EZDrummer Multiple Output Question
booyah14
14th January 2009
Old 14th January 2009
Gear addict

EZDrummer Multiple Output Question

Alright guys I have been using this for a couple of days now with no problems. Today, I go to use it and I can't output individual hits into pro tools now. Everytime I click on the output section in the ez mixer, it never saves to multichannel. It just keeps reverting back to whatever track number it is.

So what in the hell did I change? Any suggestions?
booyah14
14th January 2009
Old 14th January 2009
Gear addict

I have scoured ezdrummer message boards and ran through the manual and everything seems setup the same as before. So did I just change a setting in pro tools? Anyone else had this problem before? Any suggestions at all? I just don't understand how I could get a couple of songs done using the multiple outputs to mix and now it just stopped working. Surely I hit something but what? I will even offer some free shit to someone that can help me troubleshoot this problem.
14th January 2009
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Not sure I follow the issue 100% and only have Logic 8, but you are sure you selected the '16 out' Superior Drummer option as opposed to the 'Stereo' one when inserting the virtual instrument on a channel yes..?
booyah14
14th January 2009
Old 14th January 2009
Gear addict

When I go into the ezdrummer mixer and click on the output section of a track. I will click on the multiple output option. However, it just defaults back to say Track 1 instead of the multiple output.

So I just can't keep the selection from changing back to Tracks 1. I tried clicking on stereo and the same thing happened. So that's why I'm thinking it must be some option in pro tools I accidently switched because this wasn't an issue for the last week. So now I can't mix the drums for the last couple songs of this band I was recording.

I'm sure it was something simple I did but for the life of me I cannot figure this out. Manuals for either have not helped either.

I'm running pro tools 7.4, mac g5.
14th January 2009
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

In Logic, when you select the I/O field on a software instrument track, it lists all the possible plug ins (such as EFM-1, EXS24, Ultrabeat, Garageband etc). Superior Drummer also appears under AU Instruments and gives you two options: Stereo or Multi Output (16xStereo)

If when setting up the channel you've selected Stereo and not Multi, that *may be* why SD2.0 is not be responding in the way you're expecting. Even in Stereo mode, the SD mixer still shows all 16 channels, but I've only ever used it as a stereo output so could be barking up completely the wrong tree
15th January 2009
Old 15th January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
that *may be* why SD2.0 is not be responding in the way you're expecting. Even in Stereo mode, the SD mixer still shows all 16 channels,
He's trying to figure something out in EZdrummer, not SD2.
booyah14
15th January 2009
Old 15th January 2009
Gear addict

Correct!

I have tried using every possible track to receive the multiple outputs with no luck. I deleted ezdrummer and re-installed praying that this would work but I am still running into the same problem. Has nobody else had this problem before? It seems like I have tried everything possible but I'm sure when I do get this figured out I'm going to feel like an idiot.

Any other suggestions?
15th January 2009
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah14 View Post
Correct!

I have tried using every possible track to receive the multiple outputs with no luck. I deleted ezdrummer and re-installed praying that this would work but I am still running into the same problem. Has nobody else had this problem before? It seems like I have tried everything possible but I'm sure when I do get this figured out I'm going to feel like an idiot.

Any other suggestions?
Hey man. Have you posted over at Toontrack? Toontrack Support Forum

Here's the deal with Pro Tools and EZdrummer. Graphic-wise, it's buggy. Mostly, when you change something, you don't see the change reflected on the screen. Here's what you gotta do...

Change one of your output channels on one of the EZdrummer channels... say.. the Kick. Click the Mixer button to close the mixer and click it again to open it. your change should then show up. It's annoying, I agree, but that's life. Or just make all your changes at once, ignore what the screen is telling you, then close it and open it like before to see your changes revealed.

This glitch can make it a little more frustrating when trying to set up your output channels. If this ISN'T the problem you are having, let me know, and I can help you out better. Also, again, post over at the Toontrack forum. They are real nice, and real helpful. The CEO even posts frequently. good, personable staff over there.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah14 View Post
Alright guys I have been using this for a couple of days now with no problems. Today, I go to use it and I can't output individual hits into pro tools now. Everytime I click on the output section in the ez mixer, it never saves to multichannel. It just keeps reverting back to whatever track number it is.

So what in the hell did I change? Any suggestions?

I use Cubase and ezdrummer and have for a very long time, from cubase sx3 to cubase 4 and it worked seemless

then a few days ago the same thing happened to me, no more multi outs, it stopped working, now all I get it is a kick drum for out 1 if I select multi outs.

I can't figure it out. I opened older sessions and they still have all the multi outs, but any new session I make will not work for multi outs.
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Head

There is a new version for download on the Toontrack website. Maybe that will help? I'm still having problems with dragging MIDI onto instrument tracks in PT 8. Toontrack said that they're aware of the problem, but since you're on 7.4 I'd try downloading the new version and trying that out first.
16th February 2009
Old 16th February 2009
Gear maniac

Ok, firstly, he's asking about EZDrummer, not Superior Drummer 2.0 (thanks for pointing that out too Chris)

Have your PT session running and EZDrummer loaded.
Open the EZD Mixer window.
Select multi-outs - its should say Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, etc as you go across the mixer for each instrument in the kit. There are generally 8 outs (Kik, SN T, SN B, HH, Toms, Cymbals, Room, Comp)
Ok - you can close the mixer screen as sklitrip mentioned and re-open to check the assignments (if you like).
Make sure you have 8 AUX tracks in PT (if you already havent done this)
In the channel OUTPUT on your instrument track, you will see the option to output to plug-in EZDrummer=> EZ1, EZ2, etc..
On the AUX tracks, name the different tracks as per the mixer in EZDrummer (makes it easier than just trying to tremember which each Aux track is!) - Kik, SN T, SN B, HH, Toms, Cymbals, Room, Comp
Now, assign each AUX channel input from the EZD plug-in.
i.e EZ1 - Kik, EZ2 - SN T, EZ3 - SN B, EZ4 - HH, EZ5 - Toms, EZ6 Cymbals, EZ7 - Room, EZ8 - Comp (or something similar to this).
Now, you should have each track assignment from EZDrummer into each AUX track.
Test each channel but clicking (or using your keyboard controller) to test each part of the kit and that they are assigned properly.

Add another Aux channel for parallel compression to taste and away you go..

Also, if you are registered with Toontracks, there is a multi-out template for EZDrummer in their user download section.. free
HTH - I'm doing this all away from my studio rig and going from memory - excuse any mistakes if I've made any!
20th February 2009
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have tried everything, It worked for over a year, never one problem, now only stereo.

In cubase when you load it and open the mixer window in ezd you pick multi outs and it makes all the tracks for you perfectly assigned.

I have updated, reinstalled, you name it, nothing works. I have used this program just about everyday for over a year and it was flawless on sl3, then sx3 and now 4.5.2.

I have no idea what has changed but it doesn't work. No more multi outs.
23rd February 2009
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear maniac

have you tried installing the 1.1.5 upgrade?
if not, maybe time to do a re-install completely..
25th February 2009
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurepoint View Post
have you tried installing the 1.1.5 upgrade?
if not, maybe time to do a re-install completely..
Yeah did the upgrade with no such luck, and yes probably about that time for a fresh one. I've got an image made before all the chaos started, but I think I'm going to finally give up and buy a new mac and keep my pc's for internet/email etc... I'm tired of messing with Windows for audio. I shouldn't have made the switch from mac to pc for audio, dumb move on my part.
2nd March 2009
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear interested

Hi, I got the same problem with logic pro.
I used to clearly get the two options but now I just get the stereo option.
I actually did the update a month ago.
booyah14
4th March 2009
Old 4th March 2009
Gear addict

Yes I have updated and tried everything possible but it is still not working. I had the 8 aux tracks set up as the other poster had noted but still no good. It was working before so I just don't understand how it doesn't work at all anymore. I don't know if it's a good thing that some people are having the same problem as me or not. Regretting buying this now.
25th July 2009
Old 25th July 2009
Gear interested

same problem

If it's any conciliation I'm running EZ Drummer with Logic 8 on an Intel iMac and I'm having exactly the same problem, my production has been on hold for the last 48 hrs. Would love some help, I have tried everything bar go out and buy Addictive Drums.
Kind Regards
Probo
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Gear interested

Thumbs up Had the same problem...solved it...

Pressurepoint was right...here's a simplified version...

1. Create a new software instrument track. Insert EZDrummer as "Multi Output (8X Stereo)"
2. Open the EZDrummer mixer. Assign track outputs as desired for each EZDrummer track.
3. In the LOGIC mixer window, under the "Options" section, select "Create New Auxiliary Channel Strips". When the pop-up window opens, enter the number of aux tracks (e.g., 8 Stereo)
4. In the LOGIC mixer window, select the I/O of a newly created aux channel strip. You will now see an option for "Inst 1" with a sub-menu for EZDrummer Outputs. Link them as needed.

Cheers,

Johnny
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Gear interested

SWEET!

Great Stuff! All sorted
Thanks for the reply Johnny
Probo
10th August 2009
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurepoint View Post
Make sure you have 8 AUX tracks in PT (if you already havent done this)
Why do you want 8 Aux's?

Is this to record to audio tracks easily?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search