Linux Ubuntu running Wavelab.
New Reply
Subscribe
Lexadi
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Gear interested

Linux Ubuntu running Wavelab.

I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I love Linux because it's rock solid. Windows in known for not being stable. I have been wondering about using Linux for studio work but because the software I run the most is windows based I'm pretty much screwed. Well things may change. Right now I have Wavelab 5.0 on my laptop. I did some research online and I came across a Linux software called crossover. It makes it possible to install windows based software. I'm running 30 days trial version right now to see what it can do. So far I got wavelab 5.0 to work. I have Ozone finalizer demo running so plungs seems work as well. I do however need help getting my hammerfall soundcard installed the right way under Linux on my studio pc before I try Nuendo 2.0. Does any one know how to install the RME soundcard the easy and right way in UBUNTU? If you do please message me.
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexadi View Post
I love Linux because it's rock solid.
Me too. I have to say this so the rest of my message can be understood right.

Quote:
I have been wondering about using Linux for studio work ...
I have been wondering for several years and experimented every once a while. As of February 2009, Linux is not there yet. The problem is less the applications, there are Ardour and others. The problem is the audio architecture of Linux. ALSA supports less audio cards than it pretends to, and each desktop environment comes with a selection of audio wrapping and mapping engines you will not understand without reading their source code (which is luckily available, unlike sufficient time on my side). Linux Audio may work fine on the machines of their developers but is so perfectly undocumented that you will end up tweaking your machine in the time you intended to make music.

Quote:
crossover. It makes it possible to install windows based software. I'm running 30 days trial version right now to see what it can do. So far I got wavelab 5.0 to work.
This is great news ineed! I'll try it whenever I find a driver for my soundcard.

Quote:
I do however need help getting my hammerfall soundcard installed the right way under Linux on my studio pc ...
I had the same issue with my super exotic M-Audio AP2496. I gave it up.
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Head

Crossover has been around a long time and is based on Wine, the
open source toolkit for running windows apps on Linux. A lot of
programs will run, a lot won't. I don't think it's going to solve
Linux driver issues though.
Much as I like linux, I have no desire to run a DAW with it, or anything
more complicated than a meat and potatoes stereo editor or ripper.
Dual boot is my solution.
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to pounce
my macbook pro is triple boot, osx, windows, and ubuntu. but i don't generally expect to do any audio work in ubuntu anytime soon. fun os though.

paul
paper street audio company
www.paperstreetaudio.com
Lexadi
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Gear interested

Hi again.

Here's a screen shot of Wavelab in Ubuntu. Crossover is the software used to make it work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot-3.jpg (128.4 KB, 4465 views)
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Gear addict

Is Wavelab more or less stable in Linux than it is in XP?

I use Wavlab every day in XP and it only crashes once or twice a year, and those are related to a bug/incompatibility with a particular plugin that has been discontinued for 5 years. I know the workaround to prevent the crash, but sometimes I forget.

XP never crashes. There are some programs that can take it out when they crash. Vegas Pro 8 is one of them. I don't know if Vista is Vegas proof. But Vista is not a good OS for the the audio world. Maybe once Windows 7 is out audio software developers will realize the progress is a fact of life and that they need to move forward.

I tried to use Ubuntu server at home for a home media server but it wasn't compatible with my monitor. The login screen was too high for my 1024x768 monitor to display. Then setting up network shares was way to complicated. So I used Windows home server. It seems to be stable enough. I haven't looked at it for a few months but it keeps on serving, Jungledisk keeps backing up, and Foldershare/Livesync seems to be doing its job.

If you can run Wavelab in Linux, then how far are we from running Wavelab in OSX? The would be the answer to a lot of people's prayers!

~Jay
19th February 2009
Old 19th February 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
Is Wavelab more or less stable in Linux than it is in XP?
Well, as Lexadi stated, WaveLab does not run natively in Linux but in a Windows emulation on top of Linux. So the question is: Is the combination of Linux + emulation software more stable than original Windows XP when it comes to running WaveLab?

My answer is: I don't know and probably nobody really knows. It probably depends on the audio interface. If its driver is better in Linux and the emulation software passes a reasonable soundcard fake to WaveLab, he might get a very stable system.

Funnily, I do it the other way round. I use Ubuntu Linux to surf the Web. And since Linux does not get any sound out of my soundcard, I run it within VMWare on top of Windows XP, and Ubuntu works with VMWare's audio fake reasonably enough to listen to mp3s or watch Youtube etc.

Quote:
XP never crashes.
Lucky B***ard!

Quote:
I tried to use Ubuntu server at home for a home media server but it wasn't compatible with my monitor.
Ubuntu allows to use 3rd party drivers (it is some option in the graphical software updater but I forgot the exact ritual). For most monitors you can find a reasonable driver if you don't restrict yourself to original ubuntu drivers.
19th February 2009
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

my other little songs www.motagator.com/bmanning
26th September 2012
Old 26th September 2012
Gear interested

Hi, just joined; Excuse the bump, pls. :\

A bit of an old thread, hm.

Oracle VM, VirtualBox, running maybe Windows XP 64-bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
LOOK AT THE SIZE !!
Nice, small, optimized.. && completely useless. For me it's gotta be something that's usable; Otherwise, might as well just dual-boot Windows. For example, Xubuntu, or the new LinuxMint (again with Xfce, which is really great as of lately).

Mind you, WINE may actually work in this case with WaveLab; but, the whole WINE way is /at best/ experimental software: by design.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by nimd4; 26th September 2012 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: CrossOver is sweet, nice Lexadi..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search