Login / Register

Harrison Mixbus - Virtual Harrison Mixer plus full-featured DAW for OS X
New Reply
Subscribe
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Has anyone used mixbuss and ableton together? It's a combo of hoped may work but stability has kept me away - if it was super stable for arguments sake, the part I dislike most about live is editing and mixing, which in live is a blurred line.
How's importing and exporting stems?
How's effective the and useful is the automation?
How's it with external effects?

I'm still fully trying to grasp mixbuss but at 40 it has me thinking.......
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
GVerb+ is included as a demo on Mac and Windows versions of Mixbus, and is free on the Linux version.
Ok thanks. Would you recommend GVerb+ or are there other cheaper alternatives around?

I'm using Logic and have no reverbs that I could use if I would give Mixbus a try...
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire View Post
Ok thanks. Would you recommend GVerb+ or are there other cheaper alternatives around?

I'm using Logic and have no reverbs that I could use if I would give Mixbus a try...
As for GVerb+, i didn't test it propperlly to make a judgement, but ValhallaRoom is $50 and works on Mixbus.
My main problem with Mixbus is plugin integration. IK Multimedia plugins crash Mixbus (at least the ones i have). Same for Nebula Acqua VST plugins. Soundtoys plugins crash VST scan. Some others will not load because of the numbers of I/O channels inside plugins. I really hope they fix plugin integration for once before the paid upgrade to version 3!! All this is related to the Windows version by the way...
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

The Toneboosters track essentials bundle is good inexpensive way to supplement Mixbus with some useful plugs.

I don't find myself using much more processing than you get on the mock console. Valhalla Room works well with it.

If anyone's looking for an easy, straight forward and enjoyable mixing tool I can't give you any good reason to be afraid. It's running just fine on my iMac with Mountain Lion. I've used it with both imported files and Jacked from Studio One. Good times.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

mediocre gui, clunky controls, and glitchy. i want to like it, but just...cant.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
IK Multimedia plugins crash Mixbus (at least the ones i have). ... All this is related to the Windows version by the way...
Fortunately I didn't experience that on a mac. Just used the IK LA2A in a Mixbus project yesterday.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugelfunk View Post
Fortunately I didn't experience that on a mac. Just used the IK LA2A in a Mixbus project yesterday.
Are you able to reload it? IK plugins load but i can't reopen the projects.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
I find it hard to believe that the main reason I stopped using Mixbus version one was because it did'nt open certain projects... An absolute no go. Sorry to hear you're having the same problem.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

@musikmaschine, @kelvyn: Unlike most other DAWs, Mixbus uses a XML text session format. If a plugin saves its state in a way that wrecks the session file, you can trivially edit it to remove the bad plugin.

If you aren't handy with a text editor, we can do this for you. Mixbus comes with email support.

We have thousands of users now, and this kind of problem is very rare. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to answer the problems personally like we do.

Best,
Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Yes no problem whatsoever. I also inserted the full T-Racks Shell with a couple of units in it in the mixbus master channel.

btw for those who like to try out things before reading the manual (like me): keyboard shortcut 'L' just made my day.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
I find it hard to believe that the main reason I stopped using Mixbus version one was because it did'nt open certain projects... An absolute no go. Sorry to hear you're having the same problem.
I ran a repair on it and the projects loaded again. Have you tried? I've been contact via email with questions and Harrison have been really responsive and helpful, even on NYE. I think they've fixed a lot of issues since v1, hope so anyway!

It's a shame about the lack of a PC demo and problems people have been having, i'm not familiar with Ardour and this type of platform but there's no questioning the quality of the mixbus console. I'd see it as more of a part of the mixing process than a replacement for my DAW. I use maschine so this'll be like running my tracks through a desk without having to hire a studio so i think it's worth it.

But the worst thing would be to create a really nice mix and then be able toreload it. I've been able to load stuff from the recent menu if i can't load from the opening menu. Starting the audio driver first seems to help as well. The xml fix is good to know if stuff is unrecoverable.

Just tried loading Black 76 and as soon as i click on the gui mixbus crashes but it works in the T-Racks shell and i could reload the project. I think it's more stable than maybe it looks from the stuff others have posted, i got the impression it was really unstable and i've had a few issues with it but having a virtual analog desk itb is not to be sniffed at IMHO. YMMV.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

I jumped on the $40 deal for my WIN 7 64bit PC. I was getting it mainly as a better virtual console for my HD24 as a better solution than the CueMix software for my MOTU devices. I am VERY pleased with my purchase as it works GREAT for this application.

As I got playing with it, I learned that I could use it as a virtual summing mixer and I it sounds much tighter than my physical summing mixer. I am not know king my physical mixer, it is just a cleaner sound. Both methods give me the benefits of a summing mixer.

For my use of the Mixbus, I am able to send stems out of my DAW, like I would with my hardware-summing mixer, and route them into Mixbus via my MOTU I/O. My setup sounds a bit rigged but it works great; I feel I get the best of both worlds. As a summing mixer, I leave the faders at unity and do not add anything on the tracks. I do like that I can add plugins on the master bus before I send it back into my DAW to record the mix down.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

can anyone attest to the mixbus' superior summing?
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post
I would not know how you would weigh superior, but it is the best digital mixer I have ever heard... closest to that analog feel too.

For the money... it is the MOST superior.
Tui
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Tui
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are people who claim they can. To find out what the truth is, you'll have to read the entire thread (or at least the most recent posts).
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
There are people who claim they can. To find out what the truth is, you'll have to read the entire thread (or at least the most recent posts).
im going to do an A/B and post it here.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Some folks mixed with it and were generally pleased with results. Others did science experiments and theorized. All in all, not recommended reading if you value your time.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Here is my A/B. Attached are the two mixes

The song was tracked in Ableton Live. I removed any group processing and exported all the stems in 24 bit/44.1khz. I imported them to Harrison Mixbus and printed a mix from both DAWs. No effects in Mixbus were used.

They are level matched and did not null when polarity was inverted.

Which sounds better to you?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Ableton.wav (6.06 MB, 254 views) File Type: wav Harrison .wav (6.06 MB, 210 views)
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

First one. Seems tighter in low end and more definition and clarity in general.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Guru

I can't hear much difference. Certainly not enough.
Maybe it's my cloth ears.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You're not alone.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

The song was tracked in Ableton Live. I removed any group processing and exported all the stems in 24 bit/44.1khz. I imported them to Harrison Mixbus and printed a mix from both DAWs. No effects in Mixbus were used.

Did you mix the stems or the individual tracks? To do a fair comparison, I would think you would need to do a complete mix in both systems. From there, see which one sounds best and which one got you the mix the quickest. I might not mix a stem the same way in both DAWs.

I do appreciate the posted files though as it shows that there is a difference in the summing of both systems.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Well...anytime I found myself pleased with the results it was when I actually mixed in it, which tells me it has more to do with workflow and the setup of the mixer, comps, EQs and busses.

I could run tracks through it at unity all day and get a tension headache looking for the indefinable magic, but I enjoy the workflow so I focus on that. The more I learn it and use it the better the end result gets.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Did you mix the stems or the individual tracks? To do a fair comparison, I would think you would need to do a complete mix in both systems. From there, see which one sounds best and which one got you the mix the quickest. I might not mix a stem the same way in both DAWs.

I do appreciate the posted files though as it shows that there is a difference in the summing of both systems.
Yeah, it would have been nice for me to mix it in Mixbuss with identical settings, but I don't really have the time for that. At least we know there is a minor (insignificant?) difference in summing. SCIENCE!
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

1) The two mixes are out by 1 sample (Mixbus lags, which I may report as a bug after confirming tomorrow).
2) When aligned, they cancel down to ~-75dBfs, apart from the reverb at the beginning and end of the clip (shame on you ).

What you'll hear in the diff signal of the middle of the clip, is the master bus saturation of MixBus (and bus saturation, if you used any buses), unsurprisingly, as it cannot be turned off completely (a tiny bit cheeky of Harrison tbh).

What you should expect from Mixbus are the benefits that the mixer UI brings: immediate, efficient and effective control of track/bus EQ and compression. The bus saturation is very subtle if turned all the way down, and would sound the same if provided as a plug-in for other hosts ...

There's no 'special sauce' at play here apart from the UI - but that part is worth it Now go mix something ...

(the difference is not in the 'summing')
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tc- View Post
1) The two mixes are out by 1 sample (Mixbus lags, which I may report as a bug after confirming tomorrow).
2) When aligned, they cancel down to ~-75dBfs, apart from the reverb at the beginning and end of the clip (shame on you ).

What you'll hear in the diff signal of the middle of the clip, is the master bus saturation of MixBus (and bus saturation, if you used any buses), unsurprisingly, as it cannot be turned off completely (a tiny bit cheeky of Harrison tbh).

What you should expect from Mixbus are the benefits that the mixer UI brings: immediate, efficient and effective control of track/bus EQ and compression. The bus saturation is very subtle if turned all the way down, and would sound the same if provided as a plug-in for other hosts ...

There's no 'special sauce' at play here apart from the UI - but that part is worth it Now go mix something ...

(the difference is not in the 'summing')
well that clears things up. thanks for that!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Could someone please answer whether its possible to use a hardware controller for mixing within Mixbuss?

ie.Behringer BCR/BCF 2000 or Mackie Hui etc?

Thx!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

I wish that the tracks would have just been named A & B or 1 & 2, but anyway...

The one marker Harrison has a thicker, more solid low mid, and the high end sounds smoother, more rounded to me.....

They both sound fine tho, and both are good mixes!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Tui
Lives for gear

This has been discussed to death. People who argue against science shouldn't be using any type of technology, since all of it is based on science.

Mixbus completely nulls against any major DAW. However, when engaging the master bus, it always adds more and more distortion, the closer you get to 0dB.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
This has been discussed to death. People who argue against science shouldn't be using any type of technology, since all of it is based on science.

Mixbus completely nulls against any major DAW. However, when engaging the master bus, it always adds more and more distortion, the closer you get to 0dB.
Science? Who would of thought.

I haven't noticed anyone arguing against this, but if they do I think it would be negligent not to revoke the licenses of these barbaric primitives.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search