Login / Register

Stupid iTunes 'Sound Enhancer' frying your ears?
New Reply
Subscribe
BevvyB
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Mindreader

Send a message via AIM to BevvyB
Stupid iTunes 'Sound Enhancer' frying your ears?

Been moving my monitors as I reference some music in iTunes

Seems that the stupid 'sound enhancer' thing was ON

No wonder my ears were getting shredded and my brain was getting confused

Huh

Bev
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

That said I am completely in love with itunes these days. I'm in the process of importing my entire CD library into itunes and catalogging it. I'm dedicating a terra fw drive to it so I can convert into wav files. Awesome ... everybody in the studio and office can enjoy the library ... No more hassle like 'where the **** did I leave that CD'. I come in ... open itunes on my powerbook and connect to the library on the network.

And fwiw I've moved away from all entourage microsoft office address thingies too ... ical / address book / mail ..... isync with my 9500 communicator .... how life can be easy ...

Before the summer is over I have one of the new 60 gig ipods and my CD charger in the car is history.
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

EQ is always off on my 'pod. I won't even use bass boost.

Fake surround sound 'SRS' is off on the TV as well.

"An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way." - C. Bukowski
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
the enhancer can sound cool on string samples!!
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Teacher
where do i go to check if its on or not?
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to zmix
Sound enhancer is a set to ON by default.. (Apple seem apparently unconcerned about pro audio...)

I have to send the following disclaimer to all my clients who listen to mixes on iTunes

"Please be aware that iTunes had a setting in the preferences, under the "Audio" tab which engages something they like to call "Sound Enhancer". This setting will increase the L-R component of the stereo signal and supress the L+R component. What does that mean? It means that anything which is only on the left, only on the right or has significantly different information in the left and right channel will be made louder (cymbals, percussion, BGVs, guitars, ambiences) and anything which is identical in the left and right channels (therefore "mono", Kick Snare, Bass, lead vocal, etc...) will be much quieter. Please be sure that the "sound Enhancer" is OFF before you call to complain that you cannot hear the lead vocal in the chorus, etc..."
7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to ransomRR
Yeah, cause iTunes is a pro app... Maybe it's the same reason any device that has a sound enhancer is on by default? Maybe it's because it makes small speakers (like the ones that are included with most macs) sound fuller? Maybe I took 10 times as long to explain this to you as it would be for you to click iTunes->preferences->audio and uncheck Sound Enhancer? WOW! 4 WHOLE MOUSE CLICKS ITUNES SUCKS OMGLOL!!!11!!! sheesh, iTunes has done more for music than anything else I can think of in the last 5 years. You guys should be kissing the install disc iTunes came in on for providing a paid alternative to free P2P.
8th July 2005
Old 8th July 2005
Gear maniac

i noticed in my car that listening to wav files off an ipod sounds worse than listening to the cd directly from the car cd player. thinner. could be the ipod's a/d or amp?
8th July 2005
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

The first time I listened to an iPod through headphones, I had to wonder what the hype was about (yeah, this doesn't have much to do with the ever-wonderful Sound Enhancer!) The guy who owned the iPod was on about how I should really hear it with better headphones on... so I reached over for the Grados that were in my bag... not much better. I can't even comment on the converter in the thing because the amp is so weak. Everything is hiss, hiss hiss. The original Walkman sounded OK, perhaps because the source was analog (tape) and it ran on four double-A cells. Later, I think those manufacturers began to worry about being sued by people who made themselves deaf, plus people wanted the things to be smaller, so they slowly reduced them to one 'AA'

Although an iPod is a great way to carry data around!

And hey, if iTunes and the iPod can get people to remember to spend money on music, then I don't have anything but praise for the both of them!!!!

8th July 2005
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by travista00
i noticed in my car that listening to wav files off an ipod sounds worse than listening to the cd directly from the car cd player. thinner. could be the ipod's a/d or amp?
How do you have the iPod connected to your car system?
FM transmitter and headphone output will sound different than the car/radio cable kits (i.e. BMW) that allow direct connection from the line level output on the iPod.
8th July 2005
Old 8th July 2005
Gear maniac

i have an aux input on my car stereo + rca->1/8" monster cable. the fm transmitter doesn't work in l.a., because there's too much stuff on the airwaves...
js1
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
js1
Lives for gear

The line out (from the bottom connector) has more drive and is of better quality. My car connection uses that, and sounds quite good.

js
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by travista00
Bill Machrone wrote:
Quote:
Apple's new iPod shuffle has stellar audio performance. In the bass registers, it blows away the competition, including its bigger siblings. I mentioned this in my review of the shuffle, saying that Apple's hard drive players lag behind some newer players in bass performance, but that the shuffle was way better than anything else out there.
... and goes on to talk about the tests he ran on various players when an Apple exec essentially challenged his statement. He also speculates from an electronics design point of view why the much smaller shuffle should have better sound than the other iPods and other players.

It's a good read and made me decide to wait for a player that sounds as good as the Shuffle but allows me to play WMAs and search, select, and sequence.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1777890,00.asp
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Gear maniac

Am I the only one who thinks (hears) that iTunes still 'nices up' the audio, even when SoundEnhancer and other crap are switched of? I a-b'd it with Foobar2000 and it seems like the top-end (7k and further) receive a nice shelve and maybe even a little distortion. Not disturbing, but it does rule iTunes out for any critical listening for me.
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

MP3's on my Treo 650 phone PDA sound better than on my Ipod mini
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I love the iPod. Everyone in my family has an iPod.
However, it is not used for critical listening.
It is what it is...a very convienent method of storing thousands of songs. I've downloaded many many Cds over the last few years eliminating the need to carry around cases of CDs. I still buy Cds and we purchase from iTunes as well.
The sound is not perfect and some of the purchased stuff does sound distorted to me.
However, I've ended up listening to music with headphones a lot more since buying one and it's amazing to discover some of the sounds, FX, mistakes, panning methods that I never noticed when listening through speakers.

It also serves as a nice little hard drive if needed. Once, just for the sake of saying "I did it", I ran a Pro Tools session from one at Sigma Sound Studios when the iPod first came out.

I have an iPod connected to my 2nd floor systems via line level out from the dock to a stereo receiver that transmits throughout several rooms. Great while in the shower. They're great for jogging.
I had the iPod option installed in my X5. Essentially, line level out to the cars's stereo system. Much better sounding than the FM transmitters i.e. iTrip. Great while driving although there's no way to select specific songs or artists without actually manipulating the iPod by hand. Otherwise the volume control and playlist select can be operated from the steering wheel.
We also have the Bose system setup in a small game room.

Amazing little device and iTiunes is a welcome concept.
But, If I want to check a mix in my car I still burn a CD. No question.
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Am I the only one who thinks (hears) that iTunes still 'nices up' the audio, even when SoundEnhancer and other crap are switched of? I a-b'd it with Foobar2000 and it seems like the top-end (7k and further) receive a nice shelve and maybe even a little distortion. Not disturbing, but it does rule iTunes out for any critical listening for me.
I wouldn't be too surprised, though I hadn't heard that.

Both Windows Media Player and MusicMatch Jukebox have bass boosts (since around version 6 or 7 of those playes, I think). When I noticed that a new version of WMP seemed much bassier I A/B'd it with the same file in Sound Forge and sure enough, a quite noticeable bump (as monitored on a pair of Event 20/20bas). Around 6 months later or so, MMJB came out with a new version that also had a bass boost. (When I complained about it to MM, they were nice enough to send me a semi-hidden link to the old version. But I eventually had to catch up. But my everyday listening is on a pair of NS10m's (all the grammar experts say not to use an apostrophe in the plural of an acronym -- but I'm not sure they were thinking of model numbers like that one. Screw the rules) -- so the bass boost is almost welcome. Almost. (But, why, oh, why, do they skulk around trying to get a "secret" advantage on their rivals by boosting the bass and claiming it's flat. That' beyond lame. It's deceptive and cheezy.
10th July 2005
Old 10th July 2005
Gear nut

Thanks for pointing that out, I thought I had put it down to the soundcard on my iBook being crap,

iTunes is great though, one of the most user freindly interfaces on any piece of software.
11th July 2005
Old 11th July 2005
Gear nut

I've used an ipod extensively and just switched to a creative zen micro player. The buttons are bit more fiddly to use but the d/a on it sounds really good. Comparable to my echo mia soundcard I have installed on my mac at home. I've been loving the voice recorder on it so I never lose any ideas. I did get some funny looks as I hummed a bassline into my mp3 player on the subway on friday though. The dude in the tin foil hat did give me a nod of recognition!

I've reveiwed a shuffle and it does definatley sound better than a regular ipod.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search