Chickensys EXS24/Structure conversion
New Reply
Subscribe
andreªs
7th February 2009
Old 7th February 2009
Gear addict

Chickensys EXS24/Structure conversion

Unfortunately Digidesign doesn't seem to be in a rush to update Structure to improve the import of exs24 files. They should stop to advertise it as a feature!

I actually bought Structure at full price when it was released to convert my exs24 library to use it within PT. But until today that function is a joke, it just doesn't work - resulting in a worthless purchase for me.

Did anyone try Chickensys Translator for that task? Will it do the job properly?

Thanks!
8th February 2009
Old 8th February 2009
Gear interested

I really would like to know too! I'm in the same boat.
Not that I want to spend the additional $150 for Translator Pro...

And, the browser needs some serious work too!

First post!
mds
8th February 2009
Old 8th February 2009
mds
Lives for gear

Try it out...translator free should let you see the basic function.

For what its worth these translations really work well in my experience. I've tried running Giga, EXS, etc. in Kontakt and it is never quite right. Also tried using Emu samples in the Emulator X software and even that didn't work. Emu hired the Chicken guy to do the translation for them and it was never a great result. The issue usually comes down to specific commands that aren't supported in the destination sampler. Crossfades, keyswitching, etc. seem to rarely work right when translating...
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Garth over at Chicken Sys is really helpful, you ought to give him a call. I plan to do so myself b/c I'm so sick of Kontakt3 trying to play my EXS library that I may switch to Structure.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Charlie-O
You guys dont honestly need Translator for purpose of playing back your exs24 library in Kontakt or Structure.

Both (Kontakt & Structure) operate a little differently than the exs. These samplers CAN NOT have the samples in a diff. folder than the instrument files. So if you have a huge sample library you want accessible from Kontakt or Structure, than you should pick up redmatica's Exs manager, wich can fix your library by putting all sample with there respective instrument files. (witch is what you guys need to do) After that loading in either one of those formats will be a breeze. (from experience)

Charlie O

www.myspace.com/charlieomusic

Grassroots
andreªs
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

That's not the point. I am not talking about sample file reference. I've been using Redmatica's ExsManager for years in Logic...

I'm talking about the conversion of the actual program files. Structure won't convert Exs24 files properly into Structure's file format.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

ditto. While EXS Manager is a very helpful tool, it doesn't resolve the conversion quirks in either program.

I did speak to Garth at Chicken Systems today. As usual he was very helpful and thorough. He assured me that Translator would do a far superior job at converting my EXS library to either Kontakt or Structure. I've used the EXS-only version of Translator for years when I was in Logic (now in PT) and it did a great job translating anything I threw at it. If I had a patch that didn't work right, I'd email the file to Garth and he'd send it back working!
BTW, I DON'T work for Chicken Systems... it's just rare to find someone/company so knowledgeable, accessible and helpful. MOTU and NI should take notes from this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreªs View Post
That's not the point. I am not talking about sample file reference. I've been using Redmatica's ExsManager for years in Logic...

I'm talking about the conversion of the actual program files. Structure won't convert Exs24 files properly into Structure's file format.
andreªs
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

Thanks for the info, littlesicily! I'll give Translator Pro a try.

After the RTAS/Leopard disaster I finally dropped Kontakt, Massive, Battery and the rest of the bunch. I've lost my faith in NI. Don't understand what's going on with that company...

But that's another story.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

You're very welcome. Yeah, I'm gonna dump my NI Komplete 5 and have similar gripes about NI. One thing they are really good at... selling.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, littlesicily! I'll give Translator Pro a try.

After the RTAS/Leopard disaster I finally dropped Kontakt, Massive, Battery and the rest of the bunch. I've lost my faith in NI. Don't understand what's going on with that company...

But that's another story.
andreªs
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Gear addict

14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

I upgraded to Translator Pro yesterday and haven't had any success yet either. I spoke to Garth and he said the translations were working on his end. He also told me to fill out a bug report on their website and upload one of the bad files, which i did. I suggest you do the same. He should get this working. If not, I'd expect a refund.

Quote:
Well, Translator Pro doesn't seem to do the trick...

So Digi, What is up with Structure ? - Digi User Conference
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

andreªs
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Gear addict

I didn't buy Translator Pro yet.

Over at DUC I read 25ghosts comments on the app (see link).
Seems he didn't have much fun with it...
24th February 2009
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Well, thought it was only fair to report my recent findings with Chicken Systems. I had raved about past experiences with Garth/ChickenSys and that was true, but I wish my current experiences were better. Garth assured me that the newest version (5.9 build 65) would convert EXS directly to Structure. So... I paid for my upgrade (I had an "exs-only" version) and tried it. It DIDN'T work. I tried again, called Garth. He said to send some sample files to him via their website bug-report page. After 1-2 business days, I read on my case file to wait for the next build of Translator due out the end of Fed 09. I guess it DOESN'T work. Would have liked to know that BEFORE paying for it. Over at the DUC, 25Ghosts has indeed found a solid work-around and I'll be purchasing CD-Extract to do the job.
With no further ado, this is how you Convert your libs. to PERFECT Structure Patches - Digi User Conference
Translator is still a useful program and I'll continue to use it where I can.
19th July 2010
Old 19th July 2010
Gear nut

Hey does anybody know how this is all sitting now? I just sat down this evening to see if I could get my old EXS Library into Structure... Running into a few hurdles, especially with ADSR envelopes being misread in Structure.

Is there a "perfect" solution now to convert from EXS to Structure?

Ideally an incredible batch convert which would preserve all my file and folder hierarchies?

Fingers crossed,

D :-)

www.damiantaylor.com
19th July 2010
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. Many patches convert with the cutoff filter closed, and/or the release way too long.
I finally broke down and purchased Kontakt 4 and have been primarily using it for most of my sample playback. I was able to batch convert my entire EXS library (5000+ instruments) in a long evening.
I still use Structure 1.1 for some patches and functions, but for the most part have given up on AIR and switched to K4.

Also, I am converting using K4's built in "import" feature, which I believe was written by Garth at Chicken Systems.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search