Login / Register
 
Harrison Mixbus - Virtual Harrison Mixer plus full-featured DAW for OS X
New Reply
Subscribe
#61
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #61
Gear maniac
 
spol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 294

spol is offline
Does it support MIDI?
#62
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Farshad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,344

Send a message via Yahoo to Farshad
Farshad is offline
I think it is going to compete with Propellerhead RECORD more than other DAWs. Record also claims to be modeled on SSL 9000 console
__________________
Apogee Rosetta 200, UA LA-610 MKII, Korg Kronos 61, Kurzweil K2661, DSI Evolver, Event TR-8 monitors
#63
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #63
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3,845

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
AMIEL is offline
All seems to be cool! but other DAWs already have basically all what we need, so the real thing is:
THE SOUND! if the sound of the Harrison Mixbus is really FAR SUPERIOR than any other DAW..then we are talking !!!
Right now to be asking about MIDI, Busses and other features does not make any sense! I do not care for another DAW if does not sound FAR BETTER than the rest!!
If does, then I want to see what features are missing and to be implemented!

So let's mix with the Harrison Mixbus and see!!
I hope sounds better that the rest..so then interesting times are coming!!thumbsup
__________________
------------------

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
#64
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #64
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,475

muziksculp is offline
Very Interesting Concept !

Some additional Youtube videos showing how it would be normally setup, workflow with other DAWs such as Logic Pro, Cubase, ...etc. , and possibly more about what makes it so unique as far as sound quality is concerned, i.e. the plug-ins, the internal summing, advantages, ...etc.

Thanks.
#65
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #65
Gear addict
 
matt82aust's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 408

matt82aust is offline
Why don't I want to mix in my current DAW ?

Or if i would going to another platform to mix, what does this offer over say a Metric Halo v.5 mixer?

I'm not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a heap of excitement from you guys and I am struggling to see why I would want to take the extra step to finish my mix in another software program?
__________________
Matt Perrott
Sound Designer
www.mattperrott.tv
#66
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 508

BenLoftis is offline
More questions and (I hope!) answers:

1) Does it have MIDI? No (well it has MIDI transport and control, but no "note" handling)

2) What do you mean by "the same processing"? Well, it's by the same designers, with the same experience, same sensibilities, same goals. Our new console DSP is implemented on "native" processors so we already had experience with that type of processor. But it is not identical to any existing console. It is specially designed for Mixbus. It's done correctly, but smaller. OK?

3) Do the DAW buses have latency compensation? No they do not. Keep in mind that for most users this is not an issue. It only matters when you are running the same signal through multiple buses in parallel. And this is what the Mix Buses are for. They are completely time-aligned. You can assign a track to all 4 mix busses, with different processing on each bus, and also to the main bus, and all the signal will arrive at the same time.

4) There is not a latency-compensated hardware insert at the moment. However this is very high on our priority list. It will likely be implemented using the existing JDelay plugin by Fons Adriaensen (remember that Ardour is an open-source project and has multiple developers outside of Harrison)

Best,

Ben Loftis
#67
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #67
Gear maniac
 
The Cube's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Setúbal, Portugal
Posts: 154

The Cube is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Why don't I want to mix in my current DAW ?

Or if i would going to another platform to mix, what does this offer over say a Metric Halo v.5 mixer?

I'm not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a heap of excitement from you guys and I am struggling to see why I would want to take the extra step to finish my mix in another software program?
Here here. My ULN-8's Mio Console Mixer kicks some major ass, including the "Character" pluggos that are just amazing sounding. And all without draining my MBP cpu!

I would like to ask someone to compare the sound of this Harrison mixbuss to the Mio's one if they can.

Anyway I think this is a very positive sign big boys like Harrison are giving towards a very bright and DSPless native Future
__________________
The Cube,

Multifaced Creative Ego
#68
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #68
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3,845

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
AMIEL is offline
There is a DEMO version for download?
#69
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 508

BenLoftis is offline
There is no demo right now, sorry.
#70
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #70
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Boston,MA Providence,RI
Posts: 16,730

TonyBelmont is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
3) Do the DAW buses have latency compensation? No they do not. Keep in mind that for most users this is not an issue. It only matters when you are running the same signal through multiple buses in parallel. And this is what the Mix Buses are for. They are completely time-aligned. You can assign a track to all 4 mix busses, with different processing on each bus, and also to the main bus, and all the signal will arrive at the same time.
There are a lot of people who need delay compensation on all of the busses.... The reason is we use the busses for parallel processing (parallel drum processing, etc), and this won't be of any use to some people until you add that.
__________________
--Tony Belmont
.
.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
#71
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 508

BenLoftis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
There are a lot of people who need delay compensation on all of the busses.... The reason is we use the busses for parallel processing (parallel drum processing, etc), and this won't be of any use to some people until you add that.
Yes we completely understand. Mixbus is not intended to replace what you're doing in that situation. I think you'll be surprised at what it CAN do, though. Especially at only $79.99 And hey, we can always sell you an analog Series12 console - no latency compensation needed anytime, ever!

-Ben
#72
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,543

Nowak is offline
Got this baby up and running.....a few slight hassles with JACK but all sorted now.

Initially - this baby sounds great.

Smoooove.
#73
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #73
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,775

fossaree is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
And hey, we can always sell you an analog Series12 console - no latency compensation needed anytime, ever!

-Ben
Ben , that was funny !
#74
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #74
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,775

fossaree is offline
Anyways ...

I don't know about you, but I'm ordering mine right now !!! My dream is a purchase of a Harrison console .


Ben , I've got questions :

-When Jack app will be available for Snow Leopard ?
-Does it support OMF files ?
-Could you better explain for the sake of clarity (everybody would be benefited!) its plug-in delay compensation and regarding BUS latencies (as stated by Tonny) how one could aproach it . (i.e. using a latency fixer plug ?)


Thanks !


I'll be reporting my first impressions later on ...
#75
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 508

BenLoftis is offline
1) I will find out about the JACK release for Snow Leopard and tell you guys later.

2) no support for AAF/OMF files, sorry. There is a third-party developer working on this.

3) The 4 Stereo Mix Buses are completely latency-compensated. You can assign any track to any or all of the 4 buses ( and/or master bus ), with arbitrary plugins on the tracks and the mixbus and the master, without worrying about it.

The DAW buses (we call them utility buses) are not latency compensated. But really guys, I think you're missing the point here. Mixbus costs $80 and gives you 4 fantastic-sounding stereo mix busses. We could have put in more, but then you'd be shuffling dialog boxes around and digging for your settings like you do with other workstations. Don't forget you've got "mix groups" to ride levels on multiple channels simultaneously.


-Ben
#76
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 590

mark714 is offline
It's amazing what you can get for 80 bucks. Cool concept, Harrison...
#77
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #77
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Jack for Snow Leopard is in development already and being worked on. Sorry I can't give you any more specific details than that as I am only testing it myself.

Seablade
#78
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #78
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
Will there be a PC version? When?

Thanks
Don't hold your breath for a Windows version. Sorry. Linux on the other hand may be a possibility I believe.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Harrison, but I am fairly confident in my answer based off my knowledge of Ardour. It could change if enough interest is shown and sales are strong enough I would imagine, but in the meantime based off my experience with Ardour it isn't likely.

Seablade
#79
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #79
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,775

fossaree is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
1) I will find out about the JACK release for Snow Leopard and tell you guys later.
Hmm... I've installed today snow leopard . But I'll try to install it anyway , won't hurt .
If it doesn't work , I'll have to wait updates . I just want to make sure I can buy it right now to get this initial discount . But may be I won't be able to install it today :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post

The DAW buses (we call them utility buses) are not latency compensated. But really guys, I think you're missing the point here. Mixbus costs $80 and gives you 4 fantastic-sounding stereo mix busses. We could have put in more, but then you'd be shuffling dialog boxes around and digging for your settings like you do with other workstations. Don't forget you've got "mix groups" to ride levels on multiple channels simultaneously.

-Ben

No complaining at all . For me it's fine ;-) .
#80
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #80
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Boston,MA Providence,RI
Posts: 16,730

TonyBelmont is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
The DAW buses (we call them utility buses) are not latency compensated. But really guys, I think you're missing the point here. Mixbus costs $80 and gives you 4 fantastic-sounding stereo mix busses. We could have put in more, but then you'd be shuffling dialog boxes around and digging for your settings like you do with other workstations. Don't forget you've got "mix groups" to ride levels on multiple channels simultaneously.
How much more would it have cost to add this essential function?

I would love to try this... But, I would have no use for this software with out this critical feature (and hardware I/O latency compensation). Hopefully you add it in the future, and at that point I will give it a try.
#81
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #81
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossaree View Post
Hmm... I've installed today snow leopard . But I'll try to install it anyway , won't hurt .
If it doesn't work , I'll have to wait updates . I just want to make sure I can buy it right now to get this initial discount . But may be I won't be able to install it today :-(
It CAN work, but it is less stable at the moment, and you will have other problems show up. Snow Leopard compatibility was tested and determined to not be compatible for this purpose currently, sorry. Thus why Harrison considers Snow Leopard unsupported right now to my knowledge. Development is ongoing however to support Snow Leopard in the hopefully near future I believe.

I would recommend waiting for a bit myself, but I can understand the desire to want to test it out.

Seablade
#82
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #82
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,775

fossaree is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seablade View Post
It CAN work, but it is less stable at the moment, and you will have other problems show up. Snow Leopard compatibility was tested and determined to not be compatible for this purpose currently, sorry. Thus why Harrison considers Snow Leopard unsupported right now to my knowledge. Development is ongoing however to support Snow Leopard in the hopefully near future I believe.

I would recommend waiting for a bit myself, but I can understand the desire to want to test it out.

Seablade
Thanks Seablade !

I'm just afraid they'll rise its price sooner , hence I'm anxious . Do you think i can buy the license just to get the discounted price , but don't install it all ? Like i 'd be buying it for " future use" ... and @ the time jack become snow supported , i'd install mixbus.

Just an idea... What do you think?
#83
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #83
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossaree View Post
Thanks Seablade !

I'm just afraid they'll rise its price sooner , hence I'm anxious . Do you think i can buy the license just to get the discounted price , but don't install it all ? Like i 'd be buying it for " future use" ... and @ the time jack become snow supported , i'd install mixbus.

Just an idea... What do you think?
Heh sadly I can't answer that one, or even venture a guess. Or rather I could guess, but it is much better that I not in case I am wrong.

Seablade
#84
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #84
Lives for gear
 
fossaree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,775

fossaree is offline
thanks anyway !

Let's see if Ben says something about
#85
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #85
Lives for gear
 
KBOY's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 1,058

KBOY is offline
Interesting. this is a basic show what can be done.

I wanna know what it sounds like. Did Harrison up the bar in terms of sound quality?

It don't fit any template of what I'm working on. But it excites me.

Very curious.

Crazy enough, I personally don't have even that amount left on ANY of my cards but I'm in mix phase of an album and I would love to hear real world opinions of sound.

Sorry. If its really really good. I'll submix in something else and bring it into this for final mixing.
__________________
Lee McCartney
#86
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #86
Lives for gear
 
yumdrum's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,065

yumdrum is offline
sound samples please
#87
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #87
Lives for gear
 
DSpec1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 632

DSpec1 is offline


I did a dumb thing. In excitement, I completely skipped the Snow Leopard compatibility issue.

I bought and downloaded Mix Bus. It installed fine and recognizes my Duet.

However, I imported one audio file, pressed 'play' and it doesn't play. The playhead just doesn't move. I can see the waveform and all, but nothing happens.

It also doesn't recognize my Glyph drive. It only wants to import files from my hard drive.

I was dumb and now I must wait for Snow Leopard compatibility.

Live and learn.
#88
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #88
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumdrum View Post
sound samples please
Heh sorry all my projects done with this were done while testing it and none are really music as I do primarily SFX design so they probably won't help yall at this point to much.

Seablade
#89
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #89
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 320

Seablade is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 View Post

However, I imported one audio file, pressed 'play' and it doesn't play. The playhead just doesn't move. I can see the waveform and all, but nothing happens.
Yep, this is exactly a Jack issue on Snow Leopard. As I mentioned before a SL compatible version is in development at the moment, but until it gets released and MB gets throughly tested, it is better not to do this.

Quote:
It also doesn't recognize my Glyph drive. It only wants to import files from my hard drive.
This however is probably a misunderstanding though. You need to navigate to /Volumes/NAMEOFDRIVE to see the contents of the drive, at this time external drives do not automatically pop up on the left hand side of the file dialog.

I can assure you that I have been able to import audio repeatedly from external drives. I added /Volumes to the Left hand side manually as a shortcut myself.

Quote:
I was dumb and now I must wait for Snow Leopard compatibility.

Live and learn.
Sorry about that

Seablade
#90
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

work2do is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
1) Mixbus costs $80 and gives you 4 fantastic-sounding stereo mix busses. We could have put in more, but then you'd be shuffling dialog boxes around and digging for your settings like you do with other workstations. Don't forget you've got "mix groups" to ride levels on multiple channels simultaneously.


-Ben
Looks like a forward thinking product. But... Most want the sound of the "console" w/ the flexibility of the modern DAW. ADC on all busses and channels and as many stereo mix busses (all ADC) as desired, and automation. Even if price is raised another $100 or even $200 or more.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
phillysoulman / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
41
16bitblows! / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
niklassweden / High end
10
DSMrehearsal / High end
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.