VST steinberg Compressor
Old 29th September 2009
Gear maniac

VST steinberg Compressor

Opinions on the vst Compressor? (in cubase 5)

I find it hard to use, am i fooling myself just because its a built in.
In a hotel room in LA on tour and didnt bring my iLok and my other plugs.

I guess ill just get used to it. Emil
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

it is pretty bland and hardly usefull IME... I use it as a sidechain compressor for ducking bass or anything that needs that effect.

Digitalfishphones... there is a free compressor and de-esser that work really nice. There are also other free compressor plugins that works better than the one in cubase.
Old 29th September 2009
Gear addict

in my opinion, its not very good.
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

I like the vintage compressor better in Cubase 5. It is still a clean compressor, but it works better on several sessions I have done.
Old 30th September 2009
Gear interested

Nice for all around level control but don't expect any character out of it.
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

Since you're able to go online from your lonely hotel room in LA , get some freeware compressors. If you're on Windows, try the Tin Brooke Tales ones or Audio Damage's Rough Rider. They're great.

r,
j,
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

Tin Brooke Tales / TLS ones are here

Also second the AD Rough Rider & DigitalFishPhones recommendations (grab all the DFP ones while you're there.)

You might also check the Classic Compressor from Kjaerhus Audio (under FREE PLUGINS on the download page.)

And you probably have it already if you read the forums here or any others, but here's the obligatory SSL LMC-1 link
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

I found the steinberg multiband compressor to very nice. It can give any bland material a polished sort of sound. Same with the new steiny reverbs. Imo they are the best of the steinberg included effects.
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

I can't find use for just about any of the stock plugs that come with Cubase. I love it as a DAW other than the plugs.
Old 30th September 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

The vintage compressor is better. As is the multiband (rarely used by me though). There's nothing inherently wrong with the regular Cubase compressor, it does it's job in signal attentuation etc, but it is just a very clean and characterless sound (sometimes is useful).

If you want some great compressors then you need to splash a bit.

There are some reasonable freeware, Bootsy's Density mkII and digitalfishphones, although older and no longer supported, blockfish etc. For not much cash, Jeroen Breebart's Red Phatt Pro (10 euros) or Stilwell Audio's Rocket and Major Tom etc for around 50 bucks (Reaper users on non commercial licenses can get them even cheaper).

If you want character plugins, then be prepared to pay for them. Get a UAD-2 card and choose from their vast range of 'analog sounding' modelled character compressors, or buy into Sonnox or Sonalksis bundles etc. Fabfilter's Pro-C is also a good choice for Cubase because it is VST3, allowing it to be easily used for sidechaining and it does sound very good too.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search