Yamaha N12 and the New IMAC
New Reply
Subscribe
NiceMike
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear interested

Thumbs up Yamaha N12 and the New IMAC

Hi everyone im new here.I just ordered a new i mac 4gb memory,640 hard drive etc.My problem is my yamaha n12 has a 6pin firewire socket and the new IMAC doesnt have it,i just wonder if anyone has uses the some things and how they got around that problem?I would also like to hear the negative of using this kind of set up.(cubase 5,Imac,n12)Thanks
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear addict

Is it an issue of FW 400 on the N12 vs. FW 800 on the iMac? I am fairly sure you can get a crossover cable, if that's the case.

I had an N8 hooked up to my iMac (previous gen. with 1 FW400 and 1 FW800) for one day, but it bricked itself during firmware update--I never even had a chance to test it out... Use extreme caution. I sent it back, and didn't feel like risking my luck with another one, so decided to go for a Presonus instead.

The N series are huge (physically), I will say that much!
NiceMike
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear interested

Thanks

Thats really helpful will be careful with it.....the other thing is the Imac i bought comes with snow leopard, i jus wonder if that will work with my n12? Has yamaha realised the drivers for snow leopard or it will jus work wit the old drivers?
Sorry if i sound silly.
NiceMike
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear interested

Help

Can the n12 work with snow leopard?
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear interested

My N12 does work with snow leopard/logic. Yes I was dubious about it when Mac snow leopard came up yamahasynth.com have not made a release update, but so far you can get by.Staying that i'm still regularly searching for updates. My rep suggests one will be coming shortly so keep your eyes open!
The biggest problem I can see so far is it establishing a connection on start-up, but I've figured out that if you have n12 on before powering up computer then it should connect 9/10 times. I work at Production Room in UK so if anyone has problems, please let me know!
21st October 2009
Old 21st October 2009
Gear interested

Yamaha is currently testing the firewire drivers for SL compatibility.

As far as connecting the mixer to your imac, a simple 6-9 pin firewire cable will do the trick.
NiceMike
23rd October 2009
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear interested

ok

Thanks for your help guys.i realy appriciate it.Will try to hook up the n12 with the new Imac and cubase 5 and see how it works.will keep updating you on that.
NiceMike
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear interested

Thumbs up N12 does work with snow leopard

Ive install everything cubase 5/imac/snow leopard and so far it works fine.I wish i had known earlier, i wouldn't have wasted time waitin for the "new drivers"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search