Running separate PC for GigaStudio and Acid ?
Sobe
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
Gear addict

Running separate PC for GigaStudio and Acid ?

Any Mac users run a PC in addition to your Mac to run GigaStudio and Acid and just kind of look at the PC as a kind of sound module ?

Running a G5 for ProTools and another one for Logic and all the Virtual samplers and synths , but would really like to have GigaStudio
. Also I have found no Mac based program that compares to Acid for the kinds of things this program does .
25th August 2005
Old 25th August 2005
go for halion or something like this..

gigastudio is the buggiest software ever.. they should get a price for most buggy
26th August 2005
Old 26th August 2005
Gear maniac

I just got finished building a MicroATX AMD XP3000+ 2Gigs of rams and a 300gig HD specifically for Gigastudio. I am using my old Aardvark Q10 for my digital out. The Q10 is a bit overkill, but heck they aren't worth much else now a days.

My plan is to compose beats on my EMU XL7 and/or use my Oxygen 8 to trigger my Gigabox and then dumping the audio it into my 002r as audio while locked to MTC. I am hoping that this setup will be more flexible then a MPC or a MV8000, it was definitely cheaper regardless of the result.
27th August 2005
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm doing this,
I have a PT HD rig on a g5 still using softsynths such as trilogy, stylus rmx, and atmosphere.

I used to use soft sample cell, once that lost support, i tried Reason, then I wasn't impressed with that moved to Mach 5, but have really given up on it....don't know if it's a pro tools problem or motu, but it got really old with it really slowing things down and having to print something immediately after laying it down if I wanted my stability back.

i finally (what I should have done a few years ago) got gigastudio. I bought a dedicated HP computer from Comp USA at a great price(against most people's recommendations)...stripped everything back, followed all the "tweaking" instructions from Tascam and ONLY run giga on it.

I'm not familiar with the PC world, but I had it vulnerable on the web for literally 30 minutes and it got a spyware or something on it. Cleaned that off and things are fine.

Gigastudio definately can be buggy, but once it's up and running it's great...I don't think anything compares to giga and the libraries and overall features available.

Other companies have tried to match up to it for years, but it seems it always happens in the hype of the press and not actually on the software; falling short on something, whether it be function, features, stability, libraries, or support.
27th August 2005
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

i built a pc (3.0ghz 2.0 gig ram), run kontakt, samplitude, sonar, vst synths, sampletank, spectrasonics stuff
i have an application called chainer that allows you to use the computer just to play vst synths and vst effects
which can then be layered together, w total recall

i use an emu 1820m soundcard, run my external keyboards into it, adat over to a protools hd
so in essence its a giant rompler, tape deck (samplitude)

this is a great setup, there are tons of cool vst synths
the emu card comes with 2 gigs of samples and the emmulatorX software sampler
i am running a protools hd3 accel on a 1.25 mdd g4, i have much better luck running many softsynths from my pc (minimonsta, ect...)

i also mix into samplitude, sometimes
sometimes doing small mastering jobs w samplitude

another plus is for fast work - all the above programs open much faster than protools

computer (rack mount) 900.00 - built myself (newegg)
emu 1820m card 500.00

rtas sucks in protools, i find native instruments stuff virtually unusable, and i own a bunch, so this setup
is a god send

hope this helps
27th August 2005
Old 27th August 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
i have an application called chainer that allows you to use the computer just to play vst synths and vst effects which can then be layered together, w total recall
Thanks for the info on this app, I didn't know it existed!
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Gigastudio definately can be buggy, but once it's up and running it's great...I don't think anything compares to giga and the libraries and overall features available.

Other companies have tried to match up to it for years, but it seems it always happens in the hype of the press and not actually on the software; falling short on something, whether it be function, features, stability, libraries, or support.
looking to dedicate a PC to Gigastudio also....I few questions if you don't mind....

what would be the minimum PC horsepower to run a Giga rig?? is it hard disk streaming or do you need to load up on RAM??

does Gigastudio come with a "starter" sample library?? if so, can it get the job done?? what would be some other recommendations for "starter" libraries??

I've heard you can convert an AKAI library to Giga...is this true?? I've got Platinum Drums in AKAI and also Moroder vintage synths and the Miroslav ensemble and solo strings...it would be awesome to be able to use these in Gigatudio....

thanks
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54
looking to dedicate a PC to Gigastudio also....I few questions if you don't mind....

what would be the minimum PC horsepower to run a Giga rig?? is it hard disk streaming or do you need to load up on RAM??

does Gigastudio come with a "starter" sample library?? if so, can it get the job done?? what would be some other recommendations for "starter" libraries??

I've heard you can convert an AKAI library to Giga...is this true?? I've got Platinum Drums in AKAI and also Moroder vintage synths and the Miroslav ensemble and solo strings...it would be awesome to be able to use these in Gigatudio....

thanks
2ghz processor and 1gb RAM is minimum in my experience.

Get the full Gigastudio Orchestarl - you get all the Vienna and Gigapulse Pro goodness.

A guy sells it here on ebay for $379:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-GIGASTUDI...QQcmdZViewItem
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
2ghz processor and 1gb RAM is minimum in my experience.

Get the full Gigastudio Orchestarl - you get all the Vienna and Gigapulse Pro goodness.

A guy sells it here on ebay for $379:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-GIGASTUDI...QQcmdZViewItem

i got a athlon 3400+ which I believe is around 2.2ghz. It came with 1gb of ram. I don't depend on it heavily, but I can have a heavy piano and other stuff going on and not even peak past 50% of processor.

I agree about getting the Orchestra version.

Also, if you already own a version of Reason, Mach5 or old sample cell, and a few others, you can get a competitive upgrade (a fantastic deal) on the cheap.
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've got a pc that i use for all of my softsynths and giga, works like a charm. V-Stack from Steinberg hosts all of my vsti's and works flawlessly as well.
AjD
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
AjD
Gear addict

I've also got a dedicated PC running all my virtual instruments. And I'm a PC guy - my other box is dedicated to DAW work, and that's all it does.

The Virtual Instrument PC is hooked up to a MIDI controller and is located next to the hammond in the tracking area. So, physically, it "lives" on the musican's turf. I like the idea that there is a "virtual keyboard station" ready to go, as if it was a hardware synth. Less chance of crashes, etc. The musician's prefer it too... they can dink around in Reason, or whatever, without conflicting with what I'm doing (and more importantly vice-vera).

I find that, far more than DAW software, musicians are more-and-more pretty savvy on their own with virtual instrument applications (like Kontact, etc). So, this approach makes them feel like they are in control of their own instrument.

Adam
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Gear addict

I run multiple partitions on the same machine and have had good luck.

I have 3 partitions each with a separate load of WinXP Pro on them. Each one is for completely differnet work: DAW, Multimedia work, and everyday use. So far it's worked pretty well. The OS's for the most part are unaware of each other so they don't meddle too much. I scan for spyware and viruses with the everyday partition when I use it and seems to be working out fairly well.

If you can't afford multiple workstations, and would like to avoid the pitfalls of a typical "Do everything" machine I highly recommend it. And with the cost of current hard drives, it's also cheap!
AjD
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
AjD
Gear addict

Yeah, I second the multiple OS load approach. Although I do have a separate PC for virtual instruments, my main DAW PC has three (!) completely separate OS partitions (courtesy of PartitionMagic).

The first is the DAW. The second is my Web surf / Business load. The third is an identical load of the DAW.

Since Partition Magic swaps OS partitions at a pretty low level hardware-wise (the other 2 unused OS loads actually have their parent partition hidden using the hard disk's Master Boot Record), it's *extremely* hard for a virus, spyware, etc. to affect any of the other loads. And only my Web/Business load is connected to the Net.

[That is to say, the different OS loads have no way of talking to each other - at least none that I've ever heard of. It's the best kind of firewall there is.]

Incidentally, that third load has been a lifesaver. In my experience, fatal system crashes are typically software related - some plug-in combination opens a memory leak, for example. I've had more than one session rescued by simply loading up the "backup DAW" on Partition No. 3.

Of course, if a power surge fries the system drive, that's another story...

Adam
31st August 2005
Old 31st August 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
I've got a pc that i use for all of my softsynths and giga, works like a charm. V-Stack from Steinberg hosts all of my vsti's and works flawlessly as well.

I have a similar setup, Mac/PC hybrid setup.

I have V-Stack, NI stuff etc and Giga on the same PC. I haven't had a lot of luck running V-Stack and Giga at the same time. The sound card is setup to run both ASIO and GSIF drivers, still I end up using Giga by itself and then overdubbing using V-Stack instruments.

Is there some kind of trick to make the two coexist. Lately thinking about a second PC to run them separately.

And Giga definitely is buggy. I recently upgraded from Ensemble to Orchestra (upgrade sent from Tascam) with nothing but registration related problems after downloading 3.1.

Anyway,

Hey, are you running V-Stack and Giga at the same time?

Santo
22nd November 2005
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear maniac

i got a athlon 3400+ which I believe is around 2.2ghz. It came with 1gb of ram. I don't depend on it heavily, but I can have a heavy piano and other stuff going on and not even peak past 50% of processor.

Doug:

Is this the same machine as your DAW?

I've got an Athlon 2600, and can load up stuff just fine until I turn Gigapulse on, at which point I go past 100% in the CPU meter (or to 100%, depending on what CPU meter you look at).Before I turned it on, I will be WAY below 50% (sometimes down to 7 or 8%).

Do you have this problem?

It's not a RAM problem, since I'm using the same instruments as always, but a physical CPU problem.
Seems crazy. Any help from anyone?

Stephen
22nd November 2005
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

I have a main studio dual 2ghz G5 running HD and 2 Mac's running Rax and 3 PC's running ACID, Gigastudio and Max MSP that all act as midi sound modules.
They stay on 24/7 and it just works.
All auxed into PT.

JR
24th November 2005
Old 24th November 2005
Gear maniac

This is my set up: Mac with Digital Performer, PC that runs Gigastudio (and ACID, on occasion). It's worked great for me for a few years now. The PC is a dedicated box and I've never had any major problems with it (except for one crash, where the good people at Dell had me back up and running in an hour). I've never hooked it up to the Internet, either, or installed any other software except for Giga and ACID.

I have a Gina Echo as my audio out of my PC and I bring it back with my other synths/samplers through my console mixer - I like those sounds to hit "air" and I prefer to do most of my mixing on the board.

-Kenny D
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search