Login / Register

Cubase 5's Pitch Shift Is Better Than Melodyne!
New Reply
Subscribe
author
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Cubase 5's Pitch Shift Is Better Than Melodyne! (NOT!)

Nobody will accuse me of being a Steinberg fanboy, but if this video is for real, Cubase 5 can put Melodyne out of business:

MusoTalk: Cubase 5 Teil 4

EDIT, January 6, 2010: Maybe I should mention that I bought Cubase 5 -- and I can assure everybody that its pitch shift is absolutely and UTTERLY worthless, compared to Melodyne.
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

He sets the microtuning in melodyne too high.

I'd also like to know if there is something like the melodynes pitch drift correction in the c5... there is just this microtuning flattening tool that I use very very seldom because of exactly that effect that you can hear in the melodyne example.
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Gear addict

Wow .. let's keep our feet on the ground ....

As I said on Cubase.net; having played with both, it depends on the source material.
In some cases Melodyne will be better, in some cases the C5 Pitch algo will be better. Just like you try different EQ's, until you find the "best" one for the job. On another job, another EQ might do a better job.

For some users, C5 will consistenly be better, for some users Melodyne will consistenly be better. Bottom line is that the C5 algo is good. Maybe not the best, but very good.

Fredo
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
He sets the microtuning in melodyne too high.

I'd also like to know if there is something like the melodynes pitch drift correction in the c5... there is just this microtuning flattening tool that I use very very seldom because of exactly that effect that you can hear in the melodyne example.
Hm, Cubase doesn't seem to have this problem.
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
this seems to be the dark horse, something i basically dismissed as yet another add-on the daw makers are doing more and more to keep up with the competition (and granted, get new users), but this pitch thingy keeps getting some nice reviews. still a wait and see, what works for some may not work for you...and all the other cliches i can't think of right now.
author
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
this pitch thingy keeps getting some nice reviews.
I haven't heard much about it yet -- do you have any links?
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

take it easy. let us remember that cubase 5 and the new excellent elastic pitch in protools 8 r new algo's going up against the older melodyne and melodyne holds its own.

when melodyne drops their new updated algo with direct note access the bar will be set again.

dont think folks will be pulling up cubase in the middle of sessions to tweak vocals for major releases in protools or logic
author
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
the new excellent elastic pitch in protools 8
You're the first I've seen describe PT's elastic pitch as excellent. What's special about it, compared to the competition?

Quote:
when melodyne drops their new updated algo with direct note access the bar will be set again.
They never talk about improving the sound; it's all DNA, DNA, DNA...
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
You're the first I've seen describe PT's elastic pitch as excellent. What's special about it, compared to the competition?

They never talk about improving the sound; it's all DNA, DNA, DNA...

PT's elastic "stuff" is very good and very simple. try it. Elastic Pitch Is melodyne-esque and it opens up direct in HD- no "brg" needed

To do what DNA requires they will have to update the algo's. Plus to stay in business they will update the algos. They were light years ahead of everyone with melodyne when they dropped it. It's always a moving target.

Think Cubase will be better served to keep it's eye on logic pro than "putting melodyne out of business".
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
naw, i don't think it will replace melo or autotune, but the option to use it 'in-house' for monophonic sources has it's appeal to many.

as far as the link that first made me temper my cynicism, it was at the uad forums under 'namm', and at the cubendo forum (a link someone gave me at the uad forum with audio examples). let me qualify it though, it's not like an overwhelming legion of folks, but it's that i didn't even pay it any mind and ultimately for me, it still pales in comparison to the proper stem mixing ability and multi-export

UAD Forums • View topic - About Namm...
Cubase 5 - Screenshots - Unofficial Cubase and Nuendo User Forums
mds
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
mds
Lives for gear

PT elastic audio is very good. I've done amazing things with it...particularly with changes to tempo maps. In a recent feature film project I straightened out a significant accelerando in a huge, complicated session and it came out great. Saved us a LOT of work.
author
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plus to stay in business they will update the algos.
Agree -- I'm just not so sure that they see it that way.

I have been communicating a little with them, and they don't seem to be aware that the sound does need improvement. In fact, I think they are rather pleased with it.

Quote:
Think Cubase will be better served to keep it's eye on logic pro than "putting melodyne out of business".
Ha, yeah as a satisfied Logic user I can't disagree with that. However, based on that video I still believe that the pitch thing could turn out to be quite an unexpected gain for them.
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yes, in the Musotalk video the build-in "Melodyne" (VariAudio) works better then the real Melodyne.

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Gear maniac

dfegad

Instead of worrying which algo is better than who's, wouldn't it be far better to get decent talent to work with in the first place instead of using mediocre singers/players that end up like spassy robots....where's the "keeping it real gone anyway!!?"

Obviously for sound design purposes these things are great.

Cheers.
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

It's quite surprising Cubase would be the one to take up the "pitch corrrection" baton and run with it and not PT and Logic. Yes the new elastic pitch is good but an auto tune replacement? Cubase GUI is still dfegad ugly tho.
The idea is great however. I for one would love to be able to do all my work inside the DAW's arrange/edit screen rather then jumping into a plugin screen - that always feels convoluted to me.

This is great news. Hopefully Apple Inc will feel the Germans breathing down their neck and up the ante (and give their Germans more $$ for R&D). Competition between DAW makers can only mean better products and cheaper prices.
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
dfegad

Instead of worrying which algo is better than who's, wouldn't it be far better to get decent talent to work with in the first place instead of using mediocre singers/players that end up like spassy robots....where's the "keeping it real gone anyway!!?"
No offense but this horse is dead and you can't flog it no more. Pitch correction is an
unavoidable fact in modern music production. There are plenty of threads on the net bemoaning the loss of "real talent" if you feel the need to vent.
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
No offense but this horse is dead and you can't flog it no more. Pitch correction is an
unavoidable fact in modern music production. There are plenty of threads on the net bemoaning the loss of "real talent" if you feel the need to vent.

Sad but true, everything has to be super human, goes for the loudness war too.

Cheers.
author
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is great news.
Yeah, I never thought I would consider to buy anything Steinberg again.

But then again, it isn't Steinberg but Yamaha who made the pitch shift...
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Melodyne is already way ahead of the game in comparison to C5. Their DNA technology is about to drop and will most likely lap the field

I have AT5 and Melodyne plugs paid for. I have that covered plus all of the reverbs/delays etc I will ever need. Also legal and paid for. I need a DAW with core tools that are stable, CPU efficient and function under a well designed user interface.

I used Steiny from VST 3.x through SX3. I didn't care for the direction of the forum/moderators for the Cubase Forum and the general attitude of the company conveyed via those moderators. I passed on C4 and have been more and more moving new projects to Reaper. Still in the learning curve but so far no stumbling blocks at all and the Reamote functions to use additional machines for effects processing is just awesome.

I keep SX3 around because my buddies use it and its convenient just use that to lay down a quick solo instead of converting everything back and forth. My solo stuff is now being done in reaper and I am very pleased indeed
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hopefully Apple Inc will feel the Germans breathing down their neck and up the ante (and give their Germans more $$ for R&D). Competition between DAW makers can only mean better products and cheaper prices.
It's funny how some people still think Logic is superior to Cubase. That was long ago.
21st January 2009
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle789 View Post
It's funny how some people still think Logic is superior to Cubase. That was long ago.
I don't really feel that it is or ever was for that matter. I just can't stand the GUI but that's a personal pref and has nothing to do with tech spec of the app.
Apologies if you were just remarking in general.

Apple has taken a giant que from Live about interface building and done a really great job. Next time around it would be nice to see them also upgrading some of the features. LP8 is essentially LP7 with a new good looking skin................

Give me:

• Updated Audio to midi converter (foremost the GUI)
• Intergrated audio editor in the EXS24
• Give us a workable way of MIDI accessing multi timbral instrument (just steal Live's setup)
• A fully routeable mixer. The new busses was great - go all the way.
• Elastic time & pitch
• Arpegiattor !!! (one that actully works)
• Sort out the the lingering bugs like the audio burst plugin buffer issue.

Cheers
J
author
22nd January 2009
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Melodyne is already way ahead of the game in comparison to C5. Their DNA technology is about to drop and will most likely lap the field
DNA is certainly interesting, but if Cubase's/Yamaha's algo sounds better, I'll prefer that.

I share your views on Steinberg, though. :-/
22nd January 2009
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
DNA is certainly interesting, but if Cubase's/Yamaha's algo sounds better, I'll prefer that.

I share your views on Steinberg, though. :-/
Problem is we don't know what it sounds like.. A video demo is hardly definitive
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cubase GUI is still dfegad ugly tho.
Lol if you think Cubase is ugly then Pro Tools and Logic must be wholly unbearable for you.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Lol if you think Cubase is ugly then Pro Tools and Logic must be wholly unbearable for you.
Dude, this thread is like a year old...
author
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Problem is we don't know what it sounds like.. A video demo is hardly definitive
Just saw this resurrected thread...

Maybe I should mention that I actually did buy Cubase 5 -- and if anybody's still interested in this subject today, I can assure them that the pitch shift is absolutely and UTTERLY worthless, compared to Melodyne.
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to inthere
DNA still needs a lot of work though.......
author
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
DNA still needs a lot of work though.......
That's possible, I haven't bothered to download it yet...
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Gear maniac

Regarding the new pitch shifter in Nuendo 5, is it a material improvement over the N4 pitch shifter, yes or no?

I'm talking about simple pitch shifting +/- 1-5 cents NOT autotuning a performance. The N4 shifter quality is not good enough; not only artifacts but it also causes microshifts in the timing of the track.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search