anguswoodhead
11th June 2009
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to anguswoodhead
Pro Tools M-Powered Internet Explorer 8 Nightmare

Hi fellow Slutz.
I fought all day yesterday trying to get my Pro Tools M-Powered 8 software to fire up.
Turns out on Windows XP or Vista on a PC if you have Internet Explorer 8 then the Tools startup hangs at the Plug-in Loading page - usually on Structure or other plug-ins.
Went back to Internet Explorer 7 and Tools fired up first go.
Just wanted to let y'all know.
Peace.

This from the Digi website

Pro Tools application has stopped working, does not open or gets stuck at loading plug-ins on launch with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

If you are unable to launch Pro Tools while using Windows Vista or XP and have experienced one or more of the following symptoms, please try removing Windows Internet Explorer 8 (see removal instructions below.)

Behavior observed in Vista:

A) "Pro Tools application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Behavior observed in XP:

A) Pro Tools will begin to launch, load plug-ins and stop loading (get stuck) at structure.dpm or another plug-in file name.

B) After attempting to launch the Pro Tools program, an hour glass appears for a moment then disappears. (Task Manager > Processes may show Protools.exe as a running process)

Instructions to Remove Windows Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)

Windows XP:

1) Click on "Start"
2) Choose "Control Panel"
3) Choose "Add or Remove Programs"
4) Check the box to "Show Updates"
5) Locate "Windows Internet Explorer 8" and select it
6) Click "Remove"

Follow the on screen instructions to complete the Removal Process.

Windows Vista:

1) Click on "Start"
2) Choose "Control Panel"
3) Choose "Programs" ("Programs and Features" in classic view)
4) Click "View Installed Updates"
5) Locate "Windows Internet Explorer 8" and select it
6) Click "Uninstall" from the top of the window

Follow the on screen instructions to complete the Removal Process.

*This behavior can sometimes also be a result of having DEP (Data Execution Prevention) turned on. If the Above steps are unsuccessful, please see the following articles with instructions on how to turn off DEP (Also known as DEP Fix):

Windows XP | DEP

Windows Vista | DEP

In the rare case where add/remove shows IE7 when in you actually have IE8 installed, these instructions should help you remove IE8:

Windows XP:
1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Windows Vista:
1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
2. Click Start, and then type Cmd.exe in the Start Search box.
3. In the list of programs, right-click Cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. Right-click inside the Administrator: Command Prompt window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer. [Page View]

Mastering all styles and genres using an hybrid approach.
Special rates for unattended online mastering.
Add 24 Ch SSL analog summing for an extra $50 per song.
Prefer 10 stereo stems.

Sunshine Coast Mastering, Queensland, Australia
anguswoodhead
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Bump in case anyone else is having issues.
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Gear interested

Hey Angus,

I just wanted to thank you for this.
I have been banging my head against the wall for days trying to uninstall Pro Tools 7 from my laptop. I checked Digidesign's website, tried add/remove programs, tried the disk... nothing would work. I was actually thinking about reformatting... Gearslutz saves the day again.

I uninstalled IE 8 (never use it anyway..Firefox all the way) and boom...problem solved.

Cheers,

J Dubs
anguswoodhead
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarSound View Post
Hey Angus,

I have been banging my head against the wall for days trying to uninstall Pro Tools 7 from my laptop. I checked Digidesign's website, tried add/remove programs, tried the disk... nothing would work. I was actually thinking about reformatting... Gearslutz saves the day again.

I uninstalled IE 8 (never use it anyway..Firefox all the way) and boom...problem solved.

Cheers,

J Dubs
No worries mate.
I think it is the same for any ProTools on a PC - not just M-powered.
Get rid of Internet Explorer 8 people.
10th July 2009
Old 10th July 2009
Gear interested

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8

19th July 2009
Old 19th July 2009
Gear interested

I had this same problem with vista x64 sp2.. as soon as i uninstalled ie8, pro tools 7.4 works fine.

Uninstalling ie8 is an easy fix.. but im trying to get pro tools working in windows 7... Windows 7 ships with IE8 built in so theres no way to uninstall it. I get the exact same errors in Win7 when trying to launch pro tools. Im guessing that its just the same IE8 problem that effects the other OSes, and that if i didnt have ie8, pro tools would work fine in windows 7.

Has anyone come up with another way to fix this other then uninstalling ie8?

Id really like to get it working with windows 7 so i dont have to dual boot vista+win7
19th July 2009
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

IE8 has some problems with pt. Even with the net
Seriously, don't use internet explorer. It's the worst browser ever.
TD
19th July 2009
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf2012 View Post
I had this same problem with vista x64 sp2.. as soon as i uninstalled ie8, pro tools 7.4 works fine.

Uninstalling ie8 is an easy fix.. but im trying to get pro tools working in windows 7... Windows 7 ships with IE8 built in so theres no way to uninstall it. I get the exact same errors in Win7 when trying to launch pro tools. Im guessing that its just the same IE8 problem that effects the other OSes, and that if i didnt have ie8, pro tools would work fine in windows 7.

Has anyone come up with another way to fix this other then uninstalling ie8?

Id really like to get it working with windows 7 so i dont have to dual boot vista+win7
I had the error with IE8 + WinXP SP3.

Thought the same would occur with PTMP8 and Win7 64-bit 7100 RC1 due to IE8 being installed with it, but i've found a simple work around.

Uninstall IE8 via the control panel, and launch PTMP8 in compatibility mode of Vista SP1 (XP mode removes aero theme).

Works an absolute charm.
anguswoodhead
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

anguswoodhead
26th August 2009
Old 26th August 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Bump in case anyone else is having trouble.
30th October 2009
Old 30th October 2009
Banned

[QUOTE=CedarSound;4316117]Hey Angus,

Cheers,
I want to uninstal IE8 and it seems to be impossibel in my
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Factory Default Configuration
PC Model: Frost ACM Audio Computing Machines Intel (R) 4 CPU
RAM: 4,049 GB . I want to roll back to IE7, but that is impossibel in the Control Panel on my XP-PRO.IT seems to be built in when its installed. Is there any other way to do that. Dont need IE either using Firefox
31st October 2009
Old 31st October 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
what are your update settings?

when i uninstalled it, i automatically got the update notice but i made sure that it was just on notification. i chose which 'update' i needed that would secure ie7, ignoring the ie8 install. but it's possible that i didn't have problems because i had ie7 installed before.

you might want to find out what happens if you try to install ie7
31st October 2009
Old 31st October 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
what are your update settings?

when i uninstalled it, i automatically got the update notice but i made sure that it was just on notification. i chose which 'update' i needed that would secure ie7, ignoring the ie8 install. but it's possible that i didn't have problems because i had ie7 installed before.

you might want to find out what happens if you try to install ie7
I have done what you did but what happend witH IE7 ???
31st October 2009
Old 31st October 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
i should have been a lot more clearer. i meant dl ie7 and check the microsoft website knowledge base/troubleshooting to find out what happens if you install ie7 over ie8.

what happened when you tried? did it ask you if it was ok to uninstall ie8? or something else?
1st November 2009
Old 1st November 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
i should have been a lot more clearer. i meant dl ie7 and check the microsoft website knowledge base/troubleshooting to find out what happens if you install ie7 over ie8.

what happened when you tried? did it ask you if it was ok to uninstall ie8? or something else?
Just go to this Thread ( No remove button in my Control Panel )and you will have very many questions answered about this nightmare
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear nut

I dumped IE8; still did not work for me on my WinXP Pro SP3 NTFS setup. I'm dumping Pro Tools forever, at least until they decide to change because of all the potential market they're losing. Haven't seen that happen yet. It's 2013 and it's the same business as usual.
anguswoodhead
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveheavy View Post
I dumped IE8; still did not work for me on my WinXP Pro SP3 NTFS setup. I'm dumping Pro Tools forever, at least until they decide to change because of all the potential market they're losing. Haven't seen that happen yet. It's 2013 and it's the same business as usual.
Try posting your issues over at the DUC - pretty helpful people over there....
Avid Audio Forums - Powered by vBulletin
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried, and lot of the links to updates they recommend are now dead.
anguswoodhead
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Are you on the latest Pro Tools 10 version?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Are you on the latest Pro Tools 10 version?
No. I went with Sonar a few years ago because I found it easier to use at the time; and also because of an Indie record label engineer I was doing edits for was using Sonar.

It's my understanding that Pro Tools 10 software version will work with Avid's audio interface cards, like the M-Audio Delta 44 and Delta 1010L that I have. Avid claims third party interfaces will work, but they don't support them, so there again, they started to wise up by easing off the Mbox hardware requirement, but then backed up to semi-force usage of their other audio hardware products they do support. Computer CPU's have been powerful enough for quite a while now not to need an mbox, which by all the other DAW's that don't require it does reveal.

Internet Explorer 8 caused a conflict with earlier Pro Tools versions, up to version 8 or 9 I think. I wonder if anyone using version 10 will have that problem again when Microsoft updates to IE9. And that's my point of disagreement with Avid.

I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional, so I'm aware of the kind of processes and API's in the Windows background one can take advantage of that if one isn't careful how they attach to it when writing software, it can cause crashes of your product later, especially with the right kind of updates in Windows. Avid apparently attached to a Windows IE security process in the background that got changed with IE8.

I can see Avid targeting a certain number of computer platforms to support, but not the attaching of specific processes in the Windows background where an update can cause Pro Tools to stop working altogether. Never had that kind of thing happen with various Sonar versions, and Cakewalk has to develop for the same Windows platforms like Avid does. You got a compatible audio interface, loaded the Pro Tools software and configured it properly, provided the iLok, and a PC that supports all that, it ought to work, especially if other DAW's work.
anguswoodhead
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Understand.
I was going to suggest you upgrade to Pro Tools 10.
It doesn't seem to have the same issues etc.
And does work with any hardware, even your onboard computer soundcard.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Understand.
I was going to suggest you upgrade to Pro Tools 10.
It doesn't seem to have the same issues etc.
And does work with any hardware, even your onboard computer soundcard.
I realize that. It's the lack of support for those third party audio cards that bothers me. Cakewalk Sonar is pushing the same potential problems but of a different type, since they no longer support WinXP, which I still use. In both situations if you apply future updates it has the potential for the same problem I'm facing now with trying to run PT M-Powered 7.4 on WinXP.

Also, PT 10 doesn't appear to support VST, a major... downer.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search