Which HD? WD vs Seagate vs Samsung
New Reply
Subscribe
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Which HD? WD vs Seagate vs Samsung

Ok I have 2 enclosures and I need to put some drives in them. One as a recording drive, the other as backup etc. Please advise if you can!

I've checked out the following:

WD Caviar Black: Looks very fast but runs very hot and loud some say
WD Caviar Green: Great reviews overall but may be too slow for audio work, better as a quiet backup option perhaps.
Samsung Spinpoint F1: Specs look great, fast, silent..but apparently high failure rate and only a 1 year warranty
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12: Relatively fast and supposedly quiet, but relatively high failure rate.

WD and Seagate have 3 year warranty's from what I gather opposed to Samsungs 1 year.

I know everyone has their favorite and HD's ultimately pack up, but please share your personal experience with these if you have. If there is an option I am overlooking that would work well for my audio drive please include it. Price is not really an issue (besides Raptor).

These drives are all 1TB, 32MB cache, 7200rpm. Again, if I should be looking a smaller capacities to enhance performance please let me know.

Thanks
Joko
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Anyone? Please, Amazon is waiting and I'm itching to order!
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

In my experience (with the first and last options on your list) they both seem equal to me, in both performance and reliability. I've had one of each brand die on me over the years, but both were from the period a few years ago where the stock OEM ones that shipped in Macs had known problems.

Personally, all things being equal, I'd go for "three year warranty" and "one for recording, another one for backup", and call it good. Later, buy another one as a spare / backup-of-the-backup.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

WD used to be shit. data loss,etc.. then they got better.

Seagate used to be great. but some months ago, they had a lot of problems. I've lost data on those......

I'm using WD Black Caviar these days. Works great so far. Been using about eight 1T hard drives in my systems.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
WD used to be shit. data loss,etc.. then they got better.

Seagate used to be great. but some months ago, they had a lot of problems. I've lost data on those......

I'm using WD Black Caviar these days. Works great so far. Been using about eight 1T hard drives in my systems.
Awesome thanks for replies, any comment on the Caviar Black noise levels? Seagate and Samsung are much quieter according to Techreport chart:

Western Digital's Caviar Black hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 13

This drive will be in an enclosure nearby, can't afford excess HD noise with my current setup.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joko View Post
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12: Relatively fast and supposedly quiet, but relatively high failure rate.
When I built my office PC a couple of months ago the 7200.11 drives seemed to have many failures even within the first month or so, but the new 7200.12 drives seemed to be better.

My music PC has a pair of 200GB 7200.8 drives that are still working fine as well as a couple of other Seagates I still use regularly and having had failures with Maxtor and Western Digital I was apprehensive to try anything else. I went for a 500GB 7200.12 and it works like a charm. It's much faster than the old 200GB drives in my music PC and I'm going to be upgrading those to a single 1TB 7200.12 soon (with external backups...).

That said others seem to be having good experiences with the Western Digital Caviar Black series at the moment and I will give reviews of those a look when the time comes.
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Great thanks for reply.

May purchase a Seagate 7200.12 and a WD Caviar Black and if the Caviar Black is too loud I will use it for my back up drive.

Either this or a similar combination, don't think I'll get 2 the same.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

I'd say the Caviar Black is more reliable (seagate's reputation has been crap lately) But it IS pretty noisy. Even worse is it's not predictable. Sometimes I do heavy work with not a peep from it. Others I get A loud spinning noise from just checking my email. I also have a Seagate as my back up, which is quiet but I dont trust it, it's one of those 7200.11's

"Tis wisdom which thou hath spoken from thine lips, peradventure, thus typith such thing with thine own hands. And the world shall see thine myspace page in all its wonderous glory; and behold, it will count as one view. For now the children of intel shall follow me, on twitter, out of the wilderness" - P. Smith.

Either it's Perion Smith or it didn't happen!!
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Thanks.

Well I may have got the Samsung Spinpoint F1 warranty wrong. According to Tomsharedware it has a 1 year but Newegg and others put it at 3 years. In that case it is very competitive.

I am not able to order from Newegg though being situated in Hamburg, Germany. So Amazon is my best bet..and I can't seem to find the Warranty there, being in German and all. I guess it must be 3 years then.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear maniac

I just bought some Spinpoint F1 RAID series drives and have been happy.

I've got other Spinpoint drives and they are all pretty quiet.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

On the subject of quiet, I have an 80GB IDE Samsung Spinpoint that I use for mobile recording in an Icy Box enclosure (which is quite open) which is very quiet indeed and is no louder than my Pentium M laptop.
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Great, thanks now I'm more confused than ever!
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

We've been using the Samsung Spinpoint F1's 1TB drives here for the past 2 years and haven't had a single failure out of the 120 drives in daily use.
These are the choice of all the video people I know as well. Better reliability and better performance.
We've been using the standard edition drives for all our daily use, but ponied up for the RAID edition for all the internal raids in the production systems.
I purchased a case of 1TB 7200.11's and had 4 failures in the first month. Once bitten, twice shy. Also, stay away from the WD Green drives AT ALL COST! These had an 80% failure rate in our experience.

All the best,
-mark
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
We've been using the Samsung Spinpoint F1's 1TB drives here for the past 2 years and haven't had a single failure out of the 120 drives in daily use.
These are the choice of all the video people I know as well. Better reliability and better performance.
We've been using the standard edition drives for all our daily use, but ponied up for the RAID edition for all the internal raids in the production systems.
I purchased a case of 1TB 7200.11's and had 4 failures in the first month. Once bitten, twice shy. Also, stay away from the WD Green drives AT ALL COST! These had an 80% failure rate in our experience.

All the best,
-mark
Thanks a lot Mark. Wow 80% failure on WD Greens, seems contrary to what I've read in other forums and Amazon reviews. And according to Newegg the failure of Spinpoint F1's is roughly 20%.

Could you clarify what the Spinpoint F1's warranty is?

I'm leaning towards buying a Spinpoint F1 and a WD Caviar Black and whichever runs better will be used for audio and the other for backup.

Thanks again.
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I have 2 enclosures and I need to put some drives in them. One as a recording drive, the other as backup etc. Please advise if you can!

I've checked out the following:

WD Caviar Black: Looks very fast but runs very hot and loud some say
WD Caviar Green: Great reviews overall but may be too slow for audio work, better as a quiet backup option perhaps.
Samsung Spinpoint F1: Specs look great, fast, silent..but apparently high failure rate and only a 1 year warranty

WD and Seagate have 3 year warranty's from what I gather opposed to Samsungs 1 year.

I know everyone has their favorite and HD's ultimately pack up, but please share your personal experience with these if you have. If there is an option I am overlooking that would work well for my audio drive please include it. Price is not really an issue (besides Raptor).

These drives are all 1TB, 32MB cache, 7200rpm. Again, if I should be looking a smaller capacities to enhance performance please let me know.

Thanks
Joko
I have a mac pro and put WD velociraptor 10,000 rpm 300gig... they are fast and I don't hear them making noise... very happy with them. they cost a bit though but Hey - ITS MY STUDIO..not my internet computer

Roger Brainard
www.rogerbrainard.com
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
I have a mac pro and put WD velociraptor 10,000 rpm 300gig... they are fast and I don't hear them making noise... very happy with them. they cost a bit though but Hey - ITS MY STUDIO..not my internet computer

I am running Logic on a Mac Pro. Occasionally I'd get a brief stall and some message about not enough performance. I switched to velociraptors for my system and song data drives and now I never EVER stall, I can easily put together songs with 50+ tracks with lots of processing and NO PROBLEMS.

My third internal drive is a relatively low cost 2TB model I put in there to back up my Velociraptor data drive.

Frankly, I've had every drive brand fail at one time or another, that includes Seagate, Maxtor, WD, and Hitachi.

The Velociraptor 150GB is what I have for my system disk. I got one of the 300s for my active project data. I bought mine from MacSales (OWC) and they've been awesome.

Best of luck with your selections.
Joko
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear nut

Thanks for the 2 posts regarding Raptors. As mentioned in my original post I won't be splurging on such drives as of yet. They are triple cost but 12% the capacity.

On a side note, when I receive either the WD, Seagate, or Samsung, do I need to run a format? If so please tell me which, I'm assuming this is done in Disk Utility? I believe this reduces the chance of drive failure?
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear addict

what about Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 \ Deskstar 7K1000.C ?
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

I used to use Seagate,when I recently switched to larger newer drives OWC aka Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC[/url] suggested Hitachi drives.
Independently,I also heard from another vendor of SATA enclosures I use(Firmtek) They also confirmed that the Hitachi drives have a very quick spin up and spin down times and are easier on power supplies than Seagates(if that makes sense)
I added 4 drives,all have been very good.
2.8 Quad Intel(2008)MacPro24 gig ram,OSX10.83, DP8.04, RME FF 800,Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,NI Komplete ,UAD....assorted plugs,VI's... Vdrums (TD20 expanded) Superior2, Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata PowerSnakes and Conditioners,too many hard drives... ESATA
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Been using Spinpoints here for a year,fast and silent :-)

Marcus
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Thanks for the 2 posts regarding Raptors. As mentioned in my original post I won't be splurging on such drives as of yet. They are triple cost but 12% the capacity.

On a side note, when I receive either the WD, Seagate, or Samsung, do I need to run a format? If so please tell me which, I'm assuming this is done in Disk Utility? I believe this reduces the chance of drive failure?
A 150 GB Velociraptor is under $188. 150GB is a lot of recording space and the high performance and throughput this drive offers is unmatched, it can and does make a difference.

I don't know where you are shopping for disks but your math is a bit off. At $188 dollars a Velociraptor 150 is only triple the cost of a WD 500GB drive which is just a little over 3 times the size but much lower throughput. The Velociraptor is made for digital media production. Samsung has not even been in the hard disk business long enough to establish a track record. Do you want to trust your recordings on that? I've been using Macs since 1985 and I've had my share of drive failures.

Once I had to pay Drivesavers $2200 to get back my income tax information from a failed Seagate drive. That was not a good day. If you're going to do multitrack digital audio and production at least get an enterprise class disk solution so you've got a hope of it lasting for a while. Digital audio asks a lot from a hard disk. And while you're at it be sure to figure out your backup solution because sooner or later all drives fail. There is a reason that the Hitachi Enterprise class drives and the Velociraptors have 5 year warranties where the Samsung has a three year. In the end, it's a matter of how much your audio is worth to you.

In answer to your other question about formating, it's a good idea to format new drives for Mac use. You'll want the drivers on the disk to match your system as close as possible. I've bought Maxtor drives that mounted but refused to write with whatever driver they came with preinstalled. I know Maxtor was acquired by Seagate but I still have a LOT of their drives.

Check out OWC macsales for HD purchases. I've also had great luck and good prices from TransInternatioal.

Best of luck to you.
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear maniac

Seagate and WD are top notch IMO. I have used both brands for many years and never had any issues with either brand (unlike toshiba and hitachi). Most drives that fail do so within the first few weeks if it's a manufacturing defect. After that you pretty safe. Temperature and vibration are the two main factors that affect hd reliability. Raptors are not really worth it these days as you can get almost the same performance from a 7200 rpm drive with higher aureal density.
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear nut

I am using mostly Samsung Spinpoints in various sizes for years now - never had any problems (knock on wood). Some Hitachis died, but sooner or later every harddisk will die, so doing backups is essential - take these extras disks into account!

A cheap source for harddisks in Germany is alternate dot de.
Joko
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear nut

Thanks for replies, most appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine source View Post
what about Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 \ Deskstar 7K1000.C ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
OWC suggested Hitachi drives.
Independently,I also heard from another vendor of SATA enclosures I use(Firmtek) They also confirmed that the Hitachi drives have a very quick spin up and spin down times and are easier on power supplies than Seagates(if that makes sense)
I added 4 drives,all have been very good.
They seem to be very fast, but also very noisy from what I've read. Just under Raptors in noise levels (7K1000). I have also been recommended Hitachi..by a gear enthusiast, not a recording engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Been using Spinpoints here for a year,fast and silent :-)
It seems you are one of the lucky ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
I don't know where you are shopping for disks but your math is a bit off.

There is a reason that the Hitachi Enterprise class drives..
I am shopping at Amazon.de. The Spinpoint 1GB for eg is €60 vs €204 for the Velociraptor 300GB. Sorry I thought that was the price of the 150GB so my math there was off. But still triple cost for 33% storage. May be worth it, maybe I should put more consideration to that as an investment.
I have a 3.5 enlcosure, the 150GB Velociraptor seems to be 2.5.

By 'Enterprise' which I see a lot, are you specifically referring to a hard drive having a 5 year warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxymoron View Post
Raptors are not really worth it these days as you can get almost the same performance from a 7200 rpm drive with higher aureal density.
Thanks for this, will need to research aural density. Again according to Techreport 1TB drive comparison tests, the odd one out, a WD 640GB AAKS, performed amazing. Not sure if that has anything to do with aural density. I read that the 2 platters operate faster, data density etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-o- View Post
I am using mostly Samsung Spinpoints in various sizes for years now - never had any problems (knock on wood). Some Hitachis died, but sooner or later every harddisk will die, so doing backups is essential - take these extras disks into account!

A cheap source for harddisks in Germany is alternate dot de.
Thanks. Touch wood, that's great. I really would like to go for the Spinpoints, they seem to clean is most benchmarks (besides the Raptors). Although I worry that their high performance may have something to do with them failing earlier than most. Thanks for the Germany link.
Joko
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear nut

How important is Cache with an external audio drive? Most sites claim there is no significant difference between 16 and 32 cache. Although this isn't testing audio. And I see many Glyph, Avastor and Raptors use 16MB cache so it can't be that important can it?

Besides I'm running a home studio where I will hardly be recording more than 2 tracks simultaneously, or running my projects over 50 tracks.
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I get it...but... if you use a raptor 150 for the files and a smaller high buffer drive for systems and then get a BIG drive for storage ..it is not all that expensive for the system.. I mean you are not going to get good performance out of one huge drive with the system and files.. so you will have 2 drives anyway...and yeah I know that 1TB drives are cheap...I bet you are only looking at $100 bucks more.. I think Tiger had the 150 Vraptors for 180.00 last time i looked.. use that for active files and..zooooom...just me thinking though..
4th September 2009
Old 4th September 2009
Gear maniac

So what'd ya get Joko?
4th September 2009
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Guru

I had a spinpoint and it was pretty fast, but it ran very hot. I replaced it with a single 320gb platter WD and while that drive is not quite as fast, the speeds are more consistent and it is way cooler, which should translate into longer life and less change of data corruption.
4th September 2009
Old 4th September 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Arrow

i have 2x hitachi 1tb, also i have 1x samsung spinpoint f1 hd103uj 1tb.
the hitachi makes loud noises when turning off, but never had a problem so far.

the hitachi are not as quiet as Samsung.
also the hitachi runs hotter in idle.
but i have 4x Thermaltake Aquabay M4 that works great.
i had bad sector problems with Samsung hd103uj.
i did formated the HDD for 2 days straight, and then did error test.
the problem dissapeared.

it seems that the F1 is not 100% compatible with IDE mode controller in the PC BIOS.
I did selected in the PC Bios AHCI instead maybe RAID mode could work also, and installed the Drivers for the AHCI mode, my MSI Eclispe x58 board its the: ICH10R AHCI for XP.
im usign XP.

also it seems that the AAC feature in the HDD Bios makes the drive to fail.
Acoustic controller that lowers voltages to save power and be even quieter!, similar to Intel EIST.

i disabled the AAC with the Samsung ESTOOL 3.0g
free download at samsunghdd.com
& so far so good.
i was about to throw in to the trash can the drive becouse did not allowed to format over 62%, and the MBR sector was "disapeared".
but now works again, i thought it was physical damage, but seems its compatibility problem in IDE mode.
...anyway
i like more the Read,Write & Seek noise of the Samsung more vs. Hitachi.
the samsung sounds more delicate, the hitachi sounds like coarse, and its going to fall appart anytime, but never fails so far...

...external cases controller chip works in IDE mode.

get the smaller 2.5" 500GB HDDs with small external cases.
or
WD2002FYPS 2TB enterprice HDD.
or
SSD 256GB HDD.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search