Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Digi001 Question

So I know I am about 4 years behind the game in terms of gear but I was given a Digi001 interface and have been using it with my PreSonus Digimax FS with good results.

But I'd like to get the most out of my recordings and I was thinking about adding some outboard gear. I was thinking that some better preamps might be cool... as a tinkerer I am very attracted to the Seventh Circle Audio gear because I like the idea of soldering it myself.

My thought was that I would go from the SCA Pres to the 6 balanced inputs on the back of the Digi001... is this a bad idea?

I am open to suggestions... So far I have always worked "in the box" and I wouldn't mind hopping out of the box.
Old 17th April 2009
Gear nut

If PT 6.4.1 is doing it for you I don't see why not.

What gotchas are you worried about? Good pres last forever and can drop in to any system.

If your question is should you upgrade converters/soundcard first then the questions become:

Do you need a new version of pro tools? If so, what tools do you need - and what versions have them. If you use another DAW program this point might be irrelevant.

Are the converters you're using now "good enough" for what you're doing. Consider whether you're working in 44.1, 48k or higher resolution. Will some cheap piece of equipment augment the 001 well enough (some folks use the Behringer ADA-8000 for this - easy to find the threads in a search)?
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

There is a SPDIF input too, you could maybe hook up an API A2D!
Or get a pair of decent AD/DA convertors and use the SCA into the AD, monitor out the DA. Both of these choices could be used in another rig when you upgrade. Also, you'd need to resolve clock with all 3 devices too. New AD/DA, 001 and the DigiMax.

I still have a digi 001 and use it for recording band rehearsal. B&W G3 upgraded to a G4/500 with a 1G of RAM running OS9.1 and PTLE 5.1! You wouldn't believe how fast PTLE loads, in a blink of an eye!
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
There is a SPDIF input too, you could maybe hook up an API A2D!
Or get a pair of decent AD/DA convertors and use the SCA into the AD, monitor out the DA. Both of these choices could be used in another rig when you upgrade. Also, you'd need to resolve clock with all 3 devices too. New AD/DA, 001 and the DigiMax.

I still have a digi 001 and use it for recording band rehearsal. B&W G3 upgraded to a G4/500 with a 1G of RAM running OS9.1 and PTLE 5.1! You wouldn't believe how fast PTLE loads, in a blink of an eye!

Any AD/DA converters that you recommend?

Also, one of the reasons I'm like the Digi001 is PT6.4 loads in a heart beat and I can use plug ins to my hearts content. I am using an old Intel Dual 3ghz Xeon Server into XP (only spent about $100) and the thing is practically crash proof. If I upgraded to a newer PTs rig I'd have to upgrade my PC more than likely.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeek View Post

Also, one of the reasons I'm like the Digi001 is PT6.4 loads in a heart beat and I can use plug ins to my hearts content. I am using an old Intel Dual 3ghz Xeon Server into XP (only spent about $100) and the thing is practically crash proof. If I upgraded to a newer PTs rig I'd have to upgrade my PC more than likely.
Some RME converters would be a huge step up from the stock 001 converters.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeek View Post

I 2nd the RME. Also Lucid convertors might be had for cheap used.
Old 18th April 2009
Gear interested

4 years? More like 10... hahaha. But seriously, I've been using my DIGI001 many many years and I have to say that it has been the most solid piece of digital equipment I've ever had. I still have it in one of my computers in case I have to open PT sessions.

Digidesigns ASIO drivers are also stunningly stable, so there should be no problem running other hosts with your 001 if you like to.
Old 19th April 2009
Gear addict

You know, I just recently upgraded from my trusty 001 to an 003. I got a new Macbook, so I had to upgrade to a newer system and PT8. I will say that machine never let me down, and I was able to produce some really good results with it.

I'm actually using an 8 channel RME a/d/d/a converter with some outboard lunchbox pres and that is what I used with my 001. The first pre upgrades I did were RNP by FMR audio and they were great for the price. I suggest you check that out, if the lunchbox route is too big a leap for you.

The RME and Lucid recommendations are great though. My mom is running an 001 setup in her studio and she loves it. She's using it with 6.4 and is addicted to recording.

I refrain from calling her a Gearlsut though. haha.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search