Logic Express vs. Reaper for new iMac
New Reply
Subscribe
aaron aardvark
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Gear nut

Logic Express vs. Reaper for new iMac

I have an iMac that's almost 10 years old. My wife is a total Mac person. I am tentatively planning on buying a new iMac before the end of the year. For the last 13 years, I have been used to recording with hard disc recorders (first a Roland VS-880 & now a Korg D3200). I want to be able to MIDI sync to my old hardware devices to a future new iMac. I have heard good things about Reaper, but it's only a Beta version for a Mac. I don't have much patience for computer problems. Perhaps I'm better off buying Logic Express for $200 in the future? I guess I could try Reaper for a month & see if it works for me. But I hate to invest tons of time if it's unlikely to work right. I want to use EZDrummer in the near future. What do you guys think?
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

With all respect to Logic and all, I do think that Reaper might work better in your case CPU-wise seeing that your computer is pretty old...
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Gear nut

I agree. But if you are buying a new iMac then Logic would be a great place to start.

O-D
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Gear nut

Might just be me, but after playing with Reaper on my MacBook on several occasions, I never could get my MIDI controller working.

Once you get the new machine, you can download and install Reaper for free to see if it will meet your needs. If it doesn't, Logic is great.

Ron
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

Do your self a BIG favor and get LOGIC for your Mac.

I have REAPER on my Mac here and its have baked and has LOT of midi issues.
I took it off my desktop as its that unusable right now

Logic is WAY better in this area. You can try it. After not being able to adjust the midi volume to my hardware synths with the mixer and sloppy midi timing, Id had enough.
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

The Mac version of Reaper is pretty rough- it reminds me of those Cubase free things that come with cheap USB interfaces. It's hard for me to fathom what makes folks so excited about Reaper, I have to constantly remind myself that we aren't talking about the same software.

Try Logic Express. If you end up liking it, the upgrade to the full Studio includes the price of what you've already paid for Express. Enjoy your new Mac, L
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
The Mac version of Reaper is pretty rough- it reminds me of those Cubase free things that come with cheap USB interfaces. It's hard for me to fathom what makes folks so excited about Reaper, I have to constantly remind myself that we aren't talking about the same software.
, L
Reaper flys on a PC. Mac, not so much.
aaron aardvark
21st September 2009
Old 21st September 2009
Gear nut

Thank you very much for all of your responses! I appreciate it! I think I am pretty sold on the idea of buying Logic Express at this point.
3rd October 2009
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear addict

I am using Reaper on a Mac in a pro-studio as my main DAW and I am quite happy with it.
Some aspects still need to evolve but it sounds really good and once you've tried your hand at it, I'd be surprised if you would not like it.
Possibilities are just incredible - Logic Express will be more limited but it can be an advantage if you are looking for a simple straight-ahead solution.
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Head

Logic Express is smooth on the Mac and is in no way "limited". Reaper has a different workflow and for the Mac is not quite as mature for lack of a better term as Logic is. If you have not worked with a computer based system/software there will be a learning curve with Logic and will require a bit of patience with regard to finding endless menus, using keyboard shortcuts, mastering some of the editing capabilities etc. but, there are plenty of visual tutorials out there for Logic that can get you up and running quickly if you are a visual learner. More than anything, have fun with it! You will be rewarded by learning this app. As a staunch Pro Tools user for almost 10 years I'm very inspired by Apple's Logic Express/Pro. By the way you can get a copy of Logic Express 8 for $90-$100 street and it's solid.
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
I am using Reaper on a Mac in a pro-studio as my main DAW and I am quite happy with it.
Some aspects still need to evolve but it sounds really good and once you've tried your hand at it, I'd be surprised if you would not like it.
Possibilities are just incredible - Logic Express will be more limited but it can be an advantage if you are looking for a simple straight-ahead solution.
I think NOT being able to send a midi volume change with the FADER in the MIXER to an external synth in REAPER is LAME. IF it were the SAME on Mac as PC it would rock, for now, it simply does not.
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear addict

Reaper on Windows PC negates Apple Computers.

***(Before you flame on me, it's a joke, though I do love Reaper, and was previously a Mac/Logic lover.)***
aaron aardvark
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
noize organizer,
Thank you for responding! Have you synced to external MIDI hardware with your Mac & Reaper combination?
aaron aardvark
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrablu View Post
Logic Express is smooth on the Mac and is in no way "limited". Reaper has a different workflow and for the Mac is not quite as mature for lack of a better term as Logic is. If you have not worked with a computer based system/software there will be a learning curve with Logic and will require a bit of patience with regard to finding endless menus, using keyboard shortcuts, mastering some of the editing capabilities etc. but, there are plenty of visual tutorials out there for Logic that can get you up and running quickly if you are a visual learner. More than anything, have fun with it! You will be rewarded by learning this app. As a staunch Pro Tools user for almost 10 years I'm very inspired by Apple's Logic Express/Pro. By the way you can get a copy of Logic Express 8 for $90-$100 street and it's solid.
Infrablu,
Thanks for the information! I guess I will have to research where I can get Logic Express 8 for $100 or less (or let me know).
aaron aardvark
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear nut

shanabit,
Thank you for your reply!
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark View Post
shanabit,
Thank you for your reply!
"Have you synced to external MIDI hardware with your Mac & Reaper combination?"

What do you want to know?
aaron aardvark
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
"Have you synced to external MIDI hardware with your Mac & Reaper combination?"

What do you want to know?
I have heard some people have had MIDI problems with the Mac & Reaper combination. So, I was wondering if anyone has MIDI synced a Mac/Reaper combo to an external MIDI hardware device like a hard disc recorder, or hardware sequencer, or other hardware MIDI device (like an AdrenaLinn). I heard an iMac & Logic Express combo can do this OK.
7th October 2009
Old 7th October 2009
Gear Head

aaron aardvark
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Gear nut

Infrablu & others,
Thank you for the ebay info! Not sure how risky it is to buy used software. I will definitely need an audio/MIDI interface in the future. It seems like a $130 Tascam US-122L would do the job (I think). It comes with Cubase LE 4 recording software, which is hopefully enough to get me going. Comments anyone?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search