BFD2 Ram Usage on MacBook Pro
Old 19th April 2009
Gear interested

BFD2 Ram Usage on MacBook Pro

am running BFD2 off a LaCie external 1TB HDD (eSATA) on my MacBook Pro. I pulled up Activity Monitor and watched it as I loaded different pieces to the kit. After loading the 4th or so piece my screen turns gray and tells me to restart, which I'm told is a memory problem. I have 4GB of RAM installed on my laptop. I use Logic Pro 8 as my DAW and run my audio through an 8 channel PreSonus FP10.

So currently for me BFD2 is unusable. Any suggestions?

Nathan
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Have you tried loading it without the FP10 connected? I know that there are some driver issues out there with certain interfaces and macs with more than 2 GB of RAM. All else fails, you could take out 2 GB of RAM and see if that solves it.

BFD2 uses disk streaming, so it shouldn't hit your RAM to hard since it just pulls the needed samples in from the disk. There may be an issue with your drive. Although, if you are running eSATA (2?) then you should have plenty of bandwidth to stream the samples.

Have you tried running BFD2 as a stand alone application?

Have you installed the latest version of BFD2?

Have you run Onyx lately to optimize your machine?

Which OS are you on? 10.4.11? 10.5.6?
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaclown View Post
This is a very key question - from the initial release of BFD2 there have been a ton of memory leak issues which they've been working to resolve with each new beta. To be honest, I don't use it all that much anymore (use Toontrack S2.1 for the most part), but the couple times I've checked out the latest BFD 2.1 build, it's memory footprint has been massively improved. Also, check your preferences and make sure everything is set properly - you might want to select the "Load On Demand" feature. Good luck.
Old 19th April 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaclown View Post
Have you tried loading it without the FP10 connected? I know that there are some driver issues out there with certain interfaces and macs with more than 2 GB of RAM. All else fails, you could take out 2 GB of RAM and see if that solves it.

BFD2 uses disk streaming, so it shouldn't hit your RAM to hard since it just pulls the needed samples in from the disk. There may be an issue with your drive. Although, if you are running eSATA (2?) then you should have plenty of bandwidth to stream the samples.

Have you tried running BFD2 as a stand alone application?

Have you run Onyx lately to optimize your machine?

Which OS are you on? 10.4.11? 10.5.6?
I have tried using BFD2 as a stand alone.

I have version 2.1.0 build 47 which to my knowledge is current.

I'm not sure what Onyx is :S

And I'm running 10.5.6
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Onyx is a program that cleans up your system, optimizes it, verifies and repairs disk permissions and any disk problems, etc.

Titanium Software

There is the link. Its free, and it does work really well. Just make sure you do a back up before you run it.

Have you tried runing BFD off of your boot drive? I run superior drummer on my MBP using Logic 8, and I don't have any problems. I don't know much about BFD2 I must admit.

If all else fails, I would get on that tech support and have them take a look at it.

Just to confirm that you have already tried it without your interface hooked up to your computer.

What about when you load a preset kit. Same thing? I am just throwing out ideas here.

Reinstall BFD2? How full is your boot drive and your external? I know that once you get into the last 20% of your drive or so things can slow down.
Old 19th April 2009
Gear interested

I have run BFD2 with no interface, same thing happens. I would like to install BFD2 on my main drive, but I dont want 55GB of data clouding up my main drive.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Fair enough. 55 GB is a lot of real estate.

In my opinion, I'd run Onyx just so that you can rule out your system as a cause. How do you have your external drive connected to your computer? If it's USB, that might be the culprit as USB requires more system resources than firewire in order run fast. You might be getting a bottleneck in the data flow.
Old 19th April 2009
What brand of RAM? Sounds like a RAM failure.

Rail
Old 19th April 2009
Gear interested

My external drive is hooked up with eSATA, I have also tried it with FireWire 800. As for the RAM, it was installed by Apple.
Old 19th April 2009
So with BFD version 2.1.0.47 - enable Load On Demand... and what happens?

Rail
Old 20th April 2009
Gear interested

After enabling Load on Demand everything seems to be working fine. After tracking a quick high hat track into a composition I got a system over load message in Logic saying it could not process all the audio, but nothing since. Things seem to be running smoothly.

Thanks for all the help!

Nate
Old 20th April 2009
Cool -- you should check your RAM though... you should be able to load a kit with 2GB of RAM.. but it also depends on what else is happening in your session. Your DAW can only access 4GB of RAM (including plug-ins).

Rail
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear interested

general bfd question

Should I install BFD2 on my internal hard drive and use it as a plug in within logic? I have the space for it. The question I'm wondering is if my computer will process it fast enough so I don't get the disk too slow message. I have a macbook with 2gig ram (that came with it), a new 7200rpm 300gig seagate hard drive, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Thanks for your help.
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
Should I install BFD2 on my internal hard drive and use it as a plug in within logic? I have the space for it. The question I'm wondering is if my computer will process it fast enough so I don't get the disk too slow message. I have a macbook with 2gig ram (that came with it), a new 7200rpm 300gig seagate hard drive, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Thanks for your help.
You really shouldn't try to use BFD on an internal drive, you won't get much out of that configuration. FxPansion tells you right off the bat to use a dedicated drive for their product. The drive where your applications work is busy. It gets fragmented really really fast. A dedicated drive with BFD, which has an elegant file system which doesn't fragment hardly at all, is night versus day here, the I/O here only having to do the one job, find some BFD content where it otter be.
Old 28th May 2009
Gear interested

I found a good solution to work for me (and someone correct me if this is bad) is:

Internal HDD: Logic, Pro-Tools, blah

LaCie 7200rpm External (eSATA): BFD, Native Intruments, blah

LaCie 7200rpm External (eSATA) #2: Record to this drive
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Head

I think that's sound. Keep the project audio separate from BFD or Kontakt. The project files fragment more than a dedicated samples drive.

There are people who say you should further partition things, which seems logical enough; and even keeping things separated in folders as much as possible. I've noticed that developers do partition things quite a bit for testing purposes, it must be a thing.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search