Login / Register

Switch from VS1880 to computer based DAW?
New Reply
Subscribe
jnorman
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Switch from VS1880 to computer based DAW?

i have been using roland VS1880 for several years now, and know it well. it does reasonably good work for me, though it has its limits and at this point is getting a little long in the tooth - dont know how much longer it can last before losing the HDD or having some other hardware problem.

so, i am considering what to do next - i could get a newer VS, like the 2480 or 2400, and stick with the system i know, plus the VS machines offer a nice useable control surface with tactile faders, etc. i mix down in realtime to an external CD recorder.

or i can get a new computer dedicated to just audio. moving to a mouse based control on a screen will probably not be as easy as having a dedicated hardware control surface. a computer system would offer the ability to use plugins for convolution reverb, which might be nice. i would probably try Reaper, but any new software would involve a learning curve, whcih i dont have much time for.

i could use a little advice - thanks for any thoughts.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
but any new software would involve a learning curve, whcih i dont have much time for.
If you think you dont have time for the learning curve then you need to stay with whats working for you. You WILL have a a very large curve with the PC route, you have to accept that or not bother. I have a VS2480CD here btw and also do computer as well.
Problem with the 2480 is its discontinued.

Reaper would be a great place to start as its only $50 for the app. It will give you way more power than you ever dreamed of with your 1880. You can use any VS as a control surface with Reaper but you have to program it which again is a learning curve

If you dont have to sell the 1880 then keep it. Get a PC and an I/O box and Reaper and get started. that way you STILL have your 1880 to be productive while you transition to the PC

You need to go to Cockos Incorporated | News and post any questions you have about using your Roland with Reaper

Ultimately it comes down to how YOU like to work. the VS2480 is a fine box but has its limits just as anything else
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

The beauty of the Roland & Akai boxes and the like is they work. All the time, every time, anytime. Period. No pissing around with updates, drivers, OS's, DAW's, plugins, mices, bugs, etc. Plus nice faders that work perfectly without more pissing around. I had a VS880EX, still have, that I ran into the ground till the power supply went. 10+ years of absolutely zero problems. Not one. I'm seriously thinking of going from PC to something similar. I personally find trying to get a whole bunch of applications made by different folks to run perfectly in harmony totally limiting.

A box that records audio & runs flawlessly long in the tooth? Hardly.

Reaper is the most stable application I have used.

ns
jnorman
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

hey ns - by long in the tooth, i only mean that, like any computer, sooner or later the HDD or some other piece of the hardware will fail. other than that, i love my 1880 - it is and has been a fabulous machine, just like you said - i have never had a single glitch with it, rock solid in every way. and i really worry about losing the control surface if i move to a laptop or something.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
hey ns - by long in the tooth, i only mean that, like any computer, sooner or later the HDD or some other piece of the hardware will fail. other than that, i love my 1880 - it is and has been a fabulous machine, just like you said - i have never had a single glitch with it, rock solid in every way. and i really worry about losing the control surface if i move to a laptop or something.
Sure. I just been having a look round to see what's currently available. Seems the VS stuff is gone, Akai the same. There's so much to be said for systems that you can just forget about and get on with all things musical without any interruptions.

All the best.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search