pod 2.0 or pod XT?
erikjamesmusic
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear nut

pod 2.0 or pod XT?

i'm a tv/film composer, and i thought guitar rig 3 would be perfect for live guitar tracking. turns out, no matter what the buffer size, there's always a latency, and in my opinion this is not conducive to musical playing.

i'm going to purchase an external guitar amp/simulator, and i'm wondering what your opinions are: pod xt or 2.0? i used to have a VOX tonelab that i liked OK for vintage sounds but not for modern stuff. I like whatever is quick, easy, and musical for a great take.

thoughts?
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
What about a smaller amp for sounds. I ditched my pod x3 for a fender Vibro Champ XD and couldn't be happier! No need to run it loud. You can get great sounds at low volumes.
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

not sure of budget but i have a POD XT Pro and i purchased a Fractal Audio AXE FX standard a while back and IMHO its much much better than the POD so if your looking for an outboard piece thats how i would go

Welcome - Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplifiers
erikjamesmusic
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear nut

fractal thing is too expensive. i wanna spend $300 max.

checked out the fender vibrochamp. i had a hotrod deluxe for a while that i sold because i didn't have room for it in my apt. i would, of course, much rather have a real amp, but the size of my studio won't allow for it right now. that's why the pod is so appealing.

what didn't you like about the x3, henge?
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear addict

IF your using PT, Eleven is the shit! As the other person said the Axe Fx is the absolute tits.
erikjamesmusic
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear nut

I'm looking for a hardware piece. I'm on DP6, anyhow, and i already have guitar rig 3.

any other experiences with the pods?
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjamesmusic View Post
I'm looking for a hardware piece. I'm on DP6, anyhow, and i already have guitar rig 3.

any other experiences with the pods?
pods work perfect for what your looking for...

one thing i would do also, get a morley a/b box send one line to pod and one direct to your daw, and record both, so if you want to reamp later you have the direct guitar to play with!
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a POD and they're great for recording in a pinch. What I like to do is record 2 tracks. One with the pod and one clean so I can use an amp modeler later to add a different sound if need be.

I'd rather mic up an amp but if that's not practical the POD will get you very close to where you need to be.
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear nut

Hello:

Pod 2.0 sounds much better then XT IMHO. XT has a NASTY quality to the upper mids that the 2.0 doesn't have (as bad)...

FOR THE MONEY... the behringer V-Amp rack unit is not bad, and for the money pretty good, if you go out S/PDIF to DAW.

Good luck and welcome to hell!

hotshot

Last edited by hotshot; 14th August 2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Typo
erikjamesmusic
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Gear nut

maxpidge, thanks for your suggestion, that's what i will do, buy an A/B box and record the clean AND the POD affected tracks at the same time. then i can combine and reamp with GR3 during the mix if need be.

hotshot, you said 2.0 sounds BETTER than the XT? but then you say the XT has a "tasty" quality in the upper mids. isn't "tasty" a good thing? expand, if you would.

Also, is the POD a piece of gear you can safely buy used?
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
maxpidge, thanks for your suggestion, that's what i will do, buy an A/B box and record the clean AND the POD affected tracks at the same time. then i can combine and reamp with GR3 during the mix if need be.

hotshot, you said 2.0 sounds BETTER than the XT? but then you say the XT has a "tasty" quality in the upper mids. isn't "tasty" a good thing? expand, if you would.

Please see edit...
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Axe FX, no question.

If not, get ANYTHING for the player to hear himself through, and record a CLEAN DI. Use an Amplitube (2, Fender, Metal).

WAY better results than with the POD.

This was a quick test I did using Amplitube Metal. 15 mins, a bit of tweaking. It'll pass:

http://www.roestudios.com/dump/propulsion_intro.mp3
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Gear addict

I've had the Pod 2.0 and XT. There is no comparison. Don't even think about the 2.0. If you do video work you may need many different sounds. The POD 2.0 IMO cannot get a usable clean sound. The XT can get many clean sounds and can totally rock out and anything in between. Also the fx on the 2.0 are sad to say the least. The fx on the XT are totally professional. If all you ever do is loud distortion with no effects the 2.0 may work but for the extra $100 I highly recommend the POD XT.

Having said that I would recommend getting Pod Studio software instead.
I have Line 6 Pod Studio, Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 2 on my computer. the Pod studio has all the XT models/effects plus some. I never use the anything but the Line 6 software. It is by far the best and most versatile IMO. I could never get a decent sound from Guitar Rig. POD studio presets instantly fit whatever I'm doing with little tweaking. Amplitube sounds good but I think Pod studio is easier, more versatile and the preset library is wonderful. Also you get ZERO PERCEIVED LATENCY REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOUR HOST LATENCY IS SET TO! This is their direct monitor feature and it sets it apart from everything else. And you can easily record dry while hearing your effected sound and change amps at will during mixdown. For video work this as good as it gets.
erikjamesmusic
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Gear nut

wow, zero perceived latency? that's sweet. although I only have enough CPU headroom for 1 instance of guitar amp software, so I currently have it setup in an aux track (record the DI signal on an audio track, set the output of that track to the dedicated aux with ampsim software, route that aux back to another audio track). Sort of convoluted, and I think that there would always be latency with that signal chain. I'm at a 128 buffer for my guitar template.

Long story short, I still think my best move is to by a morley ABY box and send one track to DI and one track to a POD. I have heard one user that favors the 2.0 and one that heavily favors the XT. I think I probably go with the XT.

Are these safe to buy on the used market or would you recommend buying them new?
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Eleven blows Amplitube away. PSA-1 is ok for stuff, too.
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Gear addict

I use the POD X3. It's a step above the XT. I think you can get them now for $300. Fantastic unit.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I think the new waves gtr is as good as the pod finally there are so many options.. I went direct for years in my apt's and now my house. Now I just built an iso cabinet. that I use with a real marshal JCM head. It sounds 2X as good as pods
or any direct device.

Pods sound kinda crappy compared to a real amp. You can get an ok sound to tape if you really work at it. The JCM800 setting in the xt isn't miserable but doesn't sound anything like a real Marshall

Another good di gtr modeler is the pandoras box but the Korg pandora 2 this is the one in the pic. It's old and hard to find but sounds better than a pod or any other model under $300. You see them on ebay for $75. for some reason the version 3 and 4 suck. the second model is great? who knows why?

Also try a speaker sim like Groove Tubes SE II, Koch, FANTA, Redbox with an ADI preamp it sounds killer direct.
Add a little reverb maybe a speaker impulse and your good to go.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
wow, zero perceived latency? that's sweet. although I only have enough CPU headroom for 1 instance of guitar amp software, so I currently have it setup in an aux track (record the DI signal on an audio track, set the output of that track to the dedicated aux with ampsim software, route that aux back to another audio track). Sort of convoluted, and I think that there would always be latency with that signal chain. I'm at a 128 buffer for my guitar template.

Long story short, I still think my best move is to by a morley ABY box and send one track to DI and one track to a POD. I have heard one user that favors the 2.0 and one that heavily favors the XT. I think I probably go with the XT.

Are these safe to buy on the used market or would you recommend buying them new?

The way you do it with Pod Sutdio is:

Guitar into included interface
DI from interface into DAW input (this is the clean signal)
Stereo out from included interface to mixer for hearing amped signal
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

Pods sound kinda crappy compared to a real amp. You can get an ok sound to tape if you really work at it. The JCM800 setting in the xt isn't miserable but doesn't sound anything like a real Marshall

My experience is the opposite. I've had several different Fender and Marshal tube amps and the Pod Farm always sounds as good or better, on "tape".

You should read the Electronic Musician article from a few months ago where they do a blind test with seasoned, name producers who have spent their lives recording tube amps of famous musicians. The could only tell the "real" thing 38% of the time from the modelers which included Pod Farm, Eleven, Amplitube and Guitar Rig 3 and Reavalver. The jury is back on modelers. While the experience of standing in a room with a real amp cranked up is quite different, in a recording, modelers can easily replace a real amp with stellar results. And they are infinitely more versatile and efficient in the recording process. That's why my tube amps gather dust. We all have our own preferences, however.
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in one more time and then I'll shut up. Although it has all the same sounds as the Pod X3, the Pod Studio software with the included interface (not the iLock version) will put you miles far ahead of the the outboard Pod unit in terms of ease of use and getting things down quickly and giving you more options during mixdown. And the direct monitoring really works.
Just my experience.
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Head

Neither, I would look into Vox's Tonelab LE. I own both the Pod XT pro and the Tonelab LE. I first got the Tonelab LE and to my surprise it is very reactive, it behaves somewhat like a real tube amp. At first, I tought the Valve Reactor thingy was more a marketing gimmick, but turned out there's definetly some mojo to it.
I don't give a rat's as* if the models are true to their origins. I was interested in good tones for recording. I can honestly say, It sounds good and feels like an amp, in an organic saturation kind of way. It might be a little trebly, but which modeler is perfect anyway, let alone a real amp. I also have used it with cab emu turned off and feeding the power amp input of my fender ultimate chorus dual combo amp, basically bypasing its preamp, with very good results. It is really great either way, directly, or by using a real amp, bypassing its preamplifier, or using an amp that has line level inputs. I get tons of great tones without much tweaking.
I used to take the Tonelab back and forth between home and the studio, as I used it at work a lot, but also never wanted to leave it there and have no fun at home. So, as a suggestion from a friend and based on reviews, etc, I recently bought a POD XT pro rack to leave something at the studio, and not have to drag my Tonelab all the time. Well, my expectations were very high for this one, because of all the hype it gets, and I felt somewhat dissapointed. I mean you can get some decent sounds for recording, but the mojo is not definetly there, at least for me. My assistant also agreed with me without even priorly sharing my opinion with her. So that tells me I'm not crazy either
It just doesn't feel like as reactive as the Tonelab, even the FX, for my taste do not sound as good as tonelab's. Now I'm more into clean and crunchy kind of saturated dirty tones, but with the tonelab I've been able to get good overdriven sounds too without getting deep into that territory. For clean and crunchy is awesome in my opinion. But with the pod XT, its just fizz land when you go to eleven. I don't know, I've been tweaking it a lot, trying to find great sounds, but it just feels like a cheap EQ'd sound. I've been able to get some decent clean tones, and some crunchy tones after much tweaking, but not as good and as easy as with the tonelab. With the tonelab, at least for me (I now the flames might be heading this way already), any amp I try, it just a matter of doing some little tweaks here and there, turn the treble control a little bit down on my deluxe strat and I'm in heaven. Then just for shakes I switch to another cab, little tweaks here and there and I find another very usable tone that puts a big smile in my face. Not all of em work, of course, but many do. Much less options than the XT, but much more easy and fun to get good tones by doing small tweaks and still keeping it simple.
But you really have to try it for yourself to see what I mean. Go to GC or whatever, pick a good guitar and try it for yourself. Try to plug it directly into a line level device or digitally via SPDIF into a recording setup with nearfields, without an amp, or, try it with a keyboard amp, or to the Stereo FX returns if all you have handy is a guitar amp. Read the manual to get a feel of the Valve Reactor circuit and how the knobs affect its response regarding the emulations.
Just my 2 cents..
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 View Post
My experience is the opposite. I've had several different Fender and Marshal tube amps and the Pod Farm always sounds as good or better, on "tape".

You should read the Electronic Musician article from a few months ago where they do a blind test with seasoned, name producers who have spent their lives recording tube amps of famous musicians. The could only tell the "real" thing 38% of the time from the modelers which included Pod Farm, Eleven, Amplitube and Guitar Rig 3 and Reavalver. The jury is back on modelers. While the experience of standing in a room with a real amp cranked up is quite different, in a recording, modelers can easily replace a real amp with stellar results. And they are infinitely more versatile and efficient in the recording process. That's why my tube amps gather dust. We all have our own preferences, however.
I can tell in 2 seconds just from the tube harmonics if it's a modeler

I have 2 pods, lots of speaker sims. I get a good sound with them. Just not a great sound like with a real amp and a nice ribbon mic or modded 57.

the modelers work. But there is a difference in the texture.
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrooves666 View Post
Neither, I would look into Vox's Tonelab LE. I own both the Pod XT pro and the Tonelab LE. I first got the Tonelab LE and to my surprise it is very reactive, it behaves somewhat like a real tube amp. At first, I tought the Valve Reactor thingy was more a marketing gimmick, but turned out there's definetly some mojo to it.
I don't give a rat's as* if the models are true to their origins. I was interested in good tones for recording. I can honestly say, It sounds good and feels like an amp, in an organic saturation kind of way. It might be a little trebly, but which modeler is perfect anyway, let alone a real amp. I also have used it with cab emu turned off and feeding the power amp input of my fender ultimate chorus dual combo amp, basically bypasing its preamp, with very good results. It is really great either way, directly, or by using a real amp, bypassing its preamplifier, or using an amp that has line level inputs. I get tons of great tones without much tweaking.
I used to take the Tonelab back and forth between home and the studio, as I used it at work a lot, but also never wanted to leave it there and have no fun at home. So, as a suggestion from a friend and based on reviews, etc, I recently bought a POD XT pro rack to leave something at the studio, and not have to drag my Tonelab all the time. Well, my expectations were very high for this one, because of all the hype it gets, and I felt somewhat dissapointed. I mean you can get some decent sounds for recording, but the mojo is not definetly there, at least for me. My assistant also agreed with me without even priorly sharing my opinion with her. So that tells me I'm not crazy either
It just doesn't feel like as reactive as the Tonelab, even the FX, for my taste do not sound as good as tonelab's. Now I'm more into clean and crunchy kind of saturated dirty tones, but with the tonelab I've been able to get good overdriven sounds too without getting deep into that territory. For clean and crunchy is awesome in my opinion. But with the pod XT, its just fizz land when you go to eleven. I don't know, I've been tweaking it a lot, trying to find great sounds, but it just feels like a cheap EQ'd sound. I've been able to get some decent clean tones, and some crunchy tones after much tweaking, but not as good and as easy as with the tonelab. With the tonelab, at least for me (I now the flames might be heading this way already), any amp I try, it just a matter of doing some little tweaks here and there, turn the treble control a little bit down on my deluxe strat and I'm in heaven. Then just for shakes I switch to another cab, little tweaks here and there and I find another very usable tone that puts a big smile in my face. Not all of em work, of course, but many do. Much less options than the XT, but much more easy and fun to get good tones by doing small tweaks and still keeping it simple.
But you really have to try it for yourself to see what I mean. Go to GC or whatever, pick a good guitar and try it for yourself. Try to plug it directly into a line level device or digitally via SPDIF into a recording setup with nearfields, without an amp, or, try it with a keyboard amp, or to the Stereo FX returns if all you have handy is a guitar amp. Read the manual to get a feel of the Valve Reactor circuit and how the knobs affect its response regarding the emulations.
Just my 2 cents..
tonelab is great
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I can tell in 2 seconds just from the tube harmonics if it's a modeler
Many people say that but every time there is a test it proves not to be true so easy. These people in the EM blind test couldn't tell:

D. James Goodwin
(Thursday, Parliament-Funkadelic, Motion Picture Demise)

John Holbrook
(B.B. King, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, the Isley Brothers, Fountains of Wayne)

Pete Moshay
(Hall and Oates, Daryl Hall, Paula Abdul, B.B. King, Barbra Streisand, Fishbone)

Paul Oroino
(John Petrucci, Blue Oyster Cult, Anthrax)

Tozzoli
(Al Di Meola, the Marsalis Family, David Bowie).

You'd have to agree that they have experienced ears when it comes to tube amps.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search