Login / Register
 
FXpansion VST to RTAS Wrapper does it work in Pro Tools
New Reply
Subscribe
JDN
Thread Starter
#1
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
FXpansion VST to RTAS Wrapper does it work in Pro Tools

I'm very interested in getting the fxpansion VST to RTAS wrapper....I looked on their forum and it's very mixed. Some people say it works great, some say it doesn't. Tell me your personal experience with this. How's it working in Pro Tools 8? Does it make Native Instruments Kontakt and Battery more efficent?
#2
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: west wales
Posts: 1,791

recall is offline
I've been using it since it was released. I've never had issues with the wrapper itself. I can't say I use it often but for crazy little freeware vst effects its great, as you can't rerally get those for PT.

My favourites? Camelcrusher and the stillwell stuff.
__________________
For Sale UK/EU/WORLD:
DUY Everpack Native Bundle £120
MCDSP Synth One HD £85, Revolver LE £45
Soundtoys Speed HD £65
Studiomaster 6-2-1 - offers?
#3
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona

Send a message via AIM to soundsundergroun
soundsundergroun is offline
works for me
#4
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #4
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,680

narcoman is offline
never had it working with battery. - i'm not even sure it's one of the "supported" plugs..... Other than that - awesome.
#5
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Phrygian's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Sudbury, ON, Canada
Posts: 727

Send a message via MSN to Phrygian
Phrygian is offline
I've got the original version, still works great. It's definitely worth having around.
#6
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,593

Macky is offline
Recently got it at discount when that mellowmuse adc plug for Protools came out.
It came in handy for my Korg Legacy stuff which is the older non rtas version and it wrapped that no problem.
The only bug i found is that when you run the program, you can see it running thru your plugs folder and then they are indexed in the Apps window, so you assume (as it tells you search and wrapping complete) all is okay... BUT
You may find that certain plug do not appear inside Protools. You then have to go and highlight the plug in the wrapper list and in the drop down menu it will give you a choice to scan it again individually and that usually does the trick.
This is on Protools 7.4, i know you are looking for PT8 feedback but thought this may be of help
#7
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #7
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville TN
Posts: 12,931

Bob Olhsson is offline
Works great here. It allows me to use the Algorithmix equalizers in ProTools. I think the only folks who post in their forums are the ones who are having problems.
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
Music Industry 2.0
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
JDN
Thread Starter
#8
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
It's like 200 bucks. I bought it not knowing that PT already came with it... like wtf where was it.

I'd save 200 bucks and some precious time and headaches by not even buying anything PT related. Honestly if you're using LE or Mpowered, just do yourself a favor and use that money towards Cubase or something.
What's the point of this post??? first of all, it's all missinformation, it's $99 not $200 and Pro Tools does NOT come with it. Second of all, I'm not trying to have this derailed into a "pro tools sucks" thread....sheessh, stick to the topic or don't post
#9
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,033

DaKid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
It's like 200 bucks. I bought it not knowing that PT already came with it... like wtf where was it.

I'd save 200 bucks and some precious time and headaches by not even buying anything PT related. Honestly if you're using LE or Mpowered, just do yourself a favor and use that money towards Cubase or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
What's the point of this post??? first of all, it's all missinformation, it's $99 not $200 and Pro Tools does NOT come with it. Second of all, I'm not trying to have this derailed into a "pro tools sucks" thread....sheessh, stick to the topic or don't post
He's just a little bitter that PT doesn't play nice with his $3,000.00 Dell computer and it's not because of his Dells specs, its the engineering of PT. (cuz the dell was 3 grand, which makes it a great computer)



Go to the moan zone. There's like 51 PT threads started by this guy.

Aaaaaanyway...

I've been curious about getting the wrapper also. Lots and lots of free VST's out there I'd like to give a go.
JDN
Thread Starter
#10
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
He's just a little bitter that PT doesn't play nice with his $3,000.00 Dell computer and it's not because of his Dells specs, its the engineering of PT. (cuz the dell was 3 grand, which makes it a great computer)



Go to the moan zone. There's like 51 PT threads started by this guy.

Aaaaaanyway...

I've been curious about getting the wrapper also. Lots and lots of free VST's out there I'd like to give a go.
I was pretty much sold on it till I looked at the forum at fxpansions web site and a LOT of people seem to be having problems with it. Apparently, It doesn't work with a fair amount of VST's out there and fxpansion seems to blame the vst companies saying it's on their end. To me that doesn't make sense? if it works as VST, and doesn't work with wrapper, their wrapper doesn't work.

Specifically, I was hoping to get a little better performance out of my NI plugs(battery and kontakt) as well as utilize all the free VST plugs out there. But I can't even get confirmation that it works with NI plugs or what it will or won't work with.
#11
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,033

DaKid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
I was pretty much sold on it till I looked at the forum at fxpansions web site and a LOT of people seem to be having problems with it. Apparently, It doesn't work with a fair amount of VST's out there and fxpansion seems to blame the vst companies saying it's on their end. To me that doesn't make sense? if it works as VST, and doesn't work with wrapper, their wrapper doesn't work.

Specifically, I was hoping to get a little better performance out of my NI plugs(battery and kontakt) as well as utilize all the free VST plugs out there. But I can't even get confirmation that it works with NI plugs or what it will or won't work with.
Hm. That sucks.

I was gonna get it for the mellowmuse for PT, but had been thinking of it prior because of the mass array of VST's out there.

That whole blaming the companies if its not compatible is kind of odd though. Kind of possibly gives you a representation of their customer service.

Were those complaints about version 2.0?
Maybe asking about it in another forum (so much gear so little time maybe?) might get more input.
#12
11th March 2009
Old 11th March 2009
  #12
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,680

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
It's like 200 bucks. I bought it not knowing that PT already came with it... like wtf where was it.

I'd save 200 bucks and some precious time and headaches by not even buying anything PT related. Honestly if you're using LE or Mpowered, just do yourself a favor and use that money towards Cubase or something.
yo' Can we ban this wad? PLEASE.....I've really had enough of his BS....


groovey. I've just added him to my "ignore list" .... that way i don't get to see all the lovely BS he posts.. bye bye Cheese.
JDN
Thread Starter
#13
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
Hm. That sucks.

I was gonna get it for the mellowmuse for PT, but had been thinking of it prior because of the mass array of VST's out there.

That whole blaming the companies if its not compatible is kind of odd though. Kind of possibly gives you a representation of their customer service.

Were those complaints about version 2.0?
Maybe asking about it in another forum (so much gear so little time maybe?) might get more input.
i believe the complaints were about 2.0...if you're interested you can check it on the fxpansion site, there's a whole forum for the wrapper, though not that active
#14
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: In a house by the sea
Posts: 2,657

C Heat is offline
Mine works fine, not that I've used it on anything more than iDrum.

I bought it for the MM ATA pre RTAS version for $49 USD from memory - a special deal MM had with FXpansion.
__________________
“It’s better to write one really good song than ten pretty good songs. The songwriter who writes one number one song is more remembered than the guy who gets two or three album cuts.”Billy Steinberg.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
#15
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,033

DaKid is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
i believe the complaints were about 2.0...if you're interested you can check it on the fxpansion site, there's a whole forum for the wrapper, though not that active
I'll prolly take the plunge when I got the extra bread. (Just made a couple audio purchases amongst other "out of the blue f*ck you's" that life throws at you money wise)

If it is totally a screw up it's not a big hit ya know? Let me know if you give it a go.
#16
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #16
Gear addict
 
7thangelz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 428

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
7thangelz is offline
there are a few compatibility problems with some plugs (i'm thinking stillwells rocket, at least when it first came out) and some stability issues when scanning certain things for a few.

as far as blaming other companies, there was a recent thread at kvr where a vst maker tried to call them out but ended up apoligizing when fxpansion answered and corrected some of the issues and reasons why it would sometimes be up to the vst/vsti maker to correct any problems in getting there stuff wrapped. some coding geek shit.
JDN
Thread Starter
#17
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post

as far as blaming other companies, there was a recent thread at kvr where a vst maker tried to call them out but ended up apoligizing when fxpansion answered and corrected some of the issues and reasons why it would sometimes be up to the vst/vsti maker to correct any problems in getting there stuff wrapped. some coding geek shit.
I do understand there's some tech geek stuff going on that they can't change, but the bottom line is the plugs that don't work with the wrapper DO work as VST's which is all it's really intended to do. The companies making the VST's don't really have an obligation or desire(or they would make rtas) to see that their products work with a wrapper.

However, the company selling the wrapper does have an obligation to make sure it works with most VST's or make it clear it really doesnt, regardless of who or what cause the problem.

Anyway, can ANYONE chime in if this works with the NI products and most VST's and are there any PT 8 issues??
#18
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #18
Gear addict
 
7thangelz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 428

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
7thangelz is offline
actually, from what i can tell, the makers either request or get the needed package/info or code. especially if their users request it, which they often do, and it allows them to avoid making rtas.

here's an example of a company with an update fix in regards to the wrapper QuikQuak. Audio plug-ins for PC & Mac. FX and Synths,

they have a website and forum which anybody can join and they have an updated incompatibility sticky thread Fxpansion.com :: View topic - Incompatible plug-ins thread. ni issues with pt8 are also available here at gs and other sites, as far as most vsts, no problems for me (but i'm on pt 7.4) but that may not be true for others, like any other software.
JDN
Thread Starter
#19
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
actually, from what i can tell, the makers either request or get the needed package/info or code. especially if their users request it, which they often do, and it allows them to avoid making rtas.

here's an example of a company with an update fix in regards to the wrapper QuikQuak. Audio plug-ins for PC & Mac. FX and Synths,
It is nice to see some companies taking an interest and embracing the wrapper, however, the original point still stands. As long as the plugs work as VST's, that's all the companies are obligated to do. I still find it hard to believe fxpansion can blame the VST companies for their products not working with their wrapper.....I TOTALLY get that fxpansion can't fix this issue, the VST companies have too...but it doesn't change the point at all...apparently it's just not possible to make a wrapper that works with pretty much all VST's, which is fine, just don't sell people that it does....

Don't get me wrong, i really wanna buy the product, but i am worried, it seems like various people are having various problems aside from the list of plugs with known issues.
#20
12th March 2009
Old 12th March 2009
  #20
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville TN
Posts: 12,931

Bob Olhsson is offline
Anybody can write VSTs, the development software is free.

Some do it properly, some don't. Those who don't risk them failing to work with a lot more applications than just the RTAS wrapper. No software developer can be responsible for other people's bugs. That's just the facts of life.
#21
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
  #21
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 463

optikstrange is offline
I had the wrapper for a long time now and just installed pro tools 8 no probs at all.
#22
13th March 2009
Old 13th March 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
kafka's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,412

kafka is online now
I've had no issues with VST-to-RTAS v2.11 on PT8.0cs2 on XP SP3.
__________________
- It looks just like a Telefunken U47 - with leather. You'll love it ...
- Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny.
- It doesn't make much difference how the paint is put on as long as something has been said. Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement.
JDN
Thread Starter
#23
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 764

Thread Starter
JDN is offline
Hey Kafka and optikstrange. Have you guys tried it with Battery or Kontakt, do they run better? are you mac? If you're mac, what are some of your favorite free VST's, effects or instruments, cause it seems like there's a lot more for pc

thanks
#24
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #24
Gear interested
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13

timrowkins is offline
I've only used this with PT 7 and it all worked fine. The only thing to be aware of is that PT's plug-in delay compensation will not work on wrapped plug-ins - you will need to apply sample delay to other tracks while the VSTs are in use (unless this is solved in PT8..?).
#25
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,524

NWSooner is offline
It works fine for me. I used it on Pro Tools 7.4 and now 8. I primarily use it to wrap the TC Electronic PowerCore 6000 plug-ins, and they all work fine. I think I've run into a total of one plug-in that didn't wrap properly. (I forget which one, not one of the TC ones.)
#26
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,290

Send a message via AIM to Robert Randolph
Robert Randolph is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
It's like 200 bucks. I bought it not knowing that PT already came with it... like wtf where was it.
I don't think this is correct? I've never heard of PT coming with it before.
#27
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ProFool's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: BELGICA, THE FLANDERS, VENICE OF THE NORTH !
Posts: 1,014

ProFool is offline
Works great for me, except some VST synths & plug ins don't seem to like PT that much (mostly with free ones) resulting in errors like these (see pic)
I tried to show in another post
without much result..still trying to figure out why i get these errors though. cheers
#28
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
kafka's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,412

kafka is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
It's like 200 bucks. I bought it not knowing that PT already came with it... like wtf where was it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I don't think this is correct? I've never heard of PT coming with it before.
VST-to-RTAS is an FXpansion product. It doesn't come with any version of Protools, nor is the capability in any version of Protools. And it's $99, not $200.
#29
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #29
Gear addict
 
7thangelz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 428

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
7thangelz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrowkins View Post
I've only used this with PT 7 and it all worked fine. The only thing to be aware of is that PT's plug-in delay compensation will not work on wrapped plug-ins - you will need to apply sample delay to other tracks while the VSTs are in use (unless this is solved in PT8..?).
i guess you're talking about pthd, the only wrapped plugs i've used in pthd were uad. at home, pt mp, the vast majority of wrapped plugs have no real delay issues, others are shown in the the same way as rtas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the only version bundled with another company product that i know of is uad, made specifically for uad.
#30
14th March 2009
Old 14th March 2009
  #30
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: london
Posts: 3,039

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
toolskid is offline
Works perfectly with all the commercial plugins I've wrapped...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Benmrx / Music Computers
18

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.