Login / Register
 
Cloning an iLok
New Reply
Subscribe
ajv205
Thread Starter
#1
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #1
Gear addict
 
ajv205's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 411

Thread Starter
ajv205 is offline
Cloning an iLok

Has any computer genius out there figured out how to clone / duplicate an iLok? It would be the best way to be able to back-up licenses. There MUST be a way.
__________________

#2
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 3,192

Mike Brown is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
Has any computer genius out there figured out how to clone / duplicate an iLok? It would be the best way to be able to back-up licenses. There MUST be a way.
This is against the terms of service. You may not duplicate an individual license.

Purchase Zero down time.

You are, of course, more than welcome to buy multiple licenses for backup purposes.
ajv205
Thread Starter
#3
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #3
Gear addict
 
ajv205's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 411

Thread Starter
ajv205 is offline
Hmmm. I heard that its not that simple and that some licenses are unrecoverable unless the original vendor or plugin manufacturer is involved. I have some important licenses purchased second-hand. Do you work for iLok? Sounds like you do.
#4
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
Purchase Zero down time.
this is the way.

for all the badmouthing of ilok's it saved my life in a crash.

I wish ALL my software authorizations were on an ilok. it's just cleaner than having to find/restore all the various kinds of auth schemes, challenges, etc.

and with zero downtime I'm double protected. I actually think it's smart. It's also ONE DONGLE for EVERYTHING... Amen.

What I love about ilok is that I don't have to "deuthorize" something before a crash! I mean - if I knew I was going to have a crash that was going to kill a license... I'd be pyschic... This is especially problematic when changing hardware or CPU.
ajv205
Thread Starter
#5
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #5
Gear addict
 
ajv205's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 411

Thread Starter
ajv205 is offline
still no confirmation if it works with absolutely all of my licenses, regardless of manufacturer or origin. just trying to wrap my head around this dispelling any myths / badmouthing.
#6
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #6
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,462

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
This is against the terms of service. You may not duplicate an individual license.

Purchase Zero down time.

You are, of course, more than welcome to buy multiple licenses for backup purposes.
Mayor is correct on this one.

The best solution:

DON'T BUY DONGLED SOFTWARE!!
#7
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 3,192

Mike Brown is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
still no confirmation if it works with absolutely all of my licenses, regardless of manufacturer or origin. just trying to wrap my head around this dispelling any myths / badmouthing.
I do not work for iLok.

I had a great experience when my iLok got broken while on tour using a Venue system. Had my liscenses back on my spare iLok extremely fast.

I do not know for sure but I believe ALL LISCENSES are supported.

Perhaps the best way would be to get the information straight from the horses mouth...

https://www.ilok.com/cgi-bin/WebObje.../19/wa/Support
Quote
1
ajv205
Thread Starter
#8
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #8
Gear addict
 
ajv205's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 411

Thread Starter
ajv205 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post

I do not know for sure but I believe ALL LISCENSES are supported.
ok thanks. looks like this is the bottom line and it leaves definite grey areas.
from the ilok legal jargon:

"
  • Temporary and replacement licenses for products not covered by Zero Downtime cannot be provided by the Zero Downtime system. Any temporary or permanent license replacement must be obtained from the associated software vendor.
  • PACE provides no guarantees regarding which products are supported by Zero Downtime."
gonna write them an email about policy regarding second-hand licenses.
#9
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
I respectfully disagree. The ilok saved me so much time and hassle after I had a catastrophic drive failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Mayor is correct on this one.
The best solution:
DON'T BUY DONGLED SOFTWARE!!
#10
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #10
Gear maniac
 
imgoinmad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Send a message via Yahoo to imgoinmad
imgoinmad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
The ilok saved me so much time and hassle after I had a catastrophic drive failure.
Are you meaning to say after catastrophic ilok failure? I don't understand how a drive failure can affect licenses that are on an ilok
__________________
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3043964/
http://www.productionhousemedia.com

Currently working on:
Death Planet (feature)

Just Completed:
Untethered (TV Pilot)

Recently Screened at SIFF:
Plain Face (Animated Short)
Howard From Ohio (Short)
#11
16th July 2009
Old 16th July 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
brian_delizza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,412

Send a message via AIM to brian_delizza
brian_delizza is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoinmad View Post
Are you meaning to say after catastrophic ilok failure? I don't understand how a drive failure can affect licenses that are on an ilok
Because all you have to do with a drive failure is reinstall the plugs and plug in your ilok and you are good to go. You don't have to deal with authorizing each plug individually, doing challenge responses, etc, etc... I like the ilok because I work on multiple computers and I can just grab my plug auths and take them with me.

It is pretty obvious why you can't duplicate them...
#12
17th July 2009
Old 17th July 2009
  #12
Gear maniac
 
imgoinmad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Send a message via Yahoo to imgoinmad
imgoinmad is offline
Gotcha! I was taking your post as indicating the ilok protection helped out, but I agree with you on dongled software. I love the ilok. It's annoying to have to keep track of your serial numbers, I do wish I could put everything on my ilok
#13
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 824

DannyMac is offline
Anyone got any more info on this, I pay for all my software, and love thee ilok system, but i want a dup so that I don't have to carry/loose them
#14
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #14
Enjoys Food too.
 
Grummy77's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 519

Grummy77 is offline
Personally I'd like to see them all switch to a system like waves has adopted. That way I could put all my licenses on one dongle of my own choice. I pay for my software but would rather not have to pay ilok on top of that. Especially annual fees in order to not have to worry about ilok malfunction holding up my work. ilok has always felt a little scammy to me because of that. I think the system Waves has gone with is the future. Same idea but we can use our USB flash drive of choice or have the licences on line.
#15
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
deft_bonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,904
My Recordings/Credits

deft_bonz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
ok thanks. looks like this is the bottom line and it leaves definite grey areas.
from the ilok legal jargon:

"
  • Temporary and replacement licenses for products not covered by Zero Downtime cannot be provided by the Zero Downtime system. Any temporary or permanent license replacement must be obtained from the associated software vendor.
  • PACE provides no guarantees regarding which products are supported by Zero Downtime."
gonna write them an email about policy regarding second-hand licenses.

Interesting... why should anyone get ZDT, when not ALL licenses are covered?

Found this on iLok.com
-) 14-Day temporary licenses are immediately deposited into your iLok.com account for all eligible products seen on your iLok's last update with iLok.com. Once we receive your Broken iLok, your licenses are recovered and permanent replacement licenses are deposited into your iLok.com account.

-) License replacement for Lost or Stolen iLoks is handled by the software publisher directly.

Now ZDT sounds more like a scam. How can I rely on this service with those rules?
__________________
.

stardustmedia - murat
high end analog music production
stay tuned thru my facebook fanpage: stardustmedia
#16
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mixtree Audio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 523

Mixtree Audio is offline
iLok has it's pros & cons, but I think ZDT should be compulsory with every purchase for an small incidental fee per license, for when an iLok is stolen, melted, smashed, failed, or whatever could happen to a cheap plastic key with an definite shelf life for data; and not like an insurance premium.

They should also allow a simple iLok image to be downloaded and flashed to any USB stick with a serial number (like Plugin Alliance), and not force the user to beg every company whom a license was purchased from when disaster strikes.

Imagine losing your drivers license that you paid several thousand dollars for because your car key broke or was dropped in a pond, all while the thieves get to drive your car around until you pony up and pay all over again. It doesn't make sense.
#17
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: london
Posts: 1,191

j-uk is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Interesting... why should anyone get ZDT, when not ALL licenses are covered?


-) License replacement for Lost or Stolen iLoks is handled by the software publisher directly.

Now ZDT sounds more like a scam. How can I rely on this service with those rules?
If your studio gets burgled or you lose your equipment at a gig this is handled by your insurance company, same things with iLoks.
__________________
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Beer... Now there's a temporary solution - Homer J
#18
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
deft_bonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,904
My Recordings/Credits

deft_bonz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
If your studio gets burgled or you lose your equipment at a gig this is handled by your insurance company, same things with iLoks.
Sure, the insurance will handle the costs. But if you get the license again as soon as possible is in ZDT's case up to the software publisher. I don't like the idea to pay and still not know if my plugins are covered.

And like in my case, 2 weeks ago, where I needed to wait 7 days for an approval, would make ZDT completely nonsense.

Of course a couple of weeks or maybe months later, when you get the money from your insurance, you could still rebuy all the plugins. But I wouldn't call that ZERO downtime
#19
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: london
Posts: 1,191

j-uk is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Sure, the insurance will handle the costs. But if you get the license again as soon as possible is in ZDT's case up to the software publisher. I don't like the idea to pay and still not know if my plugins are covered.

And like in my case, 2 weeks ago, where I needed to wait 7 days for an approval, would make ZDT completely nonsense.

Of course a couple of weeks or maybe months later, when you get the money from your insurance, you could still rebuy all the plugins. But I wouldn't call that ZERO downtime
From the ilok website>

"For truly Zero Downtime, you can immediately download your temporary licenses to a spare iLok. If you don't have a spare, order one now."
#20
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,045

mpod is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
From the ilok website>

"For truly Zero Downtime, you can immediately download your temporary licenses to a spare iLok. If you don't have a spare, order one now."
Yeah it's just milking procedure.

I think Zero Down Time should be there right from the start for free.
#21
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
deft_bonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,904
My Recordings/Credits

deft_bonz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
From the ilok website>

"For truly Zero Downtime, you can immediately download your temporary licenses to a spare iLok. If you don't have a spare, order one now."
So, why should I wait until the worst case occurs? I could buy 2 spare iLoks now, download them and I'm ready for all situations

That won't work. First you need to file the incident, THEN some software publishers will approve or NOT.

That's how I understand it, and I don't like it. Although that doesn't mean I won't buy other iLok plugs. I still think it's a great product. But ZDT is just a big fat lie.
#22
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #22
Gear nut
 
hosehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 101

hosehead is offline
You are much better off buying real insurance for the replacement cost of the iLok. Make sure it covers theft, accidental damage and mysterious disappearance.

Lose your iLok? Stolen? Studio fire that melted it? File a claim. While you are waiting for the money, buy the replacements and put them on your spare iLok. That's not quite "zero" downtime, but it is close.
__________________
| Logic Pro 9 | Reason 6.5 | Pro Tools 10 |
| MOTU UltraLite mk3 | RME ADI-2 | Summit Audio 2BA-221 | MOTU 8pre |
| Mac Pro (4,1) OS X 10.7.4 | Macbook Pro (8,2) OS X 10.7.4 |
#23
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Stavenisse
Posts: 2,041

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
muziekschuur is offline
Questions like this can be asked directly with Ilock... They are caring about their clients... And they will help battling downtime. It's their business... I resent questions like this asked there in this manner. This shows no respect... I never ever heard of people with broken Ilocks losing anything... The people of Ilock have a backup of your data and can help you very fast...

I do not own any ilock stuff but dealt with it very frequently. And the people are caring. Whatever happens when Ilock stops I dunno... But what happens when the sky falls down?
__________________
I use BAGEND SPEAKERS. you should hear em too.

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
#24
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
deft_bonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,904
My Recordings/Credits

deft_bonz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Questions like this can be asked directly with Ilock... They are caring about their clients... And they will help battling downtime. It's their business... I resent questions like this asked there in this manner. This shows no respect... I never ever heard of people with broken Ilocks losing anything... The people of Ilock have a backup of your data and can help you very fast...

I do not own any ilock stuff but dealt with it very frequently. And the people are caring. Whatever happens when Ilock stops I dunno... But what happens when the sky falls down?
That sounds great. But when I needed their help I couldn't even find a contact form... maybe I was just too dumb to find it. Hope you can point us to the page, where customers can get in touch with them.
#25
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #25
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London
Posts: 23,303
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
psycho_monkey is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Yeah it's just milking procedure.

I think Zero Down Time should be there right from the start for free.
By "free" you mean "included in the purchase price right? So in other words, you'd rather pay more up front than have the choice.

Because nothing is free....you realize that, yes?
__________________
Recent Indie credits include:

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
Quote
1
#26
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #26
Gear addict
 
Levon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 362

Levon is offline
How about iLok.com/Support/Broken,Lost,or Stolen iLoks - then file a report?

Almost too easy to find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
That sounds great. But when I needed their help I couldn't even find a contact form... maybe I was just too dumb to find it. Hope you can point us to the page, where customers can get in touch with them.
#27
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
deft_bonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,904
My Recordings/Credits

deft_bonz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
How about iLok.com/Support/Broken,Lost,or Stolen iLoks - then file a report?

Almost too easy to find...
That's true for stolen iLoks. Try to get in touch, when you have a question about transering a license, where the FAQ doesn't cover your question.

I want to transfer a license that requires an approval. Who does this approval?
Some software publishers require their approval prior to a License Transfer for a license for their products being processed.

Only the software publisher can provide the approval. We cannot do the approval or reverse your License Transfer request.

You can check on the status of a pending request by signing in. Any pending approvals will be displayed toward the top of the 'Manage Licenses > iLoks & Licenses' page. The name of the software publisher can also be found there.

I was waiting 4 days for an approval, then tried to get in touch with iLok, because the plugins didn't work meanwhile

The answer from Support | Licenses & Codes | Transfer lic's to another account | Licenses that require approval :

Related Topics (FAQ)
How do I move licenses between my iLoks?
Can I copy my licenses to another iLok (not move them)?
How do I transfer licenses to another user?


It's just a mere blablabla... no help at all, plus no chance to get individual support via phone or trouble tickets. So I went to pace.com, and the only email I found was from sales. So I wrote an email. After 3 weeks, still no answer.

"Gladly" after 7 days I received the approval. That's just a shabby customer service. I'm missing a real contact possibility. Imagine how it would be with ZDT and you run in a situation, where the FAQs don't help
#28
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: UK & France
Posts: 1,515

ivansc is offline
Must admit I have my issues with iLoks and PACE.
Main one is why the hell they dont support chrome firefox etc?
I my have mentioned this before, but it pisses me off that I have to rummage out an elderly laptop which actually has a version of IE on it in order to do anything maintenance-wise on their site.
#29
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
  #29
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,338

Jeezo is offline
this zero down time was ajoke when i read the 14 dayz Temporay licences !!

I 'm happy to buy plugins that are already w....zed for this particulary type of issue !!

Anyway i will have to deal with the suppliers ..so i handle everything on my own ...
#30
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
  #30
Enjoys Food too.
 
Grummy77's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 519

Grummy77 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Questions like this can be asked directly with Ilock... They are caring about their clients... And they will help battling downtime. It's their business... I resent questions like this asked there in this manner. This shows no respect... I never ever heard of people with broken Ilocks losing anything... The people of Ilock have a backup of your data and can help you very fast...

I do not own any ilock stuff but dealt with it very frequently. And the people are caring. Whatever happens when Ilock stops I dunno... But what happens when the sky falls down?
I do own ilok stuff and don't look forward to the next time I have a problem with it. The last time I had a problem they were WAY the opposite of caring. They made it pretty clear to me they did not care for me. They did suggest I buy another ilok and pay some sort of $100 fee or something on top. This was years ago now but they treated me with such little respect I've got a bad taste from them in my mouth still. If I had the choice I wouldn't use ilok at all. Unfortunately I still have some software I need that uses it. When asked I do let companies know that as a customer I would severely prefer other options to ilok.

In my case if there are two companies with competing products and there are no other major deciding factors I'll choose the one that does not use ilok. I hope eventually I will finally be able to rid my life of ilok. Unfortunately for now they are just one more necessary evil.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mikevarela / Post Production forum!
5
t_d / Mastering forum
18
Saudade / Music Computers
0
Ruudman / Music Computers
4
tonymite / Geekslutz forum
3

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.