New Reply
Subscribe
ckett
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Gear addict

Getting rid of loud pop!!!

Hello,

Anyone have any suggestions to getting rid of that loud "pop" sound every time you start or fast forward/rewind and play your DAW project.

I use Cubase 4 with an RME card at 128MB buffer. Not sure this can smoothed out or it is just a part of the precision DAW life.

ckett
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Gear addict

The sound is more like a snap sound. Not really loud but I think you know what I mean....
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Gear maniac

hi ckett, have you tried setting the buffer higher (e.g 256 or 512)? Try it and see if the click goes away. If it does, then that's you're problem - although the RME device will run at extremely small buffer sizes (i.e. low latency), it depends how well your system is optimised.

You should be able to run at 512 buffer size without noticing much latency in operation (it's 12 ms I believe), unless you're monitoring through the DAW itself - if you use the RME mixer for monitoring you can have the buffer size as high as you like, still with near zero latency for monitoring.
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

Is there any chance that you're using your audio interface as the 'everyday' (default) system audio player, probably at 44.1 kHz, but that you're using a different sample rate for recording?

That might account for the device switching sample rates every time you change modes, with it snapping back and forth from the default 44.1 to your DAW SR (48, 96, whatever)... and that might cause such pops.

It's that sort of thing that has always kept me from simply setting up my 'serious' interface as the system default interface. (I simply use the SB-clone built into my motherboard as the 'everyday' player.)

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
ckett
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear addict

I will try out the higher buffer setting.

I have a dedicated DAW so no system sounds. The onboard soundcard is disabled.

Thanks for the input!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search