comping in Pro tools LE - help requested! Plus great pro tools hd comping tip!
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

comping in Pro tools LE - help requested! Plus great pro tools hd comping tip!

OK - so I'm working with someone who likes to do an awful lot of detailed comping. The studio I'm working out of has LE - I'm used to HD and have a great comping method which I learned from 'pro tools tips and tricks with kenny gioia" - highly reccomended by the way.

The way it works is:

Two tracks - one is your master comp tracks, below is the second track with the multiple takes as play-lists. You assign the same voice to these tracks. This way whenever something is playing on the master track it mutes the play-lists track. To me this is perfect and makes comping super easy.

I was hoping with pro tools 8 le there would be something similar with the new play-lists view/comping feature. However - it seems that only the solo'ed playlist will play - I was assuming that the promoted regions on the master playlist would mute the solod alternative playlists - but alas no as far as i can see.

So my question is - is there a way to achieve the behavior I like in HD with assigned voices on a le system. Hope this all makes sense - really appreciate any input from you pro tools peeps out there.
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

after trying a few things - it seems the closest i can get is to put a compressor on the playlist track keyed from the master take track - seems to work pretty well - but still looking for something better.

anyone else think there should be an option on the new comping editor to give the regions on the master tracks priority over the other playlists?

anyone even know what i am talking about with this??!!
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't actually seem better. With the PT 8 comping method - are you familiar with":

SHIFT+S = solo track

and

P = up, L = left, ' = right and ; = down

Once you have your playlists laying out with your master comp take, use those to move where your cursor is up and down.

Then, use SHIFT+S to solo whichever one your cursor is in and hit play

This allows you to do what you're talking about.

If you want to hear the rest of the track, solo-disable the music and dim it a bit.

But your master comp is always the one that plays unless you have solo'ed one of the playlists......so.

Keep in mind the comping is designed so your master track isn't a blank slate - you should listen to your playlists and choose which one is the best, make that your master comp and work from there.

That's how I roll.
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for replying - i know the shortcuts you mention and think i know what you mean.

The problem i have - or what i miss from the way i work in hd with assigned voices is - say i have a phrase i am happy with but I just want to hear a different word in the middle of the phrase from each of my millions of play-lists (this is not how I like to work but it is not my choice!) - I could just cut out the word I want from my master track and then my play-list track would automatically fill in the blank. If that makes sense?

It not only allows you to hear what is the best word or phrase as you are comping, but also automatically lets you hear how it fits with the word of phrase before it on your master track.

Is there a way to do this with the play-list editor view? It seems like no..
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

You are right, no way to do that since voices don't work that way in LE.

The looooooooooong way is to quickly drop mute automation on the master to MUTE and only UNMUTE automate that word on the other.

Very lengthy process, not worth much.

Looks like you'll need an LEworkflow and an HDworkflow!!

Or - how about this? since no solo on means the master will play, what if you hit play...with your cursor on the playlist where just that one word is.

Then as the master plays, hit SHIFT+S as if to "punch in" and "punch out" of the playlist track, so it would play the master......and then shift+S on the playlist would pop in the playlist word and SHIFT+S would pop it out?

Does that seems like it flows?

The crazy things you can do in PT.........
JPZ
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
OK - so I'm working with someone who likes to do an awful lot of detailed comping. The studio I'm working out of has LE - I'm used to HD and have a great comping method which I learned from 'pro tools tips and tricks with kenny gioia" - highly reccomended by the way.

The way it works is:

Two tracks - one is your master comp tracks, second is track with the multiple takes as play-lists. You assign voices to these tracks - 1 to the master, 2 to the play-list track. This way whenever something is playing on the master track it mutes the play-lists track. To me this is perfect and makes comping super easy.

I was hoping with pro tools 8 le there would be something similar with the new play-lists view/comping feature. However - it seems that only the solo'ed playlist will play - I was assuming that the promoted regions on the master playlist would mute the solod alternative playlists - but alas no as far as i can see.

So my question is - is there a way to achieve the behavior I like in HD with assigned voices on a le system. Hope this all makes sense - really appreciate any input from you pro tools peeps out there.
I don't know man this all seems kind of complicated, sorry. I know this is old school comping 101 and doesn't use PT's new features but I always, whether on HD or LE, just assign the destination track to a bus x input and the playlist track to that bus x output. I put the destination track in record and then use a single stroke key command to toggle auto input monitor on and off. This way I can copy paste to my heart's content and hear whatever I want, comp track or source, at my own choosing
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
I don't know man this all seems kind of complicated, sorry. I know this is old school comping 101 and doesn't use PT's new features but I always, whether on HD or LE, just assign the destination track to a bus x input and the playlist track to that bus x output. I put the destination track in record and then use a single stroke key command to toggle auto input monitor on and off. This way I can copy paste to my heart's content and hear whatever I want, comp track or source, at my own choosing
I'm not sure that this even makes sense.

Explain in detail what you're doing and why it actually accomplishes anything, please.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaForte View Post

Explain in detail what you're doing and why it actually accomplishes anything, please.
it makes total sense - but possibly only if you come from a tape background. He's printing the comp to disk (not copying regions) - so if you have your master take on a track, and the playlists track (ie all the takes) feeding this track, by switching between auto input and input only, you can hear the master comp and the alternate words.

It's not how I edit, but I can see why it would work, particularly if you've got a great master take but need to fix a few bits. when you've found an alternate word you like - you just print in, and then tidy up the joins.
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the input guys. i've tried the quicly soloing the playlist track to "punch in" on the part i want to audition but it dosn't seem responsive enough - weirldly the solos on playlist view seem less responsive than regualar solos - so no good there .

I understand the method I described with voice allocation might seem unnecessarily complex but trust me - it's super easy and for me the best way to comp by far. Also - this is not me complaining about stupid details for no reason - I'm just working with a very successful producer right now who likes to comp in a certain way - and I can't find an elegant way to do it. I want to impress them so I need to find a better way in LE! Thanks!
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear maniac

How about this:

When using Pro Tools 8 LE's new comping feature, make a selection around the specific word or phrase you're trying to replace. Set your pre- and post-roll times so that you can hear the phrase in context. In keyboard focus mode, use 'p' and ';' to move up and down through the takes. Instead of soloing the take, go ahead and copy the selection to the main playlist (Ctrl-Option-V). If you don't like it, simply undo or choose another take.

With dynamic transport and keyboard focus you could almost comp an entire vocal session without a mouse. Isn't this what everyone is doing now? I know it's not the same thing as the HD workflow, but I don't really see the disadvantage...
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

thanks nati - thats the way i've been doing it but it's no where near as quick or easy as how it can be done in HD. - I guess that's the best I can do though.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

very interesting thread, i'll certainly be giving kenny's voices tip a try.
Mr XY
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

well make sure you don't have to work on an le rig after you've got used to working that way...it's no fun!
JPZ
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
it makes total sense - but possibly only if you come from a tape background. He's printing the comp to disk (not copying regions) - so if you have your master take on a track, and the playlists track (ie all the takes) feeding this track, by switching between auto input and input only, you can hear the master comp and the alternate words.

It's not how I edit, but I can see why it would work, particularly if you've got a great master take but need to fix a few bits. when you've found an alternate word you like - you just print in, and then tidy up the joins.
No, I'm not printing anything, just copy/pasting and monitoring. By toggling input monitor on and off you can hear either your comped track (off) or your source (on) since the source track is actually being bussed to the destination track for monitoring purposes only. Very simple.
JPZ
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaForte View Post

Makes total sense, I've been doing it this way for 15 years
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Makes total sense, I've been doing it this way for 15 years

What I meant - PEOPLE - is that I didn't understand what you were describing.

Not that what you were doing didn't make sense....

GDAM!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search