New Reply
Subscribe
TeraBrite
26th September 2009
Old 26th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to TeraBrite
Any Cubase 5, 64 bit stories?

I know 64 bit has caused many problems in the past, but from what I hear Cubase 5 has finally fixed that problem. Are we really finally past all the headaches? Anyone have a story that proves that statement wrong?

(I am looking into getting Cubase 5 with Windows 7 64 bit very soon.)
26th September 2009
Old 26th September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post
I know 64 bit has caused many problems in the past, but from what I hear Cubase 5 has finally fixed that problem. Are we really finally past all the headaches? Anyone have a story that proves that statement wrong?

I don't know what and where you've heard that, but that's far from true.

The only way Cubase 64bit is going to work, is if all your plugins are 64bit. Cubase 64bit's way of dealing with 32bit plugins is far from perfect, and crashes a lot. I've tried... and it's also Steinberg's official statement on the matter.

I'm running Cubase 5 32bit on Windows 7 64bit, and that's completely stable. You still get a little memory benifit of that, since all none of the 3 gig limit for 32bit apps needs to go to the OS.
TeraBrite
26th September 2009
Old 26th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to TeraBrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgV View Post
I don't know what and where you've heard that, but that's far from true.

The only way Cubase 64bit is going to work, is if all your plugins are 64bit. Cubase 64bit's way of dealing with 32bit plugins is far from perfect, and crashes a lot. I've tried... and it's also Steinberg's official statement on the matter.
Well... According to Steinberg...

"Cubase 5 features bit-map technology to enable the use of 32-bit VST effect and instrument plug-ins in the 64-bit version of Cubase, protecting past investments and ensuring future compatibility of older plug-ins."

Are they lying?
26th September 2009
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

27th September 2009
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

If unhappy with Cubase 5 64 bit, try Reaper 64 bit. I'm really happy with Reaper on a new i7 computer build, and don't miss Cubase at all (was longtime user). Not to trash Cubase, just sayin'... :-)
12th October 2009
Old 12th October 2009
Gear maniac

jbridge seems to be working where vst bridge is a joke. I really don't care for Steinberg's attitude in that thread either. "If you don't like vst bridge then use the other one" Come on!!!... This attitude from a company towards it's costumers who paid good money for a product is totally unacceptable. I don't know where you can get off with selling a product that you know does not work, and basically tell your customers to F*ck off. In my neck of the woods that's called fraud.

VSL ve-pro looks really promising. It will have no peer once they get the play issues worked out with eastwest. It lets you select between 32 bit and 64 bit vst's across multiple computers.

If I wasn't so hooked into Yamaha with C5, motif rxs, and going to add either a mr816 csx or an n12 cause they sound so good.

It's a little too difficult to give up the integration with c5. If it wasn't for that I would move to reaper 64.
12th October 2009
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear

Reaper 64 isn't without its issues either in regard to its handling of 32 bit plugs.

IMHO jbridge is still the best way to go.

I agree with the above poster about the great hardware/software intergation, with CC121 and the MR816's etc it's hard to beat a fully integrated system.

Marcus
12th October 2009
Old 12th October 2009
Gear addict

I am leaving Cubase/ steinberg because of this as well-
Cubase is a great daw- but there are so many bugs and annoyances- which steinberg doesn't address- then they will release a new version of it's software- which has the same bugs but new features..i don't get it
I'm heading to studio one as we speak- this is a killer daw with so far incredible communication and integrity in their product.
LQM
12th October 2009
Old 12th October 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

No DAW is going to be 'past it's headaches' completely until we have all adopted 64 bit architecture and o/s, with good functional 64 bit drivers for all audio and MIDI devices and native 64 bit plugins.

It's not really any DAW vendors fault that all of these ducks are not likely to be in a row for a good while. The workaround is to use the 32 bit version of Cubase/Sonar/Reaper etc inside a 64 bit o/s (so long as you have audio and MIDI interface drivers which work), you can access more RAM than under win XP32 and your plugins are going to work. Even with J-Bridge, a fair number of plugins don't work properly under 64 bit mode yet.

Same deal with all 64 bit programs, Reaper and Sonar are no different (although their own bit-bridge seems to work slightly better than Steinberg's but both work less well than J-Bridge, which itself is far from perfect).

Don't be in such a rush to early adopt. It will at least 2 years before everything settles down and plugin vendors update their plugin range to native 64 bit and audio and MIDI device manufacturers provide solid, stable and good performing 64 bit drivers simultaneously.
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
The workaround is to use the 32 bit version of Cubase/Sonar/Reaper etc inside a 64 bit o/s (so long as you have audio and MIDI interface drivers which work), you can access more RAM than under win XP32 and your plugins are going to work.
Hello, I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit for the sake of having more memory than 3 GB.. I am currently on XP Pro 32 bit..
I am using Cubase 5.0..

Any known downside?

thanks..
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Head

for a different side of the story: having no probs whatsoever with cubase 64 and win7 64bit. running like a charm.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdude View Post
for a different side of the story: having no probs whatsoever with cubase 64 and win7 64bit. running like a charm.
Are you using a bridge? Which one?
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Banned

You most likely wont need a bridge. If you have a couple of plugins that are problematic, just download Jbridge. Its like 10 bucks.

Im running Cubase 5 64bit in Win 7 64bit with no problems.

I even have 32 bit Waves plugs runnging just fine using Jbridge.

TK
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I agree, Cubase's vst bridge is a joke. Sonar has the best bridging technology of all DAW's. If you have Sonar x64 + jbridge, there is virtually no 32-bit plug you can't bridge (in 90% of cases, bitbridge works, jbridge covers the remaining 10%.)

For the record, I use both Cubase 6 and Sonar X1b, occasionally Reaper (only on my laptop, when I'm out.)
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear interested

Cubase 5 and Windows 7 64bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite View Post

I have Cubase 5 which worked perfectly on Vista 32bit but on my new Windows 7 64bit I can't even download a driver for the e-licenser (it downloads on the hard drive but not the e-licenser). I have spent a fortune on phone calls to a very bad tempered tech at Steinberg and he can't fix it. I also have an M Audio Delta 44 pci card and can't download a driver. I'm thinking of scrapping the lot and going with pro-tools
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzy View Post
I have Cubase 5 which worked perfectly on Vista 32bit but on my new Windows 7 64bit I can't even download a driver for the e-licenser (it downloads on the hard drive but not the e-licenser). I have spent a fortune on phone calls to a very bad tempered tech at Steinberg and he can't fix it. I also have an M Audio Delta 44 pci card and can't download a driver. I'm thinking of scrapping the lot and going with pro-tools
I had no problem with downloading elicensing stuff...I went from XP x32 to W7 x64 too!

Regarding ur interface...only M-Audio's site or support can help u find a w7 x64 driver.
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barruso View Post
Hello, I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit for the sake of having more memory than 3 GB.. I am currently on XP Pro 32 bit..
I am using Cubase 5.0..

Any known downside?

thanks..
I just did the same upgrade for the same reason! You'll be fine...just install the 64bit version from ur disks. Btw....is there a reason ur on 5.0 and not 5.5.3 or whatever the last C5 update was?

And also, like others are saying, if any of ur plugins are 32bit u'll need the jbridge for them to work. Worked like a charm for me.

This sh*ts pretty daunting...but not so difficult once u start the process and read forums etc. Good luck!
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

If you want to avoid all bridging compatibility issues with existing plugs then just use 32bit Cubase on 64bit Win7.

Because of the 64bit o/s you can already address more ram than before...32bit o/s have a single program limit of 1.7Gb I think so there is a big improvement.

If you do need to run lots of sample instruments & will need more than 4Gb then you can use Jbridge to bridge your sampled instruments only. Jbridge wrapper is seen as a separate program so bypassing the single program limit.
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
If you want to avoid all bridging compatibility issues with existing plugs then just use 32bit Cubase on 64bit Win7.
Does anyone know how much ram W7 x64 will allot to Cubase x32? I'm glad to hear its better than a x32 os but I'm just curious....I need to do this to run Sonoma Drumcore since its not x64 compatible...even with jbridge !

Thanks!
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase x32 can address 4GB of RAM in W7 x64.

<-- My Report on x64 usage -->
I just closed a project with 150 patches/channels of sample based virtual instruments. No problems at all. All my 32bit plugins bridge fine.
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear interested

More on cubase e licensing. Im a guitarist so not as technically minded as most people on this thread. I bought Cubase Essential 5 which has enough features for my solo work, just last summer. When I try to download the e licenser driver it completes the process and when I click run it takes me to the page where you enter the activation code. In the licensing column on the left panel it just shows a hard disk icon and not a USB e licenser. A message at the bottom of the page says ' Currently there is no elicenser connected to your computer which you can download your license to. Please connect an appropriate USB Licenser to your computer'.
If iI check on the hardware it shows the e licenser, by publisher unknown. If I repeat this process on my old Vista 32bit it identifies Steinberg and the licensing process completes fine.
It seems that windows 7 is unable to read or communicate with the e- licenser. Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone know how to fix it? I have sent numorous emails the Steinberg technical support with screen shots of the process - all of which are unanswered. Their forum is down so I can't communicate this issue with other cubase users - probably collapsing under the weight of licensing complaints. I have spent £20 plus on phone calls (got the bill yesterday) and sent an email syaing PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS - response was zero
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search