Cloning an iLok
New Reply
Subscribe
ajv205
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear addict

Cloning an iLok

Has any computer genius out there figured out how to clone / duplicate an iLok? It would be the best way to be able to back-up licenses. There MUST be a way.

16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
Has any computer genius out there figured out how to clone / duplicate an iLok? It would be the best way to be able to back-up licenses. There MUST be a way.
This is against the terms of service. You may not duplicate an individual license.

Purchase Zero down time.

You are, of course, more than welcome to buy multiple licenses for backup purposes.
ajv205
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear addict

Hmmm. I heard that its not that simple and that some licenses are unrecoverable unless the original vendor or plugin manufacturer is involved. I have some important licenses purchased second-hand. Do you work for iLok? Sounds like you do.
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
Purchase Zero down time.
this is the way.

for all the badmouthing of ilok's it saved my life in a crash.

I wish ALL my software authorizations were on an ilok. it's just cleaner than having to find/restore all the various kinds of auth schemes, challenges, etc.

and with zero downtime I'm double protected. I actually think it's smart. It's also ONE DONGLE for EVERYTHING... Amen.

What I love about ilok is that I don't have to "deuthorize" something before a crash! I mean - if I knew I was going to have a crash that was going to kill a license... I'd be pyschic... This is especially problematic when changing hardware or CPU.
ajv205
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear addict

still no confirmation if it works with absolutely all of my licenses, regardless of manufacturer or origin. just trying to wrap my head around this dispelling any myths / badmouthing.
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is against the terms of service. You may not duplicate an individual license.

Purchase Zero down time.

You are, of course, more than welcome to buy multiple licenses for backup purposes.
Mayor is correct on this one.

The best solution:

DON'T BUY DONGLED SOFTWARE!!
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
still no confirmation if it works with absolutely all of my licenses, regardless of manufacturer or origin. just trying to wrap my head around this dispelling any myths / badmouthing.
I do not work for iLok.

I had a great experience when my iLok got broken while on tour using a Venue system. Had my liscenses back on my spare iLok extremely fast.

I do not know for sure but I believe ALL LISCENSES are supported.

Perhaps the best way would be to get the information straight from the horses mouth...

https://www.ilok.com/cgi-bin/WebObje.../19/wa/Support
ajv205
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:

I do not know for sure but I believe ALL LISCENSES are supported.
ok thanks. looks like this is the bottom line and it leaves definite grey areas.
from the ilok legal jargon:

"
  • Temporary and replacement licenses for products not covered by Zero Downtime cannot be provided by the Zero Downtime system. Any temporary or permanent license replacement must be obtained from the associated software vendor.
  • PACE provides no guarantees regarding which products are supported by Zero Downtime."
gonna write them an email about policy regarding second-hand licenses.
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Guru

I respectfully disagree. The ilok saved me so much time and hassle after I had a catastrophic drive failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Mayor is correct on this one.
The best solution:
DON'T BUY DONGLED SOFTWARE!!
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to imgoinmad
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
The ilok saved me so much time and hassle after I had a catastrophic drive failure.
Are you meaning to say after catastrophic ilok failure? I don't understand how a drive failure can affect licenses that are on an ilok

Currently working on:
Death Planet (feature)

Just Completed:
Untethered (TV Pilot)

Recently Screened at SIFF:
Plain Face (Animated Short)
Howard From Ohio (Short)
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to brian_delizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoinmad View Post
Are you meaning to say after catastrophic ilok failure? I don't understand how a drive failure can affect licenses that are on an ilok
Because all you have to do with a drive failure is reinstall the plugs and plug in your ilok and you are good to go. You don't have to deal with authorizing each plug individually, doing challenge responses, etc, etc... I like the ilok because I work on multiple computers and I can just grab my plug auths and take them with me.

It is pretty obvious why you can't duplicate them...
17th July 2009
Old 17th July 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to imgoinmad
Gotcha! I was taking your post as indicating the ilok protection helped out, but I agree with you on dongled software. I love the ilok. It's annoying to have to keep track of your serial numbers, I do wish I could put everything on my ilok
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone got any more info on this, I pay for all my software, and love thee ilok system, but i want a dup so that I don't have to carry/loose them
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Enjoys Food too.

Personally I'd like to see them all switch to a system like waves has adopted. That way I could put all my licenses on one dongle of my own choice. I pay for my software but would rather not have to pay ilok on top of that. Especially annual fees in order to not have to worry about ilok malfunction holding up my work. ilok has always felt a little scammy to me because of that. I think the system Waves has gone with is the future. Same idea but we can use our USB flash drive of choice or have the licences on line.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
ok thanks. looks like this is the bottom line and it leaves definite grey areas.
from the ilok legal jargon:

"
  • Temporary and replacement licenses for products not covered by Zero Downtime cannot be provided by the Zero Downtime system. Any temporary or permanent license replacement must be obtained from the associated software vendor.
  • PACE provides no guarantees regarding which products are supported by Zero Downtime."
gonna write them an email about policy regarding second-hand licenses.

Interesting... why should anyone get ZDT, when not ALL licenses are covered?

Found this on iLok.com
-) 14-Day temporary licenses are immediately deposited into your iLok.com account for all eligible products seen on your iLok's last update with iLok.com. Once we receive your Broken iLok, your licenses are recovered and permanent replacement licenses are deposited into your iLok.com account.

-) License replacement for Lost or Stolen iLoks is handled by the software publisher directly.

Now ZDT sounds more like a scam. How can I rely on this service with those rules?

stardustmedia - murat
high end analog music production
stay tuned thru my facebook fanpage: stardustmedia
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

iLok has it's pros & cons, but I think ZDT should be compulsory with every purchase for an small incidental fee per license, for when an iLok is stolen, melted, smashed, failed, or whatever could happen to a cheap plastic key with an definite shelf life for data; and not like an insurance premium.

They should also allow a simple iLok image to be downloaded and flashed to any USB stick with a serial number (like Plugin Alliance), and not force the user to beg every company whom a license was purchased from when disaster strikes.

Imagine losing your drivers license that you paid several thousand dollars for because your car key broke or was dropped in a pond, all while the thieves get to drive your car around until you pony up and pay all over again. It doesn't make sense.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Interesting... why should anyone get ZDT, when not ALL licenses are covered?

-) License replacement for Lost or Stolen iLoks is handled by the software publisher directly.

Now ZDT sounds more like a scam. How can I rely on this service with those rules?
If your studio gets burgled or you lose your equipment at a gig this is handled by your insurance company, same things with iLoks.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
If your studio gets burgled or you lose your equipment at a gig this is handled by your insurance company, same things with iLoks.
Sure, the insurance will handle the costs. But if you get the license again as soon as possible is in ZDT's case up to the software publisher. I don't like the idea to pay and still not know if my plugins are covered.

And like in my case, 2 weeks ago, where I needed to wait 7 days for an approval, would make ZDT completely nonsense.

Of course a couple of weeks or maybe months later, when you get the money from your insurance, you could still rebuy all the plugins. But I wouldn't call that ZERO downtime
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, the insurance will handle the costs. But if you get the license again as soon as possible is in ZDT's case up to the software publisher. I don't like the idea to pay and still not know if my plugins are covered.

And like in my case, 2 weeks ago, where I needed to wait 7 days for an approval, would make ZDT completely nonsense.

Of course a couple of weeks or maybe months later, when you get the money from your insurance, you could still rebuy all the plugins. But I wouldn't call that ZERO downtime
From the ilok website>

"For truly Zero Downtime, you can immediately download your temporary licenses to a spare iLok. If you don't have a spare, order one now."
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the ilok website>

"For truly Zero Downtime, you can immediately download your temporary licenses to a spare iLok. If you don't have a spare, order one now."
Yeah it's just milking procedure.

I think Zero Down Time should be there right from the start for free.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
From the ilok website>

So, why should I wait until the worst case occurs? I could buy 2 spare iLoks now, download them and I'm ready for all situations

That won't work. First you need to file the incident, THEN some software publishers will approve or NOT.

That's how I understand it, and I don't like it. Although that doesn't mean I won't buy other iLok plugs. I still think it's a great product. But ZDT is just a big fat lie.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear nut

You are much better off buying real insurance for the replacement cost of the iLok. Make sure it covers theft, accidental damage and mysterious disappearance.

Lose your iLok? Stolen? Studio fire that melted it? File a claim. While you are waiting for the money, buy the replacements and put them on your spare iLok. That's not quite "zero" downtime, but it is close.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
Questions like this can be asked directly with Ilock... They are caring about their clients... And they will help battling downtime. It's their business... I resent questions like this asked there in this manner. This shows no respect... I never ever heard of people with broken Ilocks losing anything... The people of Ilock have a backup of your data and can help you very fast...

I do not own any ilock stuff but dealt with it very frequently. And the people are caring. Whatever happens when Ilock stops I dunno... But what happens when the sky falls down?

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Questions like this can be asked directly with Ilock... They are caring about their clients... And they will help battling downtime. It's their business... I resent questions like this asked there in this manner. This shows no respect... I never ever heard of people with broken Ilocks losing anything... The people of Ilock have a backup of your data and can help you very fast...

I do not own any ilock stuff but dealt with it very frequently. And the people are caring. Whatever happens when Ilock stops I dunno... But what happens when the sky falls down?
That sounds great. But when I needed their help I couldn't even find a contact form... maybe I was just too dumb to find it. Hope you can point us to the page, where customers can get in touch with them.
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Yeah it's just milking procedure.

I think Zero Down Time should be there right from the start for free.
By "free" you mean "included in the purchase price right? So in other words, you'd rather pay more up front than have the choice.

Because nothing is free....you realize that, yes?

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Gear addict

How about iLok.com/Support/Broken,Lost,or Stolen iLoks - then file a report?

Almost too easy to find...

Quote:
That sounds great. But when I needed their help I couldn't even find a contact form... maybe I was just too dumb to find it. Hope you can point us to the page, where customers can get in touch with them.
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
How about iLok.com/Support/Broken,Lost,or Stolen iLoks - then file a report?

Almost too easy to find...
That's true for stolen iLoks. Try to get in touch, when you have a question about transering a license, where the FAQ doesn't cover your question.

I want to transfer a license that requires an approval. Who does this approval?
Some software publishers require their approval prior to a License Transfer for a license for their products being processed.

Only the software publisher can provide the approval. We cannot do the approval or reverse your License Transfer request.

You can check on the status of a pending request by signing in. Any pending approvals will be displayed toward the top of the 'Manage Licenses > iLoks & Licenses' page. The name of the software publisher can also be found there.

I was waiting 4 days for an approval, then tried to get in touch with iLok, because the plugins didn't work meanwhile

The answer from Support | Licenses & Codes | Transfer lic's to another account | Licenses that require approval :