Closed
Subscribe
TeraBrite
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to TeraBrite
Wink USB 3.0 audio Interfaces

As most of you probably know, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 is well on its way in the near future and should be 10 times faster than USB 2.0, but at the same time will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0. I also hear things about Intel working together with Sony to make fiber optics standard in these cables.

Now for me, the question is... With this new SuperSpeed USB, will it bring along more awesome high end audio gear?

Anyone hear about plans regarding something along those lines?

Do you think interfaces will benefit at all from this new SuperSpeed?
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear interested

I think in a few years it will be usb 3.0 (or another hi-speed, hi-bandwidth interface), solid state disks, and so on.

in audio this will mean increased track-counts with higher sample rates, more complex dsp.
better sound.

times will be great!

and of course there will be system updates with non working software, bugs to be fixed, and so on.
not so much will change really
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
I also hear things about Intel working together with Sony to make fiber optics standard in these cables.
Not with Sony, with Apple. It's called Light Peak.
And this will probably end up replacing both USB and Firewire.

Check out this thread.
Light Peak replacing firewire.... From ARS Technica
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear

any news on this front? do any audio interfaces support usb 3?
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Not with Sony, with Apple. It's called Light Peak.
And this will probably end up replacing both USB and Firewire.

Check out this thread.
Light Peak replacing firewire.... From ARS Technica

Light Peak was not developed by Apple. As usual, they're taking credit for someone else's invention. That rumor was started by Apple fanboys and fanned by their ridiculous publications. Light Peak was patented by Intel and, as usual, you can bet it will be available commercially on PC's first.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Light Peak was not developed by Apple. As usual, they're taking credit for someone else's invention. That rumor was started by Apple fanboys and fanned by their ridiculous publications. Light Peak was patented by Intel and, as usual, you can bet it will be available commercially on PC's first.
Apple didn't take credit for that. They only stated that they will support the protocol. If it's like what they said about blu-ray stands to be seen. Apple is also known for introducing new technology to commercial computers. Examples are new Intel CPU's, USB, Firewire, wifi, mouse and trackpad.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Apple didn't take credit for that. They only stated that they will support the protocol
Yes they did. From the IDF article:

"Intel's recently unveiled 10-gigabit Light Peak connection standard was actually created at Apple's specific request, according to a major leak."

It's utter fanboy BS, Intel created Light Peak and THEN Apple showed interest in the product.

Quote:
Apple is also known for introducing new technology to commercial computers. Examples are new Intel CPU's, USB, Firewire, wifi, mouse and trackpad.
Again, BS. New Intel CPU's become available for the general PC market way before Apple decides to adopt them. USB was developed by Intel and first seen on PC's. FW and wifi also appeared on PC's first. I can give you the mouse, but they copied the idea from Xerox. The trackpad was a Kensington patent. Apple is an image company. Most people who buy Apple products just believe whatever they say. It's a cult.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apple is an image company. Most people who buy Apple products just believe whatever they say. It's a cult.
Mac vs. PC slugfest to start in 5,4,3,2,1.......

20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Higher bandwidth connections come out all the time, it's just the natural progression of things.

Hopefully this will drive Firewire devices into the dirt-cheap range.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Gear nut

Don't forget it will also unleash the potential power of SSD's as they have yet got to the limits of the SATA 3 (6GB/s) interface !

Lightpeak could also replace all the digital cables we use : ADAT, AES, MADI...

So YES ! On the computer side the future is really bright but don't forget that it would not help to make good songs or recordings...
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes they did. From the IDF article:

in the product.

Again, BS. New Intel CPU's become available for the general PC market way before Apple decides to adopt them. USB was developed by Intel and first seen on PC's. FW and wifi also appeared on PC's first. I can give you the mouse, but they copied the idea from Xerox. The trackpad was a Kensington patent. Apple is an image company. Most people who buy Apple products just believe whatever they say. It's a cult.
I don't know why the Apple hate, but you better check your sources. I stated commercial computers and not build yourself computers. IMac was the first computer using USB. Firewire was developed by Apple, so doubt they would let someone else release it first. I was not talking about patents. The mouse patent belongs to Xerox as well as windows style OS, but Apple were the first to implement it on a commercially sold computer.
You shouldn't let that hate you have towards them keep you from acknowledging some of the good work they do. You might not like them, but others do. It's the world we live in.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010

Quote:
I stated commercial computers and not build yourself computers.
Moot point. As soon as components become available to the general public, commercial computers are sold with them. Couldn't care less about big corporations, I hate them all.

Quote:
IMac was the first computer using USB.
Wrong. USB was available on the general market way before then. If I could assemble a PC with USB it means PC's with USB were sold BEFORE the iMac was available. Like I said, I couldn't care less if Apple beat HP or Dell to the punch.

Quote:
Firewire was developed by Apple
Wrong again. Apple came up with the fancy name, but IEEE 1394 is actually a Texas Instruments patent.

Oh, and BTW, USB 3.0 is *ALREADY* available for the PC. No doubt when Apple releases their macs with USB 3.0 you will claim they invented it. Just like they "invented" the pad...
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most people who buy Apple products just believe whatever they say. It's a cult.
To generalize is to be an idiot. To particularize is the alone distinction of merit. General knowledge are those knowledge that idiots possess - William Blake
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
No doubt when Apple releases their macs with USB 3.0 you will claim they invented it. Just like they "invented" the pad...
Actually Apple created some of the main technologies that USB 3.0 uses. Did they invent it? No. Would it have happened if it weren't for Apple? Probably not.
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSheets View Post
Actually Apple created some of the main technologies that USB 3.0 uses.
Such as? You may end up proving my point...
20th August 2010
Old 20th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Such as? You may end up proving my point...
That was my little joke, actually

Sorry, couldn't resist.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Wrong. USB was available on the general market way before then. If I could assemble a PC with USB it means PC's with USB were sold BEFORE the iMac was available. Like I said, I couldn't care less if Apple beat HP or Dell to the punch."
In 1998 Apple introduced the iMac, the first computer to be completely free of legacy ports. Do some research

Quote:
Wrong again. Apple came up with the fancy name, but IEEE 1394 is actually a Texas Instruments patent.
"FireWire is Apple's name for the IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus. It was initiated by Apple (in 1986) and developed by the IEEE P1394 Working Group, largely driven by contributions from Apple, although major contributions were also made by engineers from Texas Instruments, Sony, Digital Equipment Corporation, IBM, and INMOS/SGS Thomson (now STMicroelectronics).

Apple intended FireWire to be a serial replacement for the parallel SCSI bus while providing connectivity for digital audio and video equipment. Apple's development began in the late 1980s, later presented to the IEEE, and was completed in 1995."

Again, better do some research before stating "facts". You can read here that Texas Instruments jumped on board later. Their interest was only so they could manufacture the chip controller.

Quote:
Oh, and BTW, USB 3.0 is *ALREADY* available for the PC. No doubt when Apple releases their macs with USB 3.0 you will claim they invented it. Just like they "invented" the pad...
Good luck finding an audio interface that will work with that!!!
Also, I'm in the music business, not the computer making. But it's a free world.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Motown legend

USB-3 is going to be dirt cheap and fast enough for 99% of what people want to do especially in audio. I'd expect to see it take over almost everything connected to a computer but Ethernet.

The next generation of computers will need to have USB-3 and anything else would just be an added expense that probably won't buy much in real world performance. It's a real game changer that could make tower computers obsolete.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

>Not alone there are PC equipped with USB3 for about 6 months... Macbook with quad CPU still not available.

This is not supposed to be a Mac versus PC but saying that USB3 was invented by Apple and expecting that kind of information to be unchallenged it´s a little naive, IMO.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
As most of you probably know, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 is well on its way in the near future and should be 10 times faster than USB 2.0, but at the same time will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0. I also hear things about Intel working together with Sony to make fiber optics standard in these cables.

Now for me, the question is... With this new SuperSpeed USB, will it bring along more awesome high end audio gear?

Anyone hear about plans regarding something along those lines?

Do you think interfaces will benefit at all from this new SuperSpeed?
Perhaps in a few years we will start to see USB audio interfaces jump to USB 3.0. The speed at which technology evolves in modern times is so fast that any computer designed today will be outdated in 6 months.

I could picture M-Audio in a few years with updated audio interfaces!
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Motown legend

I've been hearing rumors of extraordinary USB-3 audio interfaces for several years. One person even told me USB-3 is why there have been so few USB-2 interfaces.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

No way. Audio makers are always slow to adopt new interface options.
Firewire for some reason just seems to work better for audio. I don't know if the the protocol is simpler and there is less bottleneck, but even though theoretical throughput is higher on USB2 than Firewire 400, the best makers that don't use PCIE opt for Firewire interfaces instead of USB2.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010

Quote:
In 1998 Apple introduced the iMac, the first computer to be completely free of legacy ports. Do some research
That doesn't mean what I said wasn't true. USB first appeared on PC's. You do some research, you seem to only know what you read in Apply fanboy magazines.

Quote:
"FireWire is Apple's name for the IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus.
Like I said, Apple came up with the fancy name. IEEE 1394 is a TI patent.

Quote:
Again, better do some research before stating "facts". You can read here that Texas Instruments jumped on board later. Their interest was only so they could manufacture the chip controller.
"Texas Instruments pioneered the introduction of 1394 in the consumer electronics market with the first 1394 silicon in a digital camcorder."

1394a and 1394b (Firewire)

Quote:
Good luck finding an audio interface that will work with that!!!
Also, I'm in the music business, not the computer making. But it's a free world.
Once again, a moot point and your huge contradiction. There were no firewire audio interfaces in 1995. And yet you claim that the imac was the first device to use FW (which, BTW, my quote above disproves.) So, pick and choose to make free (false) advertising for Cupertino as usual? Thought so.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

"It was initiated by Apple (in 1986)"

Others contributed later on and did major work on it.
I don't need to go look at Apple's fanboy pages, it's a plain fact.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-220209.html

We are talking computers here not camcorders.
I'm not against any company here. We need them to make products.
Apple as Sony and others have made some good products over the years. Many that you take for granted. They're only tools anyway. Either you like them or you don't.
I'm happy with what I got and have no personal vendetta against any company or anyone.
Just check facts before posting.
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I said, Apple came up with the fancy name. IEEE 1394 is a TI patent.
A bit of oversimplification there. "It was initiated by Apple (in 1986) and developed by the IEEE P1394 Working Group, largely driven by contributions from Apple, although major contributions were also made by engineers from Texas Instruments, Sony, Digital Equipment Corporation, IBM, and INMOS/SGS Thomson (now STMicroelectronics)."

The patent is handled by 1394 trade association as it appears.
22nd August 2010
Old 22nd August 2010
Gear Head

For historical perspective... One would need to look at the IBM MCA bus architecture debacle and how the Gang of NINE beat the crap out of IBM with the EISA bus. Then you need to look at the 1394 players and why they were brought onboard, it was done as a "beachhead" move to gain traction into the business computing market... The big hitters like DEC and IBM held a HUGE marketshare in the desktop, server and big iron market. So getting them to the table was a step towards widespread adoption.

You can see a lot of the same players from the GoN were involved in the creation of the USB standard, which was happening in parallel with the 1394 development. A lot of speculation over WHICH standard would win happened in those days, I don't recall anyone believing that they would both survive... but they did.

Apple decision to not incorporate integrate USB into the PowerMac platform was a cost based decision. Since USB would be made available by third party vendors, it made little sense to drive up development and manufacturing costs by engineering those systems to include USB as an integral component. You also have to factor in the fact that a move away from ADB and the Mini-DIN WOULD NOT have made their user base happy, since nearly every one of them had a substantiual investment in legacy products using the older serial port design.

As for which came first, USB Macs or USB PC's, they were both available at nearly the same time. It just happens that the PC manufacturers adopted USB as an integrated device sooner.

And Firewire support was available in MacOS 8.0, released in 1997... which means that Apple PowerMacs before the iMac supported it but didn not include, likely for the same reasons as the decision to not include USB
22nd August 2010
Old 22nd August 2010
Motown legend

USB-1 was a very loose specification that didn't even call for bit accuracy. It was all about being really cheap and not much else.

As CPUs got more powerful, USB 2 tightened up the specs however I'm told that USB-3 was announced soon after the first USB-2 computers came out and this resulted in most audio manufacturers not bothering with USB-2 since they already had 1394 products to sell.
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Head

31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vier-personen View Post
I think in a few years it will be usb 3.0 (or another hi-speed, hi-bandwidth interface), solid state disks, and so on.
in audio this will mean increased track-counts with higher sample rates, more complex dsp.
better sound.
times will be great!
though, i'm still waiting for music to come along that's any better than what was recorded on 4 track tape
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
though, i'm still waiting for music to come along that's any better than what was recorded on 4 track tape
Gonna be a long wait, if you haven't heard it by now then you are ridiculously fussy and possibly an anorak.

Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search