PT really just kill anything that’s available for any of the other DAW’s, which in turn leads to a much more pleasant and natural work flow, at least for me anyway. I’m always hoping that Digi and the third party soft synth developers could work together and stabilize that glaring week spot so that I could drop Logic for good.

17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear
Well pro tools is hardware driven so you have to buy pro tools hardware which could range from an mbox at 400- 2,500 for and that's for le systems. now hd protools tdm theres really no cost cut off and it's like 10,000+ but if you want both or can't decide a protools sound card or interface will work with logic also and if you already have a mac you are in a good position. i have both and started with protools on a pc...hated it on a pc and bought a mac a few years ago and sarted messing around with logic about 2 years ago but as of recent it is my main daw/program. i hardly ever touch protools.

my thoughts about it are if you are recording live bands and that's basically the majority of what you want to do, mostly use live audio pro tools could be what you want. if you're not so familar with midi and don't need more than 2 tracks recording at a time get an mbox for 400 or cheaper off ebay and if you have a mac already you can use logic as well so it's a win win situation. if you want to record more than two tracks and really dive into it get a digi003 or if on a budget a later model of a digi002 and i say later because the first batch had a power harness issue.

if you are more into midi and recording a guitar, bass with midi drums, midi keyboards and all that go with logic 9. it's really great for composition for those type things and the 1st party plugins that come with it are awesome and the price and content out weigh that of protools and most protools rtas come with the au version and are cross platform compatible. i don't if it's just me but i find in logic especially with midi i have better sounding projects closer to hd protools then the protools le. also i find i don't spend as much time trying to make instruments sound good they already do most of them and it sets up busses for you! when logic 9 came out i think digi crapped their pants with the new features and tried to copy cat and came close but the bundled software doesn't sound anywhere near logics bundled plugins. if you went with logic i would say get a motu sound card and a mixer of your choice. if you went with protools and have a mac well just use both like me.

bottom line protools LE= can be annoying with errors and issues and you might find yourself fixing stuff more than making music but in the long run really great for recording bands but it's lkind of a bait switch to eventually try to sell your sould for a hd system.

logic9= really affordable software that come with a lot..almost everything you need right out the box and has a live set up if you need backing tracks. good for midi and composing. recording is decent for a few audio tracks with some mixed midi. and the new amp designer for guitar players like me is really sweet and sounds good. vox amps, marshall, orange amps all kinds of goodies along with the drum machine that sounds great compared to le bundled boom. however i do like protools 8 vaccum synth a whole lot!

so there are the fact depends on you and what you want to do and the budget. i say if you own a decent mac and money in the 600-2,000 range isn;t an issue go with a protools hardware interface and get logic9 with it and just have both! or get logic and a motu. it all just depends but i have to say logic 9 is great for the composer who does most the work and has friends come in and jam every now and then.

also have to ad the hd user above me is right hd users seem to be very happy and le users have more issues. however 3rd party plugins run way better on logic for some reason. if i could i would go hd. protools at first for the starting user seems like a lot but once you get use to it the work flow is smooth and the wave audio editing i find better than logic but with protools you just spend more money in the long run for more 3rd party plugins and it comes with a bare amount of virtual instruments. logic comes with so many plugins, libraries and everything and the kitchen sink and most starting users find it easier to pick up and learn. if you can go protools hd go for it! if not like i said before read what i wrote above and decide what's best for you. if you decide logic and want nothing to do with protools and made you mind up go with a motu sound card better bandg for your buck as far as quality sound and cash spent compared to le hardware and price cost.

10year protools le user
mac pro quad core
digi002
8gbram
protools 8 cs3
logic 9
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

"bottom line protools LE= can be annoying with errors and issues "

There it is, I dont have time to mess with it and WASTE TIME fixing crap that should just work.

I dont miss it AT ALL here bye bye DIGI

Get Logic 9 and have no limits. Its coded WAY better than Protools
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search