Best waves plugins?
anemicrock
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Best waves plugins?

Hi can someone give me there opinion on the best waves plugins available. Thanks.

Running pro tools LE
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
has all the gear he needs

Waves plugs don't get a whole lot of love.......too many folks have had their butts WUPped.

Me? I'm on PTLE and I picked up the Gold Bundle a few years ago. Still get a lot of use out of RComp, L1 and RenEQ....MaxxBass is still cool.

Sunday Knows
anemicrock
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. Yea I heard they mess people around a bit but I wasn't sure what to believe. Think I'll have to think about this one some more.

Cheers
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Waves plugs don't get a whole lot of love.......too many folks have had their butts WUPped.
What do you mean by that?
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

The API stuff from waves are awesome.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

ssl collection and api are great.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

I only know the Api ones, I hated plug-ins before I heard some ITB mixes made with those.. decided to buy them (around 6 month ago maybee) and never regretted it !
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

SSL Collection
De-Esser
IR Convolution Reverb
PAZ Frequency Analyzer
L1 Ultramaximizer
------------
I wish I could afford more...
anemicrock
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks guys I'll check 'em out!
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Most of the R series. L1. Studio Classics. JJP.Doubler.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

From the ones ive used in my day ive enjoyed the Rcomp, Maxxbass, Q10 for surgical eq, Desser, Supertap delay aint bad maybe another here or there....
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
What do you mean by that?

The Waves upgrade program, which I have never had the pleasure of using, upsets many users by charging them additional fees for things that should, by all rights, come free.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

waves api and SSL gets huge amounts of love on these forums. I dont use waves products because I cant afford them. Massey stuff is fun for cheap for protools.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
The Waves upgrade program, which I have never had the pleasure of using, upsets many users by charging them additional fees for things that should, by all rights, come free.
I have to say something on that.
I was a long time angry about the WUP.

Till the day I had problems with UAD 1 card and UAD does not found a solution for weeks, but wrote me that they know the problem and can not figure it out.

For me a nice situation: Imagine you are in the middle of project and UAD freaks out.
So I had to do 5 mix-downs totally new without UAD plug ins.

I never had a problem with the Waves stuff and that is the reason why I pay WUP now with LOVE!!!

They keep their stuff up do date and it is for sure it is running and running.
THX WAVES!!!
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Love them all.
I have the Mercury bundle and it was money well spent.
anemicrock
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Well so far I have the doubler which is great and a duende 1.5 with the eq and dynamics. I can't run this until mellowmuse ata bring out their rtas version though. I'll look into all the other one's you guys mentioned though.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post

I never had a problem with the Waves stuff and that is the reason why I pay WUP now with LOVE!!!

They keep their stuff up do date and it is for sure it is running and running.
THX WAVES!!!

got to be kidding me - I have read some real waves hate from you Mr Holmes - what a turn-around!
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
RenEQ and RenComp are workhorses that always sound good to me. Anyone looking to get their feet wet in the Waves world without too big an up front commitment should look at the RenMaxx package, which includes all the Ren plugs plus the IRL and a couple others. It's a great value.

I have the Platinum, and to me that's the sweet spot. You get the most functionality for the best price there. Moving up from there you get some cool stuff but as with all things the cost goes up fast relative to the extra functionality.

IR-L is quite nice and I use it on every project as well as SuperTap and the doubler (as a harmonizer.) C1/Q10 still have their place if you want something cleaner sounding (the Ren stuff has a more vintage vibe.) C4 is a really nice multi-band, and L1, L2, and LL3 are all very useful. Enigma can be used for some cool stuff as well. For mastering there's the Phase Linear stuff.

If you have IR-L, be sure to spend the $10 and get the two DVDs of impulse files. It makes all the difference to have plenty of really high quality (24/96) IR files to select from.

The SSL/API stuff, as mentioned, is some of the best stuff out there today. For aggressive drums, the SSL is pretty awesome. For more laid drums I'd use RenComp/RenEQ instead. I demo'd the API and it's great and I'll get it when possible.

I always find myself coming back to the Ren comp and EQ. Yeh, the SSL bus comp sounds nice, but throw RenComp on the master bus with the right settings and it's may sound even better. For syrupy/slinky guitars, the comp in Opto/Warm mode is really nice.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

Waves v series and ssl do it for me. Esp ssl eq.
Never got the hang of the API compressor for some reason.
Still use the Rcomp for vocals now and again.
Z noise can be a life saver.
Q10 for surgical (but I prefer Sonalksis - adjustable slopes)
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Gear addict

I only own the SSL collection, but I have tried the API and the API 2500 compressor is great. Also the V-series is great too and I thought the VEQ4 sounded good. Out of all of the Waves plug-ins I have tried the SSL is on my "must have" list.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Gear maniac

The whole Renaissance collection are staples (RComp and the 4 band EQ in particular), as are L2, IR verb, and a few others...I even bust out the C1 comp here and there just so i'm not always using the same compressor. Supertap delay is handy if you need something to a specific tempo, and if you're doing any remastering of older stuff, the Restoration stuff is unreal.
9th November 2008
Old 9th November 2008
Lives for gear

I really like to use my C1 as dynamic filter and Deesser !

Big fan of the G Channel also !
anemicrock
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Talking

So pretty much most of 'em then yea!
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

The Renn bundle sounds great!
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
L1 Ultramaximizer
SSL E Channel
Renaissance Compressor
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Gear addict

I have the Platinum bundle and the V-Series. I mostly use the Renn stuff but also Metaflanger, L2 and L3. Overall I'm happy with them! The V-Series is what stands out though, at least for me. Highly recommended!

I haven't upgraded my WUP yet but will do so. I think it's fairly reasonable now, with no accelerating fees if you don't renew it and the fact that your license is safe, should your iLok dissapear or break. The platinum bundle has also been upgraded with four new plugins, so I think it's worth the cost actually. At least this time around..
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear
+1 for Platinum bundle being a great package. My WUP ran out a few days before they added the maxx volume stuff...:(
My faves...
L1
RComp & REQ
SSL
API
IR-L

Haven't been able to get into the V series... I try the stuff on every mix and always end up using something else.

I didn't get the impulse DVDs.... where can I find some good impulses for IR-L?
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post

got to be kidding me - I have read some real waves hate from you Mr Holmes - what a turn-around!
Do you read carefully what people write here?
I guess no!!!

That was my introducing sentence:

Quote:
I have to say something on that.
I was a long time angry about the WUP.
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Gear maniac

Do you guys think that the Renaissance Comp and EQ are on par with stuff from URS, UAD, Serato, Sonalksis, etc in terms of quality?

I'm looking for a good all round Comp & EQ for Pro Tools LE too (Mac)...
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOp View Post
Do you guys think that the Renaissance Comp and EQ are on par with stuff from URS, UAD, Serato, Sonalksis, etc in terms of quality?

I'm looking for a good all round Comp & EQ for Pro Tools LE too (Mac)...
Yes I do!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search