Strange effects when using elastic audio on drums
mattyd
10th February 2009
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

Question Strange effects when using elastic audio on drums

Hi guys

I'm using Protools 7.4 on a Windows PC.

Been using Elastic Audio since it came out and I've been loving it. Saved the session MANY a time.
One issue though...

I'm working on a multitrack drum take right now. It's a very simple 4 beat (something I've edited without problems hundreds of times), however, now I've getting almost a flam effect on the kick when I put it into place.
It literally sounds like an accidental double kick.

The drums are obviously grouped and so are moving with each other.

I first thought that it might be that some of the other tracks were getting stretched too far and so you can actually hear the kick coming through on the the Overheads later than you're supposed to, but now I don't think so.
I tried moving the Overheads back a bit but it was still prominently there.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Have a fix?

Oh ya, and what does the "decay rate" do in the Elastic Audio properties?

Thanks.
10th February 2009
Old 10th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
Hi guys

Been using Elastic Audio since it came out and I've been loving it. Saved the session MANY a time.
One issue though...

I'm working on a multitrack drum take right now. It's a very simple 4 beat (something I've edited without problems hundreds of times), however, now I've getting almost a flam effect on the kick when I put it into place.

I first thought that it might be that some of the other tracks were getting stretched too far and so you can actually hear the kick coming through on the the Overheads later than you're supposed to, but now I don't think so.

Have a fix?

Thanks.
ooh...there's a million threads on how to edit drums with elastic audio. time to search...in a nutshell, it's a case of analysing, then deleting all the automaticall created warp markers, putting in your own in the right places (ie going through it manually) and then re-warping. Even then, you still get occasional flams. It's not a perfect system by any means.

decay rate should be covered in the PT manual - offhand, I think it's down to how the rhythmic mode works - essentially, it leaves the initial attack unchanged and stretches the decay portion of the slice - perhaps decay indicates how much of the initial attack is let through?
10th February 2009
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
Hi guys

One issue though...

Have a fix?

Thanks.
will take longer but use x-form. no artifacts
10th February 2009
Old 10th February 2009
Gear maniac

I believe you are experiencing slight phase alignment issues which happens a lot when attempting to time stretch multitrack drums. Some do it better than others... for example, I love Pitch n Time for orchestral moves, but it doesn't quite get it right on drums... whereas SoundToys' "Speed" seems to keep phase alignment perfectly on kits. X-form may help as the previous poster suggested. Good luck.
8th April 2009
Old 8th April 2009
Gear interested

x form takes f'ing forever to render..why? i could edit faster by hand then worry about this elastic B/S with random flamming etc... i guess it only works on drums that dont need that much fixing maybe? and soundtoys speed is kinda expensive..what like 495 or something?
lame..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search