Gear interested

19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamofgod View Post
AUNotes should do what you need.
Thanks alot man! I am speaking with Presonus about some suggestions for updates - adding a built in notepad is definitely one of them. Kind of a nuisance to have to add a notepad plugin to each track. But it certainly will do for now!
www.strandedonaplanet.com
www.facebook.com/strandedonaplanet
www.twitter.com/strandedplanet
http://www.soundcloud.com/strandedonaplanet
Watch our studio bio video here and get to know us a bit - http://youtu.be/3hb_Zi_zry4
See our new video for "The Top Shelf" for GC Pro here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyylfNLrUJ0
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Some suggestions for the next S1:

(looking at Reaper there)

www.systematicproductions.com
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I just started this thread in Music Computers - Presonus Studio One wish list...

let's get some user feedback there and we will put together a list of most-asked-for features and get them to Presonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Some suggestions for the next S1:

(looking at Reaper there)
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Gear maniac

I' ve posted the following in the new music computer thread but, come to think of it, isn't it better to have just one thread instead of creating multiple ones? It just creates more confusion than necessary.

-----------------------------

I'll add a few more requests which are geared to composers. Bear in mind that I come from PT.

MIDI Real-Time Properties like in Pro Tools and other programs.

Score Editor with good printing quality.

A button with assignable shortcut to switch between piano roll and score view for the selected track(s) in the MIDI editor. Notes should be color-coded and match the color of the corresponding track. Very useful to me when you arrange for instrument sections (e.g. strings, brass, woodwinds, etc.)
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Sure, but this thread isn't a wish list, it is all about the new release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam View Post
I' ve posted the following in the new music computer thread but, come to think of it, isn't it better to have just one thread instead of creating multiple ones? It just creates more confusion than necessary.

-----------------------------

I'll add a few more requests which are geared to composers. Bear in mind that I come from PT.

MIDI Real-Time Properties like in Pro Tools and other programs.

Score Editor with good printing quality.

A button with assignable shortcut to switch between piano roll and score view for the selected track(s) in the MIDI editor. Notes should be color-coded and match the color of the corresponding track. Very useful to me when you arrange for instrument sections (e.g. strings, brass, woodwinds, etc.)
20th May 2010
Old 20th May 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Thanks alot man! I am speaking with Presonus about some suggestions for updates - adding a built in notepad is definitely one of them. Kind of a nuisance to have to add a notepad plugin to each track. But it certainly will do for now!
No problem. I hear you. But on the other hand, I appreciate the idea of keeping lots of these extra features outside the main app because it decreases bloat. If you have a super rock solid base app that is really efficient, users can add whatever features they want for their own specific workflow without requiring that everyone load all those features if they don't want them.

I kind of think a "modular" concept could help them achieve that. "Features" that can be added as plugins to keep the base core clean. I love score editor windows, but I think adding that to S1 might bloat it in some people's mind. Why not have it as a "plugin" you can load only when needed?
21st May 2010
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

There aren't many (if any) "medium to bigger" FR's they haven't already been heard or made months ago. There are always some small things the exist somewhere that slip under the radar of people who may not use a certain product, or FR's that come out of current behaviors that wouldn't have come up otherwise but all of the usual stuff has been FR'ed for S1 since day one... if not before release day by it's beta testers or others with access.

Also, a good portion (if not all or most) of the people on the team are musicians/users who've obviously used other daws so they're probably making a lot of the same FR's that we are.

I think their "todo" list is pretty long.

It does get wacky at times, some of the demands for FR's that maybe cannot be highly prioritized early on in a relatively new product like professional scoring, when there is so much more basic stuff left to do. I think they'll eventually get to most of the important stuff and along the way do some cool things that nobody has really thought of or asked for, like the automation transformer.

So personally I hope they find a way to get some of the more important editing stuff (and those kinds of things) done, but do it in their own way and not try to copy the others too much. One of the reasons I like it is because it's not like the others... so far. Lots of ways to skin a cat... we can't assume that all of the current ways are last word in the best ways. They only are until you see a better way somewhere else.

I think they made that point (at least partially) already with the general UI... so hopefully that trend will continue.
21st May 2010
Old 21st May 2010
Gear maniac

Definitely agree with you Lawrence. Considering what the S1 team has done so far, it's more likely they'll come up with their own way of designing new features.

To feck - is there really a difference between a wish list and new features that users would like to see in a future release? I mean, if I wanted to see something new or different, that would be a wish list--although a personal one. Keeping one thread is easier on the search function.
21st May 2010
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Definitely agree with you Lawrence. Considering what the S1 team has done so far, it's more likely they'll come up with their own way of designing new features.

To feck - is there really a difference between a wish list and new features that users would like to see in a future release? I mean, if I wanted to see something new or different, that would be a wish list--although a personal one. Keeping one thread is easier on the search function.

I am personally more concerned about making things easier on users of the DAW than on the search function. I want to make sure that there is a neat and tidy place to present a clear set of features that a group of people want to see implemented. I don't know about you, but if I worked for Presonus as a programmer, I don't think I would sift through 40+ pages of a new product alert in hopes of finding out what my customer base wanted. I would much rather have them contact me directly (which I have) with a specific feature set asked for by a select group of professionals. Now, whether they choose to listen is up to them. Gotta be in the game to win the game, so to speak. I am very excited about Studio One and the possibilities. And as a beta tester for many audio software/hardware companies, I know that developing an app like this is a massive undertaking, and there is no way to see it from all angles at once. Sometimes the most basic things fall through the cracks, and it is up to the users to help the developers notice those things. If they have been said before, than so be it - their importance will then be noted. If they haven't been said before, then hopefully a new idea will come to light.
22nd May 2010
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering what the S1 team has done so far, it's more likely they'll come up with their own way of designing new features.
I think so. They surprised people with the video support and their take on how it should look and behave in a general way, very nice for "video support version 1.0". But of course next year Cubase 6 (and PT9 and Logic 10 and Samp 12) will update and some people will swear they cannot make good music until S1 gets some version of the "super-widget".

I'm personally getting off of the Cubase update cycle. I love the power of the app but not that much anymore to keep paying for it every year in a recession where business is really slow. The free version 5.5 this summer will probably be my last update unless they cure world hunger or something in version 6.
Jax
22nd May 2010
Old 22nd May 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

I'd like it if the master volume control next to the tempo display actually gave you numeric values showing where it is currently set. When you change the volume it should raise or lower the number right before your eyes without having to do anything else (no holding down a key or modifier). It is often more convenient to adjust the master volume from the main window than it is from within the console.

Also:

The tempo display in Garageband is far more user friendly than S1's... to the point of embarrassment. S1 should adopt the tempo fader used GB. It is elegantly simple and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. And double clicking on Tempo down there should open the tempo dialog.... sheesh! With all the empty space down there, I'd like to see a single lit button that allows choice of the click sound.

The opening of inserts and sends for tracks is clunky because too much shifting away of the other tracks occurs each time the ----> button is pushed. The other view where the inserts/sends appear above the tracks is slightly better except when you have several things instantiated and the clunky scroll arrows come into play. I suggest tiny, clickable bars with the first letter of each processor that open the insert completely when clicked.

There are a few other things that bug me a little in S1, but that's plenty for now. S1 is cool but it has a long way to go.
Jax
22nd May 2010
Old 22nd May 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Is there a single place on the web where all S1 feature requests are compiled and can be added to? I don't have the patience to root through this long ass thread.
23rd May 2010
Old 23rd May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Is there a single place on the web where all S1 feature requests are compiled and can be added to? I don't have the patience to root through this long ass thread.
Future Feature Wishlist - PreSonus Forums

Bugs
Jax
23rd May 2010
Old 23rd May 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Thanks. I found that since I last posted.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to show only the channels I have selected in the mixer. Any idea? I've been pouring through the manual for awhile now.
23rd May 2010
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now I'm trying to figure out how to show only the channels I have selected in the mixer. Any idea? I've been pouring through the manual for awhile now.
If you mean selecting some channels in the mixer and hiding everything else in one step, no. There are mixer filters there for various random filter groupings though.
24th May 2010
Old 24th May 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstone View Post
Good call! I'll post over there from now on. It actually makes more sense thumbsup

Lawrence - once again I hear you and couldn't agree with you more. After having tried most of the major DAWs (DP, Logic, Cubendo, Live, PT) S1 is the only one that could make me move away from PT.
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010
Gear maniac

I've heard some great records made with Logic and it has alot of features and built in instruments, effects, etc. but I dislike the workflow...and it crashed/froze as much as any DAW-even on very high end MACs. I do not have either of these two issues with Studio One-and these are likely my two biggest requirements.

AND I can work on both platforms-PCs and MACs with S1-which I think is still very important with all the importance placed on mobility/compatabilty/file-sharing capabilities these days.

Even though I had tried several other DAWs before trying Logic (version 7 dot something) in college I just felt annoyed with how it worked...and I felt the same way about Cubase after buying a midrange version a few years ago (SL2). Also didn't care for the look/layout of either. They kind of remind of Adobe stuff-very powerful...after you spend hundreds of hours figuring out how to use it....but I'd rather spend all those hours doing almost anything else besides staring at a screen in disbelief trying to figure out what should be a simple task in a computer program...

I liked Sonar overall and it felt reasonably intuitive but I would experience dropouts and hanging for very simple tasks...not sure if it was the software, the audio interface or that I was using an included/lite/LE version but with the FS Mobile and Studio One it is just flawless-super reliable, high quality and easy to use.

Cockos/Reaper figured out the needs of many with that very simple, effective program...but its just a bit too lightweight for me. Studio One fits perfect right in the sweet spot of simplicity and functionality.

DAWS like Pro Tools are known for their audio editing efficiency, familiarity, etc. but Digidesign has been pushing overpriced, sub-par audio interfaces for years along with expensive upgrades and horrible customer service. All programs have their strengths and weaknesses and if your familiar and happy with what you have or have been using then stick with that......BUT I WASN'T...until Studio One!
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Head

Does anybody know how to get the tempo from an audio loop which has no tempo info in s1? in cubase you can set the loop marker to a region and just get the tempo in the menu. It just calculate the tempo and you can set the global tempo. Great feature if you have a free played drum loop, which you donĀ“t want to stretch. Anybody?
6th June 2010
Old 6th June 2010
Gear interested

i am a new studio one user. tried it because it came with my FS mobile and heard good things about it here. seems perfect for me . i dont want to waste time on the computer .i want to make music . im

comming from reaper and cubase and S1 seems to be a good compromise . simple and solid.

at first i saw all the things it didnt have compared to others but i am starting to discover and appreciate its own way and the things it have that others dont . what s1 it does it well and its all so slick.

i'm considering upgrading to the pro version. is S1 prospering?? i hope it will grow . i dont want tons of features like in cubase . just the small details that does the difference.

is there more actions you can assign to hotkeys in the pro version?? and a macro editor ?!?!? thats a simple way of giving more power to the user.
i really dig the keyboard shortcut window in reaper with actions like 'select item under the cursor' it gives room to create killer macros that dont require mouse clicking to mute, split or cut events in the project page ...
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Gear nut

Bump...
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I sure hope they are coming out with the folder track update soon - I really can't use it without that, as I don't want tons of midi tracks taking up space in my arrange window.
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I sure hope they are coming out with the folder track update soon - I really can't use it without that, as I don't want tons of midi tracks taking up space in my arrange window.
I feel the same way about Direct Monitoring as Cubase keeps acting funny...I want to use S1 but I need Direct Monitoring.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

What's Direct Monitoring?
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Here here! I just changed completely to the latest version of Studio one (1.5) and I have to say that it's a time saver for me, making aragements and programing sooo much fun. I used samplitude and Logic until recently.

Also: LM 32 v. 3.0 (beta) and poco v.4.0 (beta) are working great with the latest release here with Windows sp2 32 bit
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's Direct Monitoring?
I hope Presonus isn't asking the same question you are..

IT's a way to monitor directly off the input like a tape machine.
Unlike TDM where you can listen through the program and the TDM plugins..
ASIO Direct Monitoring is only for monitoring the input right to output.

So it will allow you to have your buffer on your machine set high like 1024
and track with out latency (delay).
Now Steinberg did one thing right.. The way they talk to RME's Totalmix software is awesome. When in Direct Monitoring mode you can move your aux sends in Cubase/Neundo and it's controlling the RME mixer. So you don't need to bother with it.

NOW!! The reason that is important to me (every one has different needs)
I could use S1 fine (it's awesome) but I would have to work the RME Totalmix software for each session.. Not a huge pain but one more window I have to keep opening to adjust for headphone mixes.. The biggest pain about that is.. The Totalmix is it's own thing..So it's not storing those phone mixes with the session like Cubase does. I'd have to remember to sore the Totalmix in the Cubase session folder if I need that same tracking session recalled.

It's just stupid... Most DAW's offer Direct Monitoring now besides Pro Tools Le and Studio One of course.

And now that I think of it..since I'm a smart ass myself. IF your question was sarcastic then ignore this...if not check out this RME info.

RME Tech Info - Low Latency Background: Monitoring, ZLM and ASIO
Jax
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I hope Presonus isn't asking the same question you are..
Lol... oh man, they better not be!

Quote:
And now that I think of it..since I'm a smart ass myself. IF your question was sarcastic then ignore this...if not check out this RME info.
Nope, no sarcasm in my question. Although I had several fairly accurate guesses about what DM is and why it would be wanted, I wasn't familiar with the term. Yeah, S1 absolutely needs it or the equivalent! I'm not surprised it doesn't have it, but a bit disappointed. I think they'll get it done eventually.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

AFAIK, they support it for their own interfaces, which have such option.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoelger View Post
AFAIK, they support it for their own interfaces, which have such option.
I know they do.. Sort of like Digi. but at least Presonus isn't letting Artist series owners suffer with no Delay Comp like PT LE users..

But adding ASIO Direct Monitoring would open the door to more users and more pro users who do not want to use their interfaces.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Gear maniac

I am considering Studio One instead of upgrading my Samplitude 10 pro. Anyone familiar with both and can give me some insight on what they would recommend. I have a major issue with samplitude 10 which is that it doesn't play nicely with my Allen Heath Zed r16 interface. Every time I open Samp I have to go into set-up and select my outputs because it doesn't save them. Really annoying and such a waste of time. It's been corrected with Samp 11 but I'm thinking it might be time for a change. Samplitude support has been less than adequate but the program is great so it's a tough decision. I have the feeling Presonus does a much better job support wise and I like what I see so far with Studio One even though I know it's probably not as far developed as Samplitude. Any opinions? Should I jump ship now?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search