Cubase 5 - Groove Agent One and Beat Designer ??
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

Cubase 5 - Groove Agent One and Beat Designer ??

Just a couple of questions here for those that are using Cubase 5 with the newly included Groove Agent One and Beat Designer plugins.

I currently do all my drum programming using the Piano roll and Halion 3. I am finding it somewhat cumbersome when you have many parts each containing a different element that makes up your beat. I was looking into Cubase 5 and I see the Groove Agent One and Beat Designer as offering a nice change up to the way beats can be programmed. I really like the step editor aspect, but have a few questions that I have been unable to find answers to. Hopefully someone can sort me out?

1.) Can one drag and drop RX2 files from the media/loop browser right into Groove Agent One and automatically have each slice become mapped to a seperate drum pad? I know you can do this if you slice the drum loop from within Cubase's audio editor itself, but if I can avoid doing this I would love to do so. I already have huge libraries of already RX2'd loops that I would love to be able to drag and drop and have assigned on the fly. Does Groove Agent one accept RX2 files?

2.) As far as I know, one can drag the patterns of Beat Designer to Midi tracks for further manipulation correct? In case I want to fine tune in the piano roll what I have done in Beat Designer, this can be possible right? Any limitations or anything I should know?

3.) Can Groove Agent one/Beat Designer have seperate outputs assigned as Mono channels? All I can see so far is being able to do this as stereo tracks. I like to do all my breaks in Mono, and love how Halion can assign Mono outputs to my drum loops. I would like to have individual kicks, snares, claps, cymbals etc being routed to individual outputs for processing, but in Mono. Is this possible?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers. If I have anymore questions, I will simply add them to this thread.

Andrew
Old 17th April 2009
Gear addict

1. yes if they are already rex files...
2. yes...editing normal midi as usual so I guess no limitations
3. not sure.. but could be possible...
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for the reply. I state REX works, what about RX2? Those are what I use, as I have all the work done from Recycle.

Anyone else care to chime in on whether MONO outputs can be set from within Groove Agent One, or is it just stereo?
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
1.) Can one drag and drop RX2 files from the media/loop browser right into Groove Agent One and automatically have each slice become mapped to a seperate drum pad? I know you can do this if you slice the drum loop from within Cubase's audio editor itself, but if I can avoid doing this I would love to do so. I already have huge libraries of already RX2'd loops that I would love to be able to drag and drop and have assigned on the fly. Does Groove Agent one accept RX2 files?
You can't directly drag and drop a REX(RX2) file onto Groove Agent One. You need to import it into Cubase first and copy the REX file into the working folder. And then, convert the copied REX file to AIFF/WAVE. Then, open the sliced AIFF loop in the Audio Part Editor, select all slices, drag them to a given Groove Agent One pad and release them while holding down the SHIFT key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
3.) Can Groove Agent one/Beat Designer have seperate outputs assigned as Mono channels? All I can see so far is being able to do this as stereo tracks. I like to do all my breaks in Mono, and love how Halion can assign Mono outputs to my drum loops. I would like to have individual kicks, snares, claps, cymbals etc being routed to individual outputs for processing, but in Mono. Is this possible?
GA1 has only stereo outputs (up to 16 stereo channels), so you need to select either the left or right channel or insert a stereo-mono plugin.

I haven't yet toyed with Beat Designer.
Old 18th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
You can't directly drag and drop a REX(RX2) file onto Groove Agent One. You need to import it into Cubase first and copy the REX file into the working folder. And then, convert the copied REX file to AIFF/WAVE. Then, open the sliced AIFF loop in the Audio Part Editor, select all slices, drag them to a given Groove Agent One pad and release them while holding down the SHIFT key.

GA1 has only stereo outputs (up to 16 stereo channels), so you need to select either the left or right channel or insert a stereo-mono plugin.

I haven't yet toyed with Beat Designer.
Thank you Yuga!

I must say however, I am very disappointed. Why does it always seem that whenever Steinberg releases something new, they are taking 2 steps back in getting full functionality over that of their competitors, or better yet, when compared to other software they themselves release? No RX2 support is just horrible. That file format has been out for over 10 years now since Recycle was introduced, and even Halion which is many years old fully supports the dragging and dropping of RX2 files from the mediabay into itself. What you described is quite cumbersome to simply get a file loaded into Groove Agent One, and completely unnecessary. Talk about a workflow killer.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Groove Agent One outputs as well. Again, a huge step back. Beats are almost always done in Mono, and with this being something that deals directly with beats, why offer only Stereo outputs? Again, other variations of Groove Agent One, and even Halion support the routing of audio to Mono channels. Knowing Steinberg, these are two issues that probably won't be addressed either.

Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Integrated step designer is nice (finally!). Soon I will try....
Old 20th April 2009
Gear nut

Groove Agent outputs up to 16 stereo channels fyi.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search