New Reply
Subscribe
DAT
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to DAT Send a message via Yahoo to DAT
acid for mac

Hey is there a program like acid pro 5 for mac with alot of the same features can u list a few cheers

www.maddzulumusic.com
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005

Garageband, Soundtrack Pro, Logic Express, Logic Pro. All can do loopbased stuff with automatic time stretching/pitch shifting.

DrMS. Focus on your stereo field. - NEW AAX Native 64 v4.0.1 OUT NOW!
DrMS spatial processor - native AAX64/RTAS/AU/VST plugin ยป

Product Support Engineer for
Joystick Audio - Benelux High End Distributor
http://www.joystick.be
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
Ableton Live... www.ableton.com
Ah, yes, how could i forget about that one
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

acid for mac? mac and me?
theother
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
theother

There are similar things but nothing is really like ACID.

I tried them all. The closest candidate is Ableton.

The stretch alogorithms are not in the same league as ACID.

There are more parameters in Ableton for it but whatever you do it never sound as good as ACID.

With drum loops you won't notice but try a bass or acoustic guitar.

Very smooth in ACID. No artifacts and best of all it plays right out of the box, no tweaking.

Since ACID is now rewire-slave I can run it with Nuendo/Cubase and were able to drop Ableton.

Ableton has nice FX's though.

ACID was the reason I bought my first PC.

And now I don't have a Mac anymore.
DAT
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to DAT Send a message via Yahoo to DAT
ok thanks guys i'll check out these programs you mentioned actually i think a have live it came with my protools bundle

www.maddzulumusic.com
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to ekimeno
Hmm...wasn't the guy who designed Garage Band the same guy that designed Acid?

Yes - Acid was what got me started with this music nonsense! Just so f*cking easy to use - I was making tunes from scratchin an afternoon using just Reason and Acid

Since getting a 'proper' DAW (DP), though, things take a little longer...
theother
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimeno

Yes - Acid was what got me started with this music nonsense! Just so f*cking easy to use - I was making tunes from scratchin an afternoon using just Reason and Acid

that's the reason why rewiring Acid with a proper DAW is all the fun.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help since you're on Mac....unless....you get a PC
28th June 2005
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Guru

Garageband is very, very similar to ACID. Or at least ACID 3... I have ACID Pro 3 and a Mac user looking over my shoulder was convinced it was "a PC version of Garageband."

Which cracked me up, since ACID came out in 1998 and GB came out last year... I've also heard that GB was designed by one of ACID's creators. Don't know if it's true or not. But, regardless, the interface, track, window, and tool layout in the first version of GB was virtually identical to that of Acid 3. (GB added little instrument icons to allow one to identify track types.)

An important and key addition to GB was virtual instruments -- although they put a big hit on the CPU. And the latest Garageband has added some new features, as well, which I'm a bit hazy on. I believe they've extended some of the recording capabilities. I'm sure you can find out about them at apple.com.

One important difference: where Acid (3 at any rate) is super-efficient and can crank out some big track counts on full audio tracks, GB is very CPU-hungry. My friends were getting very low track counts with GB when it came out -- usually running on beefy dual G4s. (I don't really know anyone who's still playing with it but a lot of folks out there on the web -- and the media -- really seem to enjoy it.)

But my friends were reporting sometimes as few as 10 audio tracks when using a couple of virtual instruments.

By contrast, I ran Acid Pro 3 through its paces on my ancient desktop, a 500 MHz Pentium 3 (from about 2000 AD) -- I started with one of the demo tracks which already had 12 loop tracks. I then started adding regular linear audio tracks. I ran out of time around the time I was adding my 20th stereo pair (the equiv of 40 mono tracks, if you will) but the machine didn't seem to be breathing hard...
29th June 2005
Old 29th June 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
One important difference: where Acid (3 at any rate) is super-efficient and can crank out some big track counts on full audio tracks, GB is very CPU-hungry. My friends were getting very low track counts with GB when it came out -- usually running on beefy dual G4s. (I don't really know anyone who's still playing with it but a lot of folks out there on the web -- and the media -- really seem to enjoy it.)

But my friends were reporting sometimes as few as 10 audio tracks when using a couple of virtual instruments.

By contrast, I ran Acid Pro 3 through its paces on my ancient desktop, a 500 MHz Pentium 3 (from about 2000 AD) -- I started with one of the demo tracks which already had 12 loop tracks. I then started adding regular linear audio tracks. I ran out of time around the time I was adding my 20th stereo pair (the equiv of 40 mono tracks, if you will) but the machine didn't seem to be breathing hard...
I have both GarageBand and ACID and the performance issues for me are night and day. GB is basically unworkably sluggish when I get up to 12 tracks or so and start to add some effects. I've got a fairly fast mac, too: 1.5 Ghz with 1 Gig Ram.

I will say this, though: I just did two demos for a TV commercial. The director commented that they were some of the best sounding demos he'd ever heard. What he didn't know was...

They were both done in GarageBand!

It worked great as a quick-n-dirty demo creator. I use DP for final stuff, though, for obvious reasons.

-KD03
29th June 2005
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Hey is there a program like acid pro 5 for mac with alot of the same features can u list a few cheers
Wait for an intel mac, then run acid on xp.

30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd03
I have both GarageBand and ACID and the performance issues for me are night and day. GB is basically unworkably sluggish when I get up to 12 tracks or so and start to add some effects. I've got a fairly fast mac, too: 1.5 Ghz with 1 Gig Ram.

I will say this, though: I just did two demos for a TV commercial. The director commented that they were some of the best sounding demos he'd ever heard. What he didn't know was...

They were both done in GarageBand!

It worked great as a quick-n-dirty demo creator. I use DP for final stuff, though, for obvious reasons.

-KD03

I'd say it paid for itself!

Uh... do you have that director's number, I've got some killer tracks I whipped up in Band-in-a-Box...
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimeno

Me too. I bought a PC back in the day (2000 A.D.) just so I could use this wonderful Sonic Foundry application called Acid Pro. Wot a kick! I was cranking out song after song after song... I haven't run across anything like it either, but then again, I haven't spent as much time with any of the applications that are around now.
30th June 2005
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

I found that, using ACID, I could create music much faster than I could listen to it...

And I'm still wrestling with the implications of that.

[PS... despite my great admiration for the technology, I never really warmed up to working with ACID. But it's clearly the nazz for quick and dirty commercial music production. A great tool. As I'm sure GB will also prove to be.]
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search