New Reply
Subscribe
arbee
19th August 2009
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Head

mac osx audio midi setup HELP

hello people,

I am having problems with the osx audio midi setup utility.

I have an old Edirol UA-20 card, I have the latest driver and the card is recognized. I just received a piece of hardware with usb (which doesn't need driver with osx).

I can see both of them in the Midi settings. I see that they both have 1 MIDI OUT and 1 MIDI IN.

I would like to link them both to be able to use the software editor... but it doesn't work. In fact, in the midi setup, I cannot "draw" any line between the midi ports.

is there something I'm doing wrong ??

thanks for the help,
Arvvbbee
20th August 2009
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbee View Post
hello people,

I am having problems with the osx audio midi setup utility.

I have an old Edirol UA-20 card, I have the latest driver and the card is recognized. I just received a piece of hardware with usb (which doesn't need driver with osx).

I can see both of them in the Midi settings. I see that they both have 1 MIDI OUT and 1 MIDI IN.

I would like to link them both to be able to use the software editor... but it doesn't work. In fact, in the midi setup, I cannot "draw" any line between the midi ports.

is there something I'm doing wrong ??

thanks for the help,
Arvvbbee
Why would you want to draw a line between one MIDI interface and another? There's probably a reason it won't "let" you do that.

What you're supposed to do is create icons that represent your other hardware - such as a hardware synthesizer or drum machine - and then draw the "lines" to represent the MIDI cables that you have connected between your MIDI hardware unit(s) and your MIDI interface(s), so that you see "Kurzweil K2600", for example, instead of "MIDI port 1", in your sequencing software.

For your "piece of hardware with USB" you can think of it as a "piece of hardware" that's already permanently connected to a USB interface. If you like, you can add a new icon to the "MIDI" side of Audio MIDI setup, name it whatever the piece is actually named, and "draw a line", and it'll show up with whatever name you give it (Drum Machine, Virtual Analog Bleep Bloop Box 2000, whatever), instead of "USB Class Compliant Audio Device" or whatever default name the USB-MIDI port is showing up as now.
arbee
20th August 2009
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrnps View Post
Why would you want to draw a line between one MIDI interface and another? There's probably a reason it won't "let" you do that.

What you're supposed to do is create icons that represent your other hardware - such as a hardware synthesizer or drum machine - and then draw the "lines" to represent the MIDI cables that you have connected between your MIDI hardware unit(s) and your MIDI interface(s), so that you see "Kurzweil K2600", for example, instead of "MIDI port 1", in your sequencing software.

For your "piece of hardware with USB" you can think of it as a "piece of hardware" that's already permanently connected to a USB interface. If you like, you can add a new icon to the "MIDI" side of Audio MIDI setup, name it whatever the piece is actually named, and "draw a line", and it'll show up with whatever name you give it (Drum Machine, Virtual Analog Bleep Bloop Box 2000, whatever), instead of "USB Class Compliant Audio Device" or whatever default name the USB-MIDI port is showing up as now.
thanks for the answer but I think something is still missing.

my "piece of hardware with USB" is actually a Dave Smith TETR4. it is a synthesizer with USB, MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and POLY CHAIN OUT.

in the manual, they say that you just need to plus the USB to edit the synth with the software editor. Whenever I do that, the editor doesn't seem to recognize the synth.

so I thought that I needed to link the synth with my soundcard (with midi) just to make them exchange the data... I guess I had it all wrong somewhere.

too bad the manual for the software editor isn't out yet, I guess I'll have my answers in there...

thanks a lot chrisrnps, and if you can find the answer with the additionnal infos I just gave, go ahead !!

EDIT: and by the way, I already see the "TETRA" thing in the midi setup for osx, it just doesn't want me to link it anywhere... and in the manual they say that you shouldn't plug the USB and the MIDI IN at the same time...
8th September 2009
Old 8th September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbee View Post
thanks for the answer but I think something is still missing.

my "piece of hardware with USB" is actually a Dave Smith TETR4. it is a synthesizer with USB, MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and POLY CHAIN OUT.

in the manual, they say that you just need to plus the USB to edit the synth with the software editor. Whenever I do that, the editor doesn't seem to recognize the synth.

so I thought that I needed to link the synth with my soundcard (with midi) just to make them exchange the data... I guess I had it all wrong somewhere.

too bad the manual for the software editor isn't out yet, I guess I'll have my answers in there...

thanks a lot chrisrnps, and if you can find the answer with the additionnal infos I just gave, go ahead !!

EDIT: and by the way, I already see the "TETRA" thing in the midi setup for osx, it just doesn't want me to link it anywhere... and in the manual they say that you shouldn't plug the USB and the MIDI IN at the same time...

I am not familiar with that particular synth but I would still think that you are missing something in terms of the logical process of the setup. Plugging that synth in is literally creating a new MIDI port on your mac. You do not need to assign it to link to another one.

You should only need to open up the editor program and check to see if it has any Options or Preferences that will "point" its functionality to the new MIDI port of the DSI.

In short, I don't think the problem is in the audio/midi dialog for OSX... I think it is almost certainly in the menu options for the editor.

Hope that helps.
msl
8th September 2009
Old 8th September 2009
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yes Chris and Unrealworld are right, you don't need to do anything in Audio Midi Setup. It's the preferences for midi setup within the editor that need to be set right. You can look at the manual for the Mopho editor to see how, that part of it should be about the same for both machines. Note the Mopho doesn't have usb, so you should see something like "Tetra USB midi port 1" in your options.

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search