Login / Register

Any reliable VST to RTAS Adapter that you can trust?
New Reply
Subscribe
AMIEL
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Angry Any reliable VST to RTAS Adapter that you can trust?

I am mixing at the studio of a Producer and he have certain VST plug ins wrapped with the FXPANSION adapter that he wants in the mix.

Certain VST plug ins that were working fine are not working again because the FXPANSION VST to RTAS Adapter no to save them as Wrapped plug ins anymore!

You go again detect the Plug ins...no Problem! wrapped them...looks fine! close the application and are not wrapped!!! so you can not use them in Pro Tools.

I tried with the FXpansion Config application launched "To have the VST as RTAS wrapped" and also the same!

This is only happen with newer Wrapped VST Plug ins!!,,but this is so unreliable!

Any other VST to Rtas wrapper???

Maybe is old news..but I heard FXPANSION do not support their Wrapper anymore.

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
AMIEL
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Talking

21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

that damn thing never worked for me in PT 7.x. hopefully there's something newer and better. otherwise, someone please invent it!!!
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

To make the FX pansion VST-RTAS Adaptor i had to make a copy of all the plugins .dll in the Fx pansion folder called plugins.... and it worked flawlesly

-Alxi-
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Gear addict

it works with 99% of the plugins I have tried!
AMIEL
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
it works with 99% of the plugins I have tried!
Yeah ..but wait until fails!! ..the plug ins this guy installed recently , out of the blue are not working anymore because the FXPansion wrapper can not stored them as RTAS once you quit the program...and the support is so lame ...they just said that this is an known problem.....so ??? fix it!!!!
AMIEL
21st February 2009
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah a good new VST- RTAS wrapper with great support will be a hit!
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

i know this is probably just salt on the wound.
but i got my FXpansion adaptor when i up graded to 6.4.
i'm now on 7.4 and still experience no issues.
iv'e never had a problem.

maybe your install went corrupt.
their tech support is good ive heard.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post

well i heard the same...but are rumours that will Leopard the FXPansion have issues!...and seem the guys are FXPansion are moving svery slow...to none
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear nut

I haven't had any issues either. Sometimes, like Alxi said, you have to move the .dll files into the DAE Plugins folder for them to work, then wrap them. Sometimes the installer doesn't put the file where it should be in order for the wrap to work.

One thing I had issues with (I don't even know if it possible anyway) is trying to wrap DX plugins to the VST to RTAS wrapper, using a DX to VST wrapper first. I really wanted to try the Antares Mic Modeler plug, but could figure a work around! But for what it's made for, I haven't had many issues!
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

As far as i know, Fxpansion is the only company licensed by
Digi to provide such an adaptor.

The only alernative is to encourage the plug company you wish to use to
come out with an RTAS version.

jeff
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Banned

Never had a problem with it...have you made sure they are wraped befor you close out the prog....some plugs wount wrap when you DETECT..so you have to manually switch it to YES under wrap!!
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
GS Community Manager

Well, I have a problem where the wrapper DATABASE is not saved, but the plug-ins stay wrapped. So when I close the application and reopen it, yes, the list is empty, but all the plug-ins I previously wrapped are still in the Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins folder for me to use as I want to. Are you absolutely sure that's not the case with your friend, too? Just because he can't see the plug-in in the wrapper application doesn't mean they're not there to use.

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

make sure you have the plugins wrapped with the correct I/O in the wrapper window. I had this issue with the first version of URS saturation. I can't remember exactly which filed to look at but you just have to select stereo/mono.

Once I did this it worked.
Soundtoys Speed HD £65
Studiomaster 6-2-1 - offers?
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear nut

Also, some plugs will only work as mono. So you may be trying to use a plug as a stereo plug but it's not in the list and you know for sure it was wrapped. So you just have to use it as a multi-mono, or just use it on a mono track.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

One thing I have noticed is that some of the VST plugins don't play nicely together. For example, if I have the Stillwell plugins and the KR-Research Reverb FS in my VST folder the wrapper says that they are all wrapped, but the reverb does not show up in my plug-ins list.

Stagetec Mediagroup Australia

www.clinchfx.com
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear addict

I had this problem and deleting the preference files in my user folder fixed it. But of course, you have to redefine search paths, rewrap plugs, etc.

You can move/delete these:
com.FXpansion.Vst2Rtas20.PluginDatabase.plist
com.FXpansion.Vst2Rtas20.PluginDatabaseTemp.plist
com.Fxpansion.Vst2Rtas20.SearchPaths.plist

Not necessary to move/delete 'com.Fxpansion.Vst2Rtas20.plist'. If you do you'll have to re-enter you SN. I believe I also removed all the previously wrapped RTAS plugs from the PT plugin directory. They all begin with VW_. Rewrapping worked fine after that.
22nd February 2009
Old 22nd February 2009
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
I had this problem and deleting the preference files in my user folder fixed it. But of course, you have to redefine search paths, rewrap plugs, etc.

You can move/delete these:
com.FXpansion.Vst2Rtas20.PluginDatabase.plist
com.FXpansion.Vst2Rtas20.PluginDatabaseTemp.plist
com.Fxpansion.Vst2Rtas20.SearchPaths.plist

Not necessary to move/delete 'com.Fxpansion.Vst2Rtas20.plist'. If you do you'll have to re-enter you SN. I believe I also removed all the previously wrapped RTAS plugs from the PT plugin directory. They all begin with VW_. Rewrapping worked fine after that.
Didn't solve it for me, the database still disappears every time I reload the app... d'oh. Oh well, at least the plug-ins stay wrapped...
AMIEL
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Well, I have a problem where the wrapper DATABASE is not saved, but the plug-ins stay wrapped. So when I close the application and reopen it, yes, the list is empty, but all the plug-ins I previously wrapped are still in the Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins folder for me to use as I want to. Are you absolutely sure that's not the case with your friend, too? Just because he can't see the plug-in in the wrapper application doesn't mean they're not there to use.
Yeah that is the problem!

Those plug Ins were Wrapped and working!
Out of the Blue they are not being saved!

We scanned them again ..wrapped them and after we close the application are not wrapped anymore...

They do not show in Pro Tools anymore.

They looked like inactive in the session ..when you try to make them active ..PT says they are not in the Folder....

So what is the deal?? they are not being save in the database as wrapped plug ins...

There is a manual way??? where the Wrapped Plug ins go? any special extension?
AMIEL
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
To make the FX pansion VST-RTAS Adaptor i had to make a copy of all the plugins .dll in the Fx pansion folder called plugins.... and it worked flawlesly

-Alxi-
where are all the wrapped plug ins go??? the Vstplugins folder at VST to RTAS Adapter V2.1 is empty
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Didn't solve it for me, the database still disappears every time I reload the app... d'oh. Oh well, at least the plug-ins stay wrapped...
I just rechecked and now mine is acting the same - database and the search paths preference files are never written. But, the plugs are wrapped and placed in the plugins folder. This must be a Leopard issue (just updated recently) because under Tiger if you deleted the database, it would be recreated. There are a few people on the FXpansion board reporting the same problem - empty database.
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post

Yeah.. on 8.0 HD and no issues still.

edit: but I'm on Windows XP, and it seems like you are all using Leopard.

Mark
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
where are all the wrapped plug ins go??? the Vstplugins folder at VST to RTAS Adapter V2.1 is empty
If you're on a Mac, the plugins go to '/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins'
and the wrapped plugs all start with VW_

The folder you are referencing is where you put copies of plugins that you want to be wrapped.
AMIEL
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I just checked and the plug ins I wrapped before are in the PT Plug in Folder as VW ..but when I want to open them are not in the PT list of Plug ins!! so are working or not??

So what is the deal...the plug ins that are there and that the FXPansion Wrapper can not save in the DATABASE that are in the PT Plug Ins Folder are there but not wrapped anymore? or PT have to re scan them??
AMIEL
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Ok guys!

I think I fixed the problem for any of you that have problems with "Wrapped Plug ins" that are not being stored in the FXPansion Database .....but that are in the Digidesing Plug Ins Folder...but that are not working/

Go to Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins folder

delete the "Wrapped Plug ins" that are not working"

Open FXPansion Wrapper...scan new plug ins
Find them and wrapped them in the way you want.
Close the application

Now they will open in Pro Tools.
But maybe will not be saved in the FXPansion database ..but will be working in PT.

Just copy them and save them in a special folder just in case for later!

Seems also that everytime you will make a new scan to wrapp a new VST FXPansion adapter will corrupt or erase the newer plug ins...so save them in a new folder..wrap the new ones and copy paste the previous wrapped plug ins!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search